shallowwatersailor

Price of Surveying Land

shallowwatersailor

I live in a "nanny" county that has very strict regulations. :teasing-signhere:  Since moving here 5 years ago, I have wanted to build a shed. I am finally in a position to do that but the county requires a "boundary survey" for less than 200 sq. ft. All that we received at closing/settlement was a "location drawing" (Yep, my house is located in Maryland!!!) which is not sufficient to build from.

I priced getting the boundary survey from two surveyors. The furthest wanted $2K but suggested getting someone closer. The nearest wants $1,900.00 to do it.  Now I do have two acres in a rectangle but given today with GPS location I find it hard to believe that it would be so expensive. My "little" shed would now be over $3K! So much for that idea. :crying-yellow:  I'm not sure if a "greenhouse" would be exempt but I would be concerned about it being sturdy enough.

Option B: There is already a small playhouse/shed on the property that only has a small door. I found that out when I tried to put my wheelbarrow in it! My wife uses it for storing pots over the winter. I guess that I will just cut a larger door into an end and use it for smaller attachments, etc.

Geno

What if you "add on" to the little shed?  :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Does the survey requirement apply to a shed that is built off site John.  May be another way to go.

shallowwatersailor

The way the regs are written, they cover everything. Over 200 sq. ft. you might as well build a house. I ran into something similar in Chicago. There was a huge tragedy where a three-story  backporch fell down and had fatalities. I built a deck a few years later that was only four feet off the ground but needed 18" diameter and 42" deep footings, and 10"x10" columns due to the revised regulations. Definitely overkill.

The other problem is accessibility for a tractor. It is within the back corner of a fenced portion where we have a garden. One direction to it is "stepped," and the other has too small a gate. And if I was to just replace it, I would need a "demolition permit." The county uses aerial surveillance for taxing purposes so I would eventually be called to terms. The plan is to stay here another three years and retire so it just becomes too $. I'm sure the next owner won't have a herd.

I could use it for "half tractors" though. :eusa-think:  :)

post-3066-0-72226600-1413992149_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Geno

Gotta love the guberment.  :teasing-poke:

buckrancher

buy two 10 x10 sheds and bolt them together on the playhouse

Edited by buckrancher

Geno

What about portable? 

shallowwatersailor

buy two 10 x10 sheds and bolt them together on the playhouse

They have that covered.

What about portable? 

They have that covered as well. They require: "Wind load – minimum 15 lb/ft 2 lateral load as required by the IRC or using other hardware installed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications." I have to admit, being from the "Windy City," that we get quite a bit of wind here. We are supposed to have gusts up to 40 mph tomorrow. It reminds me of walking in the "canyons" of downtown Chicago. Whatever direction you walked, there was always wind blowing in your face.

CasualObserver

That's some pretty sucky building restrictions. Those even cover "portable" sheds?  I mean, my 10x12 saltbox garden shed is considered portable. Personally in your situation I'd build a bigger "playhouse." Decorate it like a play house, fake windows, shutters and the whole deal. Heck even attach a a-frame and cross bar and hang a swing from it.  Then just make one whole end of it a door that swings open.

Or look into something like this....? http://diy-plans.com/sheds/outdoor-projects/Swing-set-and-4X8-Storage-Shed-Plan Technically it's a "swingset" and I've never heard of anyplace having ordinances about how big of "swingset" you could build. :D

Aldon

Build/dig a bunker (cold Cellar) with entry through the play house, albeit with expanded door size.

If money and effort were limitless, then a hydraulic elevator could drop your tactor into the bunker:-)

Edited by Aldon

CasualObserver

You could always just try asking the county for a variance or exemption from that requirement. If you attend the county board meeting you can argue it's not economically feasible to have a $2000 survey to build a $1000 shed.

shallowwatersailor

They have portable sheds covered too. I had thought of "moving" the current structure and somehow it would grow "larger" when placed, but moving is regulated as well. Some smart thinkers are working for the county is all I can say.

Increasing the size doesn't help due to the ride-ons not being able to easily negotiate access. Besides the gate there are timbers, bushes, etc. Now half tractors are a different story. :ychain:

jackhammer

Do you have a side or separate  lot with a different DOL number and put one up on it??

64s

This is exactly why people don't pull permits!!!  Go to city hall and see if there is a plot plan on file and if there are any markers around your property.  With this and a level headed building inspector, you should be able to walk your land and decide where to build.

Kennedy

Wow. those prices are high. I have 23 acres in south east Ohio. I had one side and the rear line surveyed and I paid $800. Another company quoted me $125/hour.  It is in an unincorporated township not a city though. I am sure you have, but I would call as many places as I could find.

Mark

KyBlue

Well ... I gotta say I love the county I'm in ...  they really just don't care..haha  I called when I finished out the inside and they only wanted to know if I was going to live in it. Said since I wasn't...they didn't care -

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Wow. those prices are high. I have 23 acres in south east Ohio. I had one side and the rear line surveyed and I paid $800. Another company quoted me $125/hour.  It is in an unincorporated township not a city though. I am sure you have, but I would call as many places as I could find.

Mark

That is one reason we are moving to the Buckeye state when we retire. My wife's family is there and mine in Chicago will only be six hours away. I'm going to just put my effort into the playhouse/shed at this point.

Do you have a side or separate  lot with a different DOL number and put one up on it??

We border a county park so the lots are 2+ acres and cannot be sub-divided. It is really an unknown gem of an area as we are ten minutes (3 1/2 miles) to the Metro rail for DC, but then there is a cattle farm 1/2 mile away.

bmsgaffer

Grow a lawn or 'garden' on the roof of whatever you build that overhangs each side by 1-2'... you should be covered for any aerial 'surveillance'. (which from what I hear in most places is a bunch of minimum wage teenagers comparing two different year Google images... which in that case, you might get your three years just from the technology delay alone) :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

jackhammer

shallowwatersailor

closer you get allows you to become a Illini and Bear fan ..

but

watch out for those trying to lure you to teams from Wisconsin

• Like 1

rmaynard

Cost me $800 for a location survey 6 years ago here in Carroll County. I only did it to find our exactly where my side line was. After that, I just started building, hoping that the building inspector never wandered into the neighborhood. Maryland is one of the most restrictive jurisdictions in the country. A tax or a fee for everything, including the rain. Let's hope we get a conservative governor in next week's election.

GlenPettit

Consider an "enclosed Cargo Trailer".  Usually, if it is on wheels and licensed, it's a go most places.  They come in all sizes, are reasonably low and can be moved/driven around the block once-a-year.  Used 'rough' ones sell fairly low, especially if they have been damaged or in an accident (just may not go 30-40 mph safely).

Good Luck, but those laws were usually made with good & safe intentions.  Talk with some friendly builders or lumber sales managers, they may suggest alternative ways.   Maryland & the colonies are tougher than here.  Good Luck,   (Michigan)

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

Geno

Now that's a good idea.  :text-+1:

Forest Road

How big a shed were you considering?

I live on 100'x66' in NJ. I had to jump through hoops to put up a shed and front entry years ago. Fast forward 2013 and repeat for a new garage in place of the shed. $800 per survey. I needed 3 by the time we were done. BS!

Here I can put up as many 8x10 sheds as I like if they're 10' from the property line. No permit required.

If all else fails buy a car trailer.

I probably would've built a shed and begged for forgiveness if I were caught.

AMC RULES

:eusa-doh:  Any wonder why I have 'em in the basement over here?    :) 

ericj

my township was on me for tractors and stuff sitting around and i was just plain running out of room. so i got a lucky break and came across a real good deal on a enclosed trailer that some might have seen at some of the shows this past summer . i can get 8 tractors and 2 wagon in that little trailer lol. township says i can have it on property as long as it's the only trailer on the property. something to think about. i wouldn't recommend going as big as mine unless you have access to a tow vehicle to handle it though 

eric j