KOHLER HEAD BOLT TORQUE SPECS NEEDED

BOWTIE

I HAVE A 1993 K341AS KOHLER 16 HP. THEY ARE 3/8" -16 BOLTS,

WHAT ARE THE TORQUE SPECS IN FT LBS?

THANKS BOWTIE

JustinW.73

If i remember right it is 15 or 20 but i might be wrong

BOWTIE

I JUST FOUND IT ON THE WEB. 25-30 CLEANED AND OILED THREADS. 

I ALSO FOUND THE TORQUE PATTERN.  THANKS

diamondred

Did it say anything about warm up, cool off , and re-torque?

rmaynard

Just remember, most questions like this are answered in the Kohler K-series service manual which is free for downloading from our manuals section.

Figure 1-6 on page 1.7, and 12-44 on page 12.17 show the torque values and sequence.

Section 12.16 also describes the procedure for proper torquing, running for 15 minutes, allowing to cool, and retorquing.

• Like 4

BOWTIE

HELLO BOB, THAT IS WHERE I FOUND THE SPECS. I HAVE NEVER RE-TORQUED. I WILL TRY IT THIS TIME. IT IS TO EASY NOT TO DO IT.  THANKS

BOWTIE

HELLO GUYS, I REPLACED THE HEAD GASKET ON MY K341 KOHLER 16hp. I DID IT BY THE BOOK, CHASED THE THREADS IN BLOCK AND WIRE BRUSHED THE BOLTS THEN LUBED THE THREADS. FIRST TORQUE TO 20 POUND AND SECOND TORQUE 30 POUNDS. STARTED THE ENGINE AND RAN 10-15 MINUTES THEN RE-TORQUED. I USED A GOOD CLICKER TYPE TORQUE WRENCH AND IT TURNED ANOTHER 1/4 BEFORE CLICKING AGAIN. I THOUGHT THAT WAS INTERESTING. I ALSO REMOVED THE GAS TANK AND FLUSHED, REMOVE FUEL PUMP AND CLEANED IT OUT AND REMOVED CARB AND CLEANED IT OUT. THE 1979 C161 IS JUST ABOUT READY TO SELL.

BOWTIE IN OHIO   

PaulC

im glad you started this topic bowtie. you doing so made me think about what I had done and led me to find all the proper literature on this.

I decarboned both of my 12hp magnums and didn't have a torque wrench so I just retightened them as even as I could to what I thought was 30 ft/lbs and never rechecked them. I have ran both motors for a while since and haven't had any troubles but now im thinking I want to do this procedure properly because ive since purchased a torque wrench.

so thanks to you and hopefully no one yells at me because of what I did?!