motor12

double oil seals

motor12

Worked on my 854 today, replaced oil seals. What I found when removing the old worn out seals was someone jammed a second seal over one already in place. no wonder they were leaking. By the amount of oil and grime on the trans housing it looks like they were in there for years.

• Like 1

ericj

the newer tractors have double seals. i just finished going over my 520-8 trans and it had 2 axle seals

eric j

• Like 1

motor12

That's something I was not aware of, when did they start doubling up on seals.

• Like 1

ericj

not sure when they started but i was told that's what you can do ti help make sure you don't have leaks lol 

eric j

• Like 1

Wade

Are they using a double lip seal or two of the original axle seals ? I happen to be pulling my 520H apart . After being patient with the Hub removal process I will be getting to the seals tonight. I did find a piece of fishing line behind the washer located between the Hub and seal's. The line must have tore up the seal. It leaks pretty bad.

Have a good day

Wade

Kelly

Never seen a double set factory, it is common on the stick shifts to double them, but be sure to pack grease between them or the outer seal will run dry and scar the axle

• Like 1

pacer

Yes, doubling seals is pretty common - but, I get the impression there may be 2 lines of thought on doing this. One thinks its a good idea and another is that its not necessary, and can actually cause problems (like Kelly mentioned) - I lean to the latter and only use 1 seal. Obviously will come down to what YOU wanna do...

• Like 1

rmaynard

The previous owner of the Commando 8 that I bought several years ago had a leaky seal problem. As a fix he tapped the bearings in toward the center of the transmission and inserted two seals. What happened then was the outer seal actually carved a 3/16" wide by 1/32" deep groove in the axle. Could have been from lack of lube on the outer seal as Kelly mentioned. He ended up having both axles spray welded and machined back to 1", installed new roller bearings in the proper place, and inserted new single seals. Never leaked again.

I'm not a fan of doubling up seals, and I have never seen a double seal in any Wheel Horse parts manual.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Wade

Great info guy's. I never gave the ,running dry on the outer seal a thought. I would prefer to replace a seal ,than repair or replace an axle.

Thank You for the input

Wade