Horse46

My C-101

Horse46

A couple of months ago I'd never heard of a wheel horse let alone thought of buying one. But here I am posting pictures of my new toy!

I had a couple of hours of tinkering today with a pot of gunk and a paint brush, it was time to find out if I've bought a bag of rust.

Turns out the little tractor is in pretty good shape, only surface rust in a few places.

The whole thing was covered in grime, but it appears to have had little effect. It runs, and the gears work, and I kinda like the patina on the tins, may even leave as is, Rat Rod style! I think the hot rod sort of look may have been what attracted me in the first place.

Horse46

Why do my pictures flip upside down?

post-14145-0-62836200-1414698965_thumb.j

post-14145-0-76652200-1414699151_thumb.j

post-14145-0-54599100-1414699281_thumb.j

Edited by Horse46
  • Like 3

meadowfield

Nice!

My first horse was a C-101, I later made it 4WD. I guess you are using an iphone and holding it upside down... Keep the lens to the top.

Mark

Edited by meadowfield

AMC RULES

Nice looking  :wh: there. 

:WRS:

oldlineman

Very nice, my first tk was and still is a 1979 c101 has more hours than I could ever guess. Only plows snow now but up to 10 years ago mowed 1 a and plowed snow too. And here in Somerset Co. Pa. we get snowwwwwwwww! You will enjoy it and it will last with a little love mine still great after 35  years and not slowing down.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cleaned up really nice. Let us know how you like it. Can't wait for your next one.

Glenn

Jparkes43

Oh boy is that a nice one welcome to red square

James

Geno

You started with a good one.   :WRS:

Horse46

Does anyone know what the little screw in the top of the engine is for? ( top left looking from the front) just left of where the throttle linkage pivot is.

I believe it's the reason why everything is covered in grime. It was loose and only has a washer behind it, I was going to put a rubber one on but when trying to remove it, it was to long to sneek past the throttle linkage. I have tightened it but I would imagine with the vibration it will come loose again.

meadowfield

Can't imagine it, have you got a picture?

Horse46

I will have shortly

Horse46

I will have shortly

Molon_Labe

The C-101 is a great tractor :WRS:

Horse46

The screw in question

post-14145-0-11872800-1414840595_thumb.j

rmaynard

Pictured is the bolt and nut that secures the governor arm to the governor cross-shaft. If oil is coming out around the shaft, I would suspect that you may have a blocked breather.

Edited by rmaynard

Horse46

Can u c the screwdriver just above it's pointing to the screw.

Molon_Labe

That's the retainer screw for the breather cover. If you have excessive blow by that area is where the oil would accumulate. The Kohler engine manual shows a picture, figure 10-2 on page 100. You can down load the manual

rmaynard

Oh, that is the retaining screw that keeps the governor gear from coming off the shaft inside the engine. Should be a copper washer behind it.

Edited by rmaynard

Horse46

I've pulled that out about an inch, and then did it back up, that's not going to cause me any bother is it?

Molon_Labe

Oops! Didn't see the screwdriver!

rmaynard

It shouldn't be a problem.

rmaynard

To elaborate on the oil leakage, when the breather is clogged or assembled incorrectly, oil can be blown out of any available hole in the engine. Here is a drawing of the breather parts and how it should be assembled on the K241AS. Be sure that the hole on the breather plate is down, and that the reed is installed correctly.

post-2221-0-62079600-1414844499.png

Edited by rmaynard

Horse46

My guess is that it's worked loose from vibration but I'll keep n eye on it.

On another note, I was told that the motor was rebuilt at some point, so I'm not worried about it. However I removed the exhaust today To give it a coat of paint. I was surprised to hear something metallic rattling about. I gave it a shake and a piece of metal fell out and it's not from the exhaust. I wonder if that is why the motor was rebuilt?

Said piece

post-14145-0-69801900-1414852391_thumb.j

rmaynard

My first guess is that it is a piece of the internal muffler baffle. I would not be worried.

Horse46

Curiosity got the better of me today, I had to cut open my exhaust/muffler. It was to good to throw and to expensive to replace. This is what I found.

Bob you were spot on.

post-14145-0-45859000-1415093694_thumb.j

Edited by Horse46