RealHorse_ct

1 day to decide please help!!!!

RealHorse_ct

hi guys, first time ever on a forum although i read on a lot of them, I have a fish on the line for a 314-8 in mint mint mint shape not even a scuff with 42 side discharge and plower flow bagger set up for like mulching the leaves up further before entering the bags...brand new carb as of today all gauges work flawless, all lights and even the idiot lights on the dash too. It has 354 hours but i would have put money on it being only 5 lol and its definitely not a resto I've done my fair share of restoring everything from wood to metal...bottom line the guy wont budge a buck off 2000, i honestly need you guys help i need to make a decision before i go to bed tonight by 930, I drive trucks so i have to wake up early being the early bed time, anything will help please....thank you in advance, Mike :roll:  :eusa-think:

groundhog47

Just let me say this, :text-welcomewave:  to :rs:  and wait for better advice than I could give. Without that follow your best instinct. 

And if you pop for it, make certain that's what you want. Apologies for such paltry advice, but whatever we will still welcome you here :handgestures-thumbup:  

RealHorse_ct

Thank you GroundHog47, Im just wondering if he wont move because I'm young, 23, and he thinks ill just pounce on it or what the deal is but it sure puts the pressure on. Im thinking real hard because i just bought a house 1 and half years ago and i kinda could use the money in other places but then again i dont wanna pass up on this one...on a better note, thanks for the welcome i appreciate it

• Like 1

oldtin 921

I'm sure you could find a bigger machine for a lot less money. In my area on CL you can buy a 520 with some accessorys for $1200.00 or BO.

KC9KAS

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Sounds a little steep to me, but I might be to tight to spend that kind of money.

RealHorse_ct

Ive come across that thought as well but here in CT ppl are 1) collectors or 2) people who run their equipment into the ground then blame the equipment of being trash and i sure dont want those peoples tractors...im really caught on a thin line and dont know what way to jump, what would you guys do for example?

Ken B

I have a wicked nice 417 I'll sell for much less than that...  This is the one I'm considering selling.. I have two and don't need two 417's..

DSCN2293_zps3d3a7973.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 7

RealHorse_ct

thats a mean looking tractor for sure there ken, how much are ya asking and any quirks with it or things that might be on there way out, any and all info you have on it like hours, i dont know how to pm and what not i just post and type, lol for 23 i dont use electronics or really watch tv

Ken B

I'll send you a pm

Forest Road

Welcom to RS!!! That's asking a lot!!! What year is it? kohler Magnum or Command OHV? At that price it'd have to be dam near new. Was there any wear on power flow setup? They often get abused from bouncing off stuff while mowing.

If you need a bagger you may want to snag it. If not I'd definitely hold out for a better deal. Keep in mind these machines easily go 20+ years with simple maintenance.

Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Ken B he always seems to be showing and selling very nice equipment. Best of luck to ya.

RealHorse_ct

@ forest road its a 93 its got the newer style kohler design more boxy, you'll have to forgive me ive never worked on the wheel horses before except with my grandfather i just recently started getting into them and cant get over the sheer look and feel of them, i do still love my bolens huskys though and me case446 but if i had to use one all day WH would be the one im reaching for. i want the bagger for leaves, i take care of my property, my mothers, and my grandparents so it would be put to use but no its not all beat a few scratches on the power flow  cover is all nothing to write home about

Forest Road

$2000 for a 93 is insane!!! It'll be for sale for quite some time.

If you need to bag look into a pull behind sweeper. Or search for a used bagger.

km3h

You sound like a youngster who walked into a new car showroom and just spotted a 1969 Mustang Fastback with 2000 miles on it and a 460 V8 full house engine. Don't be enamored with the glitter of that machine. The worth of something is always an individual thing. He will never sell it at that price.

I don't see how a machine with over 345 hours on it can be flawless. Hour meters are cheap and used ones are available. I have at least four of them in my shop. A good car detailer can work wonders on anything with paint on it using a top grade polish and rubbing compound. All you have to do is a little research on this forum to find the how some of our members have worked wonders  on an old machine.

That 417-8 of Kens is one beautiful machine and I don't care how nice the other one is, if Ken owned it it is for all intents and purposes 100 percent better for everything you could possibly ask it to do that the other one. Worth more money to.

As for the bagging of leaves, There are baggers available. In short, Don't buy it!

Edited by km3h
  • Like 3

pacer

Even down here in the south where horses are scarce as hens teeth and some pretty stiff prices quoted, that seems to be too far out there... And, youre in the part of the country where I would think much better deals would come up - that 417 Ken shows for example. Theres almost always nice tractors in the for sale section here on the forum.

• Like 2

RealHorse_ct

thank you km3h for the blunt honesty i needed to hear that, thats something my grandfather would have said too about the car showroom and things overpriced today lol...im working with ken now on his and see whats up, like i said i kinda know this guy pat selling it here in town but cant read him all that well, he might be trying to screw with me but when i see something in great shape and its a simple design sort of thing its like its gotta be mine for whatever reason, all of my equipment is kept up insanely well always waxed, greased, covered and gawked at when im not doing anything in the garage lmao.....and yes pacer you would think there would be more potential up here, maybe i should open my eyes to that idea as well

• Like 1

km3h

Another thought. You opened this thread with the statement you had a fish on the line. That's a misstatement. That fish is the bait and your are the fish getting ready to strike. Don't know why you only have one day to decide, but this guy sounds like a used car salesman on a slow lot, trying to push you hard to get the sale. 

By the way, don't be afraid of a machine that has been restored by the guys up here. Most do a frame off restoration and when finished they are as good or better than new.

Ken, that is a beautiful machine. I only hope I can make my 417-H look half as good. You sir are an artist.

• Like 1

RealHorse_ct

@km3h, ive never been the best with expressions but whats up here is another guy that visits his store often is out of town right now and wont be back til tomorrow night flying in and he said if it was still there when he gets home he wants it for his collection, but then again money is no object for that guy since he was handed a family business a few years back and been blowing money ever since on all sorts of toys...at the end of the day it comes down to me not being able to misuse and technically beat the hell out of my mtd agway tractor pulling a big tex 5x8 of firewood 2 miles down a rough dirt road back home on top of fall clean up and mowing and winching woodstoves up in my tree limb to sell them to people after i restore them into people pick up trucks. its just not made for all that and im trying to stretch out my money as far as it can go but i figure if i bought out of season basically i could get a good deal on a tractor that is meant for hard work and that my maintenance will only help it by keeping a good mechine running great for as long as I'm in possesion of it....its not just i want it for no reason, i want it to save my back so i can enjoy life a little still when im 75 god willing

Jrblanke

Hey Mike,

I think if you are new to wheel horses, and someone is trying to push you into a sale (which he is trying to push you into a sale) then it is time to walk away. It might be a nice mower, but another one that nice WILL come along. It might be a while, but it will come along. That is way too much, and frankly, it aggravates me when a salesmen is pushy like that. One thing I learned this past year is never buy something or trade for something based on the other persons word (unless you know them well). 

I'm 27, and I know it sucks sometimes getting advice from everyone who is.....more experienced....than you, but in the long run, they are just looking out for you and don't want you to do something you will regret. I think there is some wise advice on this thread. Move on, and wait for a machine that is less money. It sucks walking away, but when you get that next machine, you will be happy that you will have all that extra cash in your pocket. 

Let us know what you decide!

• Like 1

JackC

I would take Ken's 417 over the 314 any day.  It also has a chrome air cleaner sitting on top of that smooth running twin cylinder KT17 Series II engine.  I also much prefer the hydros over the 8 speeds but some prefer just the opposite.

If I was going to spend $2,000 I would buy a low hour 520H or a 520Xi or 520Lxi, the Cadillacs of the Wheel Horse models, before I would buy the 314.

Everybody's taste is different so whatever floats your boat.

Foozerush

Mint mint mint shape.... Why the new carb? 2k is too high in my book. Keep shopping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

546cowboy

Really? $2000? I wouldn't even consider it for that price. You see stuff like that all the time and never see it sold. Some people just put stuff up like that looking for a SUCKER. Buy that 417 up above but make sure it has a K-17 II engine in it.

• Like 1

km3h

Consider the 314 is a 14HP single cylinder engine. Granted those engines are real work horses, but it still what it is. The 417 is one of the best engines Kohler ever built in my estimation. Twin Cylinder and tough as nails. You said you need something that will be working hard. The Transmission in the 417-A is another very tough piece and will do all you ask of it.

I've been around 78 years and seen a lot of deals. I have learned when to walk away. That's my Grandfatherly advise to you. Good luck on whatever you decide.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I know I am late to the party, but all the advice you are getting is sound.

These guys are good and can get you on a real nice WH for less than 2K. (Especially in CT!)

You could end up with a slightly older model (that may not be as pretty) with a whole host of attachments for 2k, or you could upgrade to the latest and greatest XI version with a mower deck for probably about the same.

Firpo701

I'd steer clear of that one...

fireman

$2000 is way up there. He's casting out the line to see if a fish will bite. Ken's machine is very nice and you'll get for far less then that!