flyovrcntry

The Big C

flyovrcntry

I was diagnosed with lung cancer and am going into the VA hospital in S. Louis for more scans and evaluation.

Does anyone have suggestions on which hospital and docs in this area.I am going to get a second opinion on treatment,and maybe a third.The only ins I have is medicare and VA.

Thanks, Bob

shallowwatersailor

Man, sorry to hear that! I'm originally from Chicago and up there is the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center of Loyola University Medical Center. My ex-mother-in-law was treated for breast cancer there and was successful. It was actually used as her second opinion and was less intrusive. There is Hines VA Hospital next door as well.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

So sorry to her this Bob.  I don't have any info on treatment in your area, but am sending   Best Wishes and Prayers  to you and yours during these trying times.

Firpo701

Bob...sorry to hear about this! Definitely weigh all of your treatment options. Second and third opinions are the way to go for sure. You are in our thoughts and prayers! Stay positive. Dom....

AMC RULES

Prayin' it's just a little "c"...  :thumbs: 

and you keep on steppin' Bob.   

CasualObserver

Man, that sucks.  I know my uncle had a double lung replacement done at Barnes Jewish there in St. Louis. Don't know how they are on cancer, but they did an awesome job with his transplant.  12 years later and he's still with us.

One of my older co-workers has been diagnosed with lung cancer as well, he was off for a few months for surgery, but is doing well.  He still comes into work one day a week. I don't know if he had to do any chemo or radiation or anything.  I just know he was off for surgery.

JC 1965

Very sorry to hear this Bob. My wife's sister is fighting lung cancer right now. She is getting radiation and chemo both. My prayers are going out to you and your family. Hang in there.

neil

My mother started her Radiotherepy today , prayers are with you. Bob from over here in UK.

Be positive mate .

DOC in Kentucky

Bob, Back in 1975 when I got out of x-ray school I worked midnights at St. E's in GC for a couple years as an x-ray tech. Then I worked as a tech at the hospitals in Belleville til the late 80's. That's why all my friends call me DOC. I moved away from the area in 1988 and have sold X-ray equipment for the past 25+ years. Cancer is not a death sentence today by any means. Treatments have greatly improved and its not unheard of to live many good years after diagnosis. My best advice is go with your gut, if you don't like what you hear, by all means get a second opinion. I do know one of the best treatments is a strong positive attitude. Like anything in life you will have good days and bad days. Fortunately with treatment regimes now days the good will out way the bad. Above all you have to keep an attitude of you can and will kick this thing.

Keep the faith and may God bless you and yours!!!

STAY POSITIVE!!!

• Like 7

JimD

Bob, I'm sorry to hear your news, but I'm here to tell you it can be beat. As mentioned previously, a positive outlook and attitude is your best friend right now. In my case, I went from diagnoses to surgery in a matter of a couple weeks, then on to four chemo treatments as a precautionary measure. It's been three years this past June and so far so good. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

Geno

Sorry to hear this also Bob. As Jim said, it can be beat and will be praying for you and yours. 

19richie66

Take two Wheelhorses and call me in the morning. I wish you and your family the best. Thoughts and prayers from Fla.

Jparkes43

really sad to hear, but get wheel very soon! i'm sure in no time you'll be horsing around once again

james

dclarke

Sorry to hear this, Bob. Like the other guys have said, stay positive and you can beat this. We'll also keep you in our prayers.

oaktown1987

In my prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMCIII

Bob - not sure how far you wanted to travel. There is always Cleveland Clinic.

Rob

wh500special

I know we all wish you the best during your battle against your cancer and look forward to you beating it.

I'm originally from Granite and still live in the area too. One of these days we'll have to cross paths.

St. Louis is blessed to have two world class cancer hospitals: the Washington Univeristy (BJC) system and the St. Louis University (SSM) system. Both have great reputations.

Your VA doctor should be able and willing to provide a referral into either system. If you have a primary care doctor they'll probably be able to do the same. They may even be a member of one or the other systems.

Gateway ( was st Elizabeth) in granite, st Anthony's and memorial in Alton, and Anderson in maryville will be able to pass you through as well. But your va doctor should hopefully be the shortest pathway since they already know something about your particulars.

Best of luck for you!

Steve

jackhammer

In our prayers also , good luck

Forest Road

Both of my parents beat it in the last 4 years. Hang in there! Gotta stay positive! We'll be praying for ya!!

flyovrcntry

Well AMC thanks for the thought, it's the little C. I have had my first three days of chemo and at home now really feel good.The Oncologist told me to expect that, but expect it to get really bad this week.

Thanks for all the prayers and have been giving thanks myself. That's about all I know at this moment.

Thanks, guys and gals