diamondred

Starter engagement.

diamondred

I have a 1989 414-8 with a Kohler Magnum, Seems the starter is only going into the flywheel gear about half way. Starter bolts are tight. Seems loud gear noise as it cranks. I just don't feel the pinion is coming out far enough to engage fully. Pinion is coming out all the way. Was this a problem with these engines?  Yeah , I know pictures...

I just replaced a pinion on a 8 hp kohler starter, and its as quite as a belt starter

skrusins

The pinion gear gets dry and dirty. I've taken the schrod off and cleaned the gear making sure

I twist it all way into the flywheel. After that i bought a dry spray lube(teflon) and work it in.

That has been working for me.

• Like 1

diamondred

The pinion comes all the way out to the nut. But does not go all the way into the flywheel. Will try to post pic tomorrow.

diamondred

One picture, thousand words.

Its all the way out. Does anyone know if there is shims between the starter and the bearing plate?

You can plainly see it is only using half of the flywheel.

post-12532-0-46588700-1414597260_thumb.j

Edited by diamondred

km3h

Take a closer look at the photo. Your flywheel won't allow it to go any further into the teeth. The flywheel teeth are not ground all the way. I think this is about the normal way these things operate. At the top edge of the flywheel the teeth are deeper than they are as you look further down the individual teeth. That is unless the photo is making things look out of proportion.

diamondred

The pinion is bottomed out against the end of the starter shaft. These are straight cut teeth. 

post-12532-0-82261200-1414609920.jpg

...other than the pinion has a bevel so it can merge into the flywheel at high speed...

Edited by diamondred

diamondred

The pinion gear gets dry and dirty. I've taken the schrod off and cleaned the gear making sure

I twist it all way into the flywheel. After that i bought a dry spray lube(teflon) and work it in.

That has been working for me.

I wish I could get it out far enough to go all the way into the flywheel. Thats the problem.

diamondred

more pictures, I hope these help.

post-12532-0-73675300-1414611495_thumb.j

post-12532-0-83985700-1414611524_thumb.j

post-12532-0-60734500-1414611565_thumb.j

post-12532-0-40581100-1414611626_thumb.j

oldredrider

It appears you have too many shims on the pinion shaft...blocking a full run of the gear.

JustinW.73

It appears you have too many shims on the pinion shaft...blocking a full run of the gear.

Ya I agree. I don't remember them having any washers at the end of the shaft. Try it with them off

diamondred

I didn't put any washers on it. It's stock. Look at the pictures closely. That is not a stack of washers.That is a cupped washer so the spring has some place to go when engaged.

Next guess?