stoneman

D 180 . . .Time To Tear It Down.

stoneman

It's been awhile. All I've been doing is working my tractors, and have never torn any of them down other than to repair something, but always right back together and back to work. I picked up this D a couple years ago, and it's the right one to take down. Has 3 point. Front and rear drive shaft. Turning brakes. (Still looking for a pulley for the drive shaft.) My problem is that this things been torn down before, and NOT put back together correctly. The drive linkage isn't quite right and the lever was sticking at times . . . and now it's apart because it stuck and I couldn't move it. The turning brakes may only need new pads and adjusting. I'm looking for a manual that would have assembly drawings. Is there one? I really want to do this tractor, and I have to do it right. I'm not the greatest mechanic, but I take my time and have a few brains to pick when it comes to most things, but I want to be able to work on this over the Winter and get it right. Not going to be a show tractor . . . It's gonna get used the way it was meant to. I have a Johnson loader I'd like to put on it, so I need to work that into the reassembly. Upon tearing the drive linkage down, and just stepping back taking a look at this machine . . . I decided that this one really deserves to get done right. And for me to do it . . .I'm going to need some help. Assembly diagrams are going to be key for me. Otherwise . . . it'l never get done. Thank you. 

Edited by stoneman

pfrederi

Turning brakes

Does the tractor have good power??  Is the Tranny temp good when working hard??

• Like 1

stoneman

That's all good. Brand new rebuilt pump. M18 transplant runs strong. And I haven't really had the chance to work the tractor. I've pulled the hills around my yard after reaching operating temp with not variations. No noises. 

"D"- Man

Definitely, sounds like you have an excellent candidate for a redo, with it being dressed out quite nicely with the three point, P.T.O. and turning brakes. There are more than a couple of threads on here of the "D" series resto's.  The turning brake pads can be reworked, or you may be able to find a good used set {keep in mind that the pads from some of the Cub Cadet turning brakes are the same.}  I have an 18 Automatic that I purchased without turning brakes, a three point hitch or a P.T.O. and found a fellow that had a D-200 with the complete 3 point set up, he only wanted $75.00 for it, or $100.00 if he helped take it off.  I accepted his help and he threw in 80% of the turning brake components and all of the P.T.O. except the pulley.  I found out that trying to purchase just the pulley from a complete P.T.O. was next to impossible, however I did eventually find a seller that had the entire set-up for sale and he graciously agreed to part with just the pulley.   Keep us posted, and remember to include some pics along the way, Mark.

• Like 1

JackC

Good luck. Keep us posted with pictures. Thanks

Geno

It will be cool to see a D redone, sounds like you've got a really nice one.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

stoneman

I'll see what I can find in the threads. It's going to be scary for me to tear this thing down without diagrams, so I guess I better take a lot of pictures. I'll wire what I can together in order and keep things together as best I can in different boxes with notes as I go. I think when it's time to get it back together I'll be able to find the help I'll need for the problems that WILL most likely come up. Linkage and wiring are going to be the most difficult with my limited skill set. If anyone come up with a linkage diagram and/or a wiring diagram . . . Please post it here. Thanks. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1