jessejohn

Tractor will only run with the choke slightly on.

jessejohn

Hey all,

I have a Work Horse LT-1100 that will only run with the choke slightly on. Any suggestions?

Desko

Dirty carburetor

• Like 1

Eck

Your gas shut off valve may be partially clogged, or your carburetor may have trash in it, so lets shoot for the easy task first, in hopes it is the fuel shut off valve partially clogged...

I just removed mine today for same issue. 

Here is what you will need to do.

Have a can or jar ready to catch the fuel from your gas tank.

Remove the gas line that runs from the tank to the shut off valve. Only remove the end that goes to the shut off valve. Not the end that goes to the tank.

Next remove the outlet line from the shut off valve. This line runs to an inline fuel filter or may run directly to your carb.

Next remove the gas the valve itself by using a 7/16" wrench for the small cap-nut right behind the small knob your turn to shut the fuel on or off.

Now turn the small knob to the LEFT to remove the valve pin from the valve housing. Note: The Valve pin also has a small rubber washer on it so be careful not to tear it or loose it.

Remove the outlet gas line from the gas line on/off housing. This is the hose that runs to the inline fuel filter or directly to your carb.

Now remove the valve from the side panel using a 1/2" wrench.

I used a small finishing nail to push put the trash thru the valve and to break the trash loose. Doesnt matter which end you push the trash out of the valve from, just break it loose and then I used carb cleaner spraying in each opening flushing it out clean.

Now Reassemble the valve and re-install it. Make sure the valve is in the OFF position!!!!!

Connect the two fuel lines. Next I removed and replaced the inline fuel filter. It is a simple task, and for a couple bucks I now know it can not be a cause as to why my choke had to be partially on..   

Now remove the fuel "inlet line' that connects to the Carburetor. This is the fuel line that runs from fuel pump to the carb. NOTE: Just disconnect this line from the carb, not the from fuel pump.  

Pour some fresh fuel in gas tank . No need to fill it up yet, but around half way full

Open the gas shut off valve.

Now remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug, and wrap the removed end in a wet rag so as to cover any spark coming from this plug wire. I know this sounds dangerous, but trust me...the wet rag will short it out immediately which is what you want. 

Ok, again, have a plastic tub or glass jar ready.

Place the inlet line that goes to the carburetor (the one you just removed note above) in the jar/ container. This hose should be in front of your engine and not even close to the spark plug wire which is wrapped up in a wet rag..

OK, turn the key and crank engine. Your engine will not start. You do not want your mower to start on this test, which is the next step (below), you will only want to crank the engine over to see if the fuel pump will suck fuel from the gas tank, thru the fuel pump and out the hose into the container / jar. As soon as you see gas coming out the end of the hose, stop cranking the engine!!!!!

NOTE: The engine will have to crank for a minute to pump the gas from the tank thru the cleaned shut off valve thru the new inline filter and thru the fuel pump...then you should see fuel "spit" into the jar as you are cranking it. Now you know for sure your fuel pump works... Re-connect the inlet line to the carb, and reconnect your spark plug wire to the spark plug

OK, start engine as you normally would let it run to normal operating temp, and then see if you need to leave the choke on now. You should not have to leave the choke on at all.

However, if you still need to have the choke on then the only thing left is your carburetor. You will need to remove, disassemble and clean it out.

If you need help here send me an email, or you can call me (10am - 7pm Huntsville, Alabama time please), and I will walk you through it.

Hope this helps..

jessejohn

Thanks for the advice

N3PUY

Try opening the HIGH SPEED needle a little.

That's the big adjusting screw on the bottom of the carb.

Turn it out 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn.

If that helps a carb cleaning will be needed in the future.

shallowwatersailor

You could have worn throttle bushings. If it wobbles, even a slight amount, it wil lean out the engine due to more air being sucked in.

jessejohn

I think it's my head gasket. Seems a little wet by the two lower bolts