catcher77

Need help with GT14

catcher77

I picked up a Wheel Horse GT14 a couple weeks ago and am going through it today and found a broken wire that goes to the ignition switch but cannot figure out where the other end hooks up. Any help would be appreciated.

post-10546-0-48673500-1414853510_thumb.j

meadowfield

Will be coil, starter solenoid or ammeter - that's usually the one with the fuse in line

Edited by meadowfield

KC9KAS

If it came off of the ignition switch, it is the accessory feed wire....Cigerette lighter, lights, electric clutch.

It goes on the terminal marked "L" of the ignition switch

Now mind you, this is for the 1969, so I don't know about the 70's models.

gwest_ca

Is that a fuse holder? Doesn't look like one to me. Looks like a wire connector you often see on the B&S engines.

Garry

meadowfield

Is that a fuse holder? Doesn't look like one to me. Looks like a wire connector you often see on the B&S engines.

Garry

You are right Garry, I seem to recall mine having the same connector...

ol550

Looks like yours is the electronic ignition equipped Kohler.  Possibly the grounding "kill" wire for the ignition. :confusion-confused:

Theroundhousernr

Need a better picture of where that wire is going to or from. Can not give much advice from that picture. Either way, that tractor has the breakerless ignition and you do not want to ever put power to the coil or to the ignition module. Very expensive and hard to find parts for. Good luck.

oldredrider

Given it's current location and terminal end, that is the kill wire for the magneto. It connects to the bottom post of the coil which is mounted on the shroud.

catcher77

I did some more investigative work and I believe Oldredrider is correct. There was some shrink tube on the wire (about 3") that goes to I what I think is the "Trigger" mounted to the flywheel and underneath the shrink tube was a diode or resistor that the wire should connected to. I am thinking about going with the old fashion coil, points and condenser. Before I start this would I remove the "Trigger" from the flywheel? If I remove the Trigger from the flywheel what would I do with the wire from "Trigger" going to the "Stator"? Thanks for everybody's help.

I also would change out the ignition switch if I make the change.

Would this work? Let me know if I am missing anything.

Donnie

catcher77

Garry that looks like a fuse holder but is just a quick disconnect.

gwest_ca

Why not try and repair what you have first. If it works you have an ignition system that requires very little maintenance and works well. Save a bunch of cash also.

Garry

• Like 1

oldredrider

I'm with Garry on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's a good ignition system and mine (1970) is still working fine. Unless you have a bunch of engine parts laying around, it can get expensive to convert over. Then you would have points to deal with too.

catcher77

Update: Success

I purchased this GT-14 off Ebay a few week ago and it came with a 3 point hitch, snow plow and tiller (going to sell the tiller I have no use for it). The problem was it had a broken output shaft, just happen to have a replacement in the garage. The output shaft has been replaced and I finished up the wiring today (rewired original breakerless system). This GT-14 runs great now. Thanks for all the help.

post-10546-0-18990600-1414972933_thumb.j

• Like 2