jeremyrschroeder

What is this called and how to do I remove it? Suburban 400

jeremyrschroeder

Trying to remove the gear at the end of the steering rod so I can replace the rod. Looks like there is some sort of pin there - it goes all the way through. Do you just knock it through with a hammer? This is on the end of the steering rod on Suburban 400. Also what are these called - incase I need to get another to put in back on? Thanks in advance!

post-13953-0-49638200-1414247787_thumb.j

post-13953-0-26596200-1414247813_thumb.j

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Why does your's look entirely too clean?   :eusa-think: 

It's called a roll pin Jeremy...

you'll need a roll pin driver/punch to push it through/out. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES

KC9KAS

Best to spray some penetration oil (WD-40, PB blaster) on it and let it sit for a day. Be sure to use a punch smaller diameter than the roll pin or you will mushroom the end and it will be VERY difficult to remove.

jeremyrschroeder

Thanks !! - I

Why does your's look entirely too clean?   :eusa-think: 

It's called a roll pin Jeremy...

you'll need a roll pin driver/punch to push it through/out. 

It only clean because I tool a wire wheel and bead blasted it already - it was pretty dirty prior to monkeying with it. Thanks for letting me know!

Best to spray some penetration oil (WD-40, PB blaster) on it and let it sit for a day. Be sure to use a punch smaller diameter than the roll pin or you will mushroom the end and it will be VERY difficult to remove.

Good advice - Thanks!!

AMC RULES

We need more picts of your project Jeremy.

:wwp:       :popcorn:

Racinbob

All good advice. If it had been greased properly it probably won't be hard to get out. i had a touch of play on mine so I replaced the roll pin with a new one and doubled up on it. Service Bulletin #62 addresses this with the steering sector (later model tractor) but it seemed like a good idea on this end as well. Turn the inner roll pin about 90 degrees from the outer pin.

like Craig said, more pictures please. :)

Edited by Racinbob

andy001

Good thread. ..and another question. What causes steering wheel rotational play? I'm getting about an inch or so of play before I get movement at the front tires. I suspect the lower pinion gear like the one pictured above. ..but I'm not sure. Is there a bearing at the end of the main steering rod with the rack that would cause this?

Racinbob

No, there's no bearing. A little play is normal. Wear on all the steering components obviously will increase it. The bolt holes at the tie rod ends, the drag link that connects the steering sector to the tie rod, etc. Nothing is really a precision fit. Most of the play in mine was in the drag link. The threaded hole in the sector was stripped and the link had been welded in place. The drag link ball joints were worn and sloppy. You might be able to peen the ball joints tighter but it likely won't last. I built a new drag link and repaired the sector and the steering is now tight.

post-8408-0-35950600-1414659456_thumb.jp

Racinbob

To elaborate a bit more Andy, just go through the steering components one by one. Play at the ends of the tie rod (connected to the spindles) is common. This can be corrected by drilling out and installing bushings. The same for the drag link where it connects to the tie rod. If you wanted to, a new tie rod could easily be made with bar stock. Check the fit of the pinion to the steering sector teeth. The sector bolt is threaded into the frame so make sure it's adjusted and locked in place with the nut. It's really a simple setup. I'm betting most of your play is at the drag link ball joints. The new link I made is simply two tie rod ends, a piece of 3/8"x24 rod and a piece of 1/2" od tube. The threaded hole in the sector was messed up from the weld. I was able to drill it out and rethread it. For added strength I drilled it for a roll pin that you can see in the pic.

Edited by Racinbob