B.Peters

k-181 stalling out

B.Peters

I have a 1974 B-80 with a k-181. I'm having problems with it stalling out after it runs awhile like a 1/2 hour or so. It will just quit like the switch is turned off. But it will run crappy if I choke it then if I take the choke off it will quit. If I let it sit 15 mins or so it will run for a little bit and do the same thing again. Is my fuel pump getting weak or is it electrical. I took the line of the pump and it is pumping just don't know if its pumping enough. Could it be points? Any help would be appreciated.

rmaynard

Take the cap off of the gas tank and see if it keeps running. If it does, you may have a blocked vent in the cap.

B.Peters

I tried that already. Thank you anyway. I just don't know how a fuel pump acts before it goes completely out.

slammer302

I would check the float on the carb I've have the same problem every once in a while tap on the bottom of the carb with the plastic handle of a screwdriver and it will start running good again

• Like 1

skrusins

I have a B80 with the same problem for a couple years. Finally I installed an electric fuel pump

with a off and on switch. Have'nt had any problem all year. I talk to some guys at a rental store

and said there installing them on all there equipment. Hope tis helps.

• Like 1

B.Peters

I wonder if this new ethanol gas has anything to do with this. That new gas is junk in my opinion.

• Like 1

JustinW.73

I wonder if this new ethanol gas has anything to do with this. That new gas is junk in my opinion.

Thats a big fat yes. People have made tests on the new type of gas with ethanol and it is terrible for small engines. Especially the carb and gaskets. 

WH nut

Replace the condensor