motor12

Painting Wheel horse letters

motor12

Any tips on painting the Wheel Horse letters on the front of the cowling. Are you guys using a small roller or painting with a small brush and a steady hand. Thanks

squonk

Get some rubber cement and smear it over the area and let dry. Shave the cement from what you want to paint. Paint letters and  when paint is dry, rub off the remaining cement . Done! Or get a professional liquid masker product. Same procedure

pacer

For raised letters like those cast in the metal - or other - this little gizmo does a fantastic job and cheap too. An artist ink roller...

Find a piece of cardboard, something like a cereal box - so it wont suck up the paint and smear/spray a slightly wet coat of your paint on it. Using the roller work the paint so its covering the entire surface, not too wet (sort of like painting a wall)  then roll the paint over the raised letters -- gently, dont bear down too much, you want it on TOP of the letters, may take 2-3 runs to get good coverage.

I was into rebuilding machinery - lathes milling machines, etc, and there was a lot of this type lettering on them and I would get so frustrated trying to get them looking good --- My lovely bride put me onto this roller.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/4-hard-rubber-ink-brayer-453035/

453035.jpg

• Like 3

rmaynard

I use a paint pen. Elmer's and Sharpie make them. I have one medium and one fine tip. I use them to print the embossed letters on round hoods, and when I restore my dash panels.

• Like 3

motor12

Thanks for all the suggestions, think I am going to try the hard roller. I will post my results...

• Like 2

Hammerhead

I would like to see Vinyl Guy make some decals for the front of the Wheel Horse hoods.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks for all the suggestions, think I am going to try the hard roller. I will post my results...

that would be great, I need to do the same thing. Tried a few ways so far on the 854. The results stunk.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Racinbob

I'm liking that idea too Glenn. I'm anxious to see how it works for you motor12.

• Like 1

55rj35jr

Agree with Bob,, paint marker is the way to go, but like hammerheads idea too.. this is my 701 done with a paint marker

post-5315-0-57742100-1414880471.jpg

Edited by 55rj35jr
  • Like 3

motor12

After seeing the results of the paint pen that 55rj35jr posted I am going to test both on a scrap piece of metal. I don't want to screw up the real thing.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

55 rj and Bob maynard. Did you fellas us the fine. Medium. Or bold point pen. I am in the garage looking around. I bought one. Thought it was the fine point. Didn't do it good. My fault. Might try ordering a bigger point job. All ready ordered the hard rubber roller to.

Glenn

rmaynard

I used the medium for my hood.

• Like 2

motor12

I used a paint pen and think it turned out pretty good, thanks everyone

post-14036-0-00858200-1414965689_thumb.j

• Like 2

55rj35jr

I used the medium for my hood.

medium also

I used a paint pen and think it turned out pretty good, thanks everyone

nice job,,, looks good...

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks really nice, I ordered the hard rubber roller, I ordered the medium point sharpie paint pen to.

Its all I need to do to complete the 854. Good information here. Thanks folks.

Glenn

• Like 1

Live4outdoors

Wow, you paint pen guys must have a steady hand...the pics you posted look great, I've seen a lot of hand painted ones rough, haven't got to my project yet but will soon and have to do this same thing.