fireman

So I guess they finally sucked me in!

fireman

Steve and Ken, (although mostly Steve) have been harassing me to get into the old motors and boats. I was putting up a good resistance until 2 weeks ago. Ken PM'd me and asked if I was interested in a 1957 Johnson 5.5hp outboard he was putting on Craigslist. He went through it and it's all ready for the water. At the price he sold it to me for I finally couldn't resist. I posted a few days ago about the mint 1956 7.5hp Evinrude Fleetwin I picked up for a steel. Well 2 days ago Steve texted me a link for a 1957 10hp Evinrude Sportwin. He said this one would be better then the other two because the 10 horse power would be enough for the size aluminum boat i'm in the market for. I checked out the link and low and behold it was located in the exact same town in New Jersey I was heading down to the next day. A member here bought my tall chute snow blower and I was heading down to deliver it to him. I emailed the seller and asked if I could stop by and see it. I heard back from him on my way down the next day and come to find out he only lives 1.5 miles from where I was dropping of the snow blower. Needless to say we struck a deal and it ended up in the back of my truck.

SO NOW I HAVE 3 VINTAGE OUTBOARD ENGINES!!!! 

The good thing is these take up almost no room at all. I don't think i'm going to keep all 3. I will probably sell the small Johnson and keep the other two. The 7.5 Evinrude is so clean and original I can't see selling it. 

So here they all are:

post-1626-0-05879800-1414189746_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-76257500-1414189810_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-29288800-1414189875_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Geno

Very nice Fireman.   :text-+1: 

shallowwatersailor

A nice diversion rekindles the spirit! Sort of like mine for half tractors as they take up less room also. I can remember going through CG Engineman A School and tearing into those Evinrudes and Johnsons. I'd make it a Family Room decoration seeing as my wife collects Yellow Ware and Pennsylvania Pottery.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Those are awesome fireman. I don't have any right now but I just love vintage outboards. How about some pics with the shrouds off.  :) 

stevebo

Jeff stopped over on his way home from picking up the 10 hp and we dunked it in some water and added fuel and within a few pulls that little baby fired off, ran smooth and pumped plenty of water. IMO Jeff has a very nice little collection started. It is a nice little hobby to get into for sure. Lots of good people in that hobby just like our tractor hobby. 

Ken B

I'd blame it all on Steve.... For a guy that just a few short weeks ago had no outboards you have put together a nice little collection..Now, if Steve wasn't all wishy washy with that 14 ft AlumaCraft Dave would have that and you'd have Dave's 12 Ft AlumaCraft... :ychain:  Just so you know but you probably already know, when you do get out on the water with Steve he has only one speed! Usually right behind me... :hide:

• Like 2

fireman

I'd blame it all on Steve.... For a guy that just a few short weeks ago had no outboards you have put together a nice little collection..Now, if Steve wasn't all wishy washy with that 14 ft AlumaCraft Dave would have that and you'd have Dave's 12 Ft AlumaCraft... :ychain:  Just so you know but you probably already know, when you do get out on the water with Steve he has only one speed! Usually right behind me... :hide:

Yeah I know about his speed! I have followed him down to the big show in PA. I now go on my own.  :ychain:

fireman

More pics as asked for:

post-1626-0-20494800-1414200100_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-83834300-1414200114_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-75942600-1414200153_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-05879900-1414200173_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-21316600-1414200194_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-68032000-1414200219_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Racinbob

Those are as clean as you can get. Thanks for posting them. :handgestures-thumbsup:

SALTYWRIGHT

VERY NICE JEFF. NOW GET A NICE BOAT.

fireman

I'm lookin Russ! Really want something more then just a regular "V" hull. A Feather Craft would be nice!

dw753

I've got a 2hp? Neptune and even Smaller water wizard or witch I can't really remember..... I should sell them but not sure if there is much for the old smaller outboards

wh500special

Those look really neat.

I can see that being a hobby I could get sucked into. We still have my grandpa's 1960-ish Ouachita 12' v-bottom and merc that we've used forever. And my uncle has a 1958 Johnson 7.5 that he bought new in 58 and used just once before storing it I his basement.

What would really be dangerous is to adopt wood boat building as another hobby. Just think of the disaster that would create.

Steve

HorseFixer

WoW nice looking engines Jeff :thumbs:  Im just saying, you guys get into more stuff than you can shake a stick at. Maybe there should be a old motor section for all kinds.  :ychain:  How about an amphibious Wheel Horse? Didn't they make those... :eusa-whistle:

Ken B

This is probably my cleanest one..

DSCN2259_zpsb815f2c7.jpg

DSCN2253_zps0545df0d.jpg

Edited by Ken B

Ken B

Jeff, this is my Crestliner with my Big Twin 25 that Steve was trying too catch all summer. He's close, just a few steps behind me..One adjustment on my part the wrong way and I'll be bringin up the rear!

IMG_1792_zpsbdc59d57.jpg

fireman

That motor is sweet!!!