jfuhr83

How hard is it to find this stuff

jfuhr83

So I have an 86 310-8, and I know I eventually want a tiller and a snow blower for it. This would be within my "seems reasonable" price range I guess, but its a 10hr round trip in a truck that gets about 15mpg so my question is, how hard is it to find this stuff, can I let it go and find one closer or if thats what I want should I jump on it.

5fada783a16fdfa36ed0a948746e3219.jpg

Thanks

John

Lane Ranger

For a 310-8  you don't need a vertical snowblower  or vertical tiller.  You need horizontal attachments.

Do some checking  on Craigslist or post a wanted ad on Red Square .  There are lots of  tillers and snowblowers in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio that won't require a ten hour trip at 15 MPG's!  

• Like 1

KyBlue

Yep there are members that are closer that have blowers and tillers much closer I'm sure ...

oldredrider

That blower will not fit your 310 without modification. I'm sure somewhere near you are the implements you want that will hook right up. Check the classified adds here or post your own in the wanted section.

jfuhr83

Thanks, I was going to check model number in the manuals I downloaded when I got off work, but I figured the question of availability was still valid, not that concerned about a tiller yet but I would love to get my hands on a blower and maybe chains before winter.... i'd do everybody's driveway for a beer and a gallon of gas. ... lol

dcrage

John

I do NOT own a snow blower -- I do know from reading this board for several years that a 2-stage blower will tax your 310-8 (consensus seems to be that it and the 60" deck take the most umph to run) -- You are ideally looking for a single stage blower for your 310 -- You also want to get the "flag" (the long metal rod that pivots your blower up and down via you implement lift) -- You are looking for implements that were previously used on horizontal shaft B, C (except for a C-195), 300, 400, or 500 series tractors (with the above cavet about the 2-stage blower)

Edited by dcrage

jfuhr83

Thanks man. Yea, I wasn't looking for 2 stage also due to cost and its overkill for my uses but that gives me a better idea what models to look for....

What is the diff between 3-4-500 series? I understand 310 vs 312

boovuc

Hi John,

It isn't difficult at all to pick them up much closer to your home. You do need patience though. (Like I have some to spare).  :)

The tillers can be anywhere from beat to a pulp to hardly used. Same with the blowers. The newer single-stage high-chute blowers are better and a little harder to get in good condition. The older short-chutes are OK but tend to cover you in more snow and won't throw it quite as far. (Opinion here and not a gospel fact). I like the short chutes for wet snow!

Scan Craigslist and your local "bargain sheets" along with the classified adds in your newspapers. And wherever you drive, look in people's yards. An abandoned WH and attachments are always available from the "Guys who will get around to fixin' that thing" school of thought.

Being in Indiana, your closer to Ground Zero of Wheelhorse collecting than we are in Pennsylvania and I see blowers and tillers come up all the time. Unless Geno the Bandito drove through!  :happy-jumpeveryone:  Just kidding Geno though I wish we had a GPS tracker on you so we know when you enter our states!

• Like 1

dcrage

What is the diff between 3-4-500 series? I understand 310 vs 312

In general the bigger the model # the larger, more powerful, more heavy duty the tractor -- Having said that the implements were totally interchangeable with the exceptions I talked about above (some would say that front end loaders also shouldn't be run on 300 series tractors, but some people do)

jfuhr83

Wait.... you can get a front loader... ****, now I want one of those too...

So basically the diff between a my 310-8 and a 510-8 is kinda like the diff between an f150 and a f350?

Same body and engine just beefier susp and what not

Geno

Just kidding Geno though I wish we had a GPS tracker on you so we know when you enter our states!

No trackers!  :laughing-rolling:

bmsgaffer

Wait.... you can get a front loader... ****, now I want one of those too...

So basically the diff between a my 310-8 and a 510-8 is kinda like the diff between an f150 and a f350?

Same body and engine just beefier susp and what not

Its mostly marketing hype. There are no clearly defined differences between the models and some of them changed over the years.

the 500 series was only available with twin cylinder onan engines from 16 - 20hp and generally have more gauges and doodads. (although the 516H and 518H had a lower spec Hydro rear end (Eaton 700) with a manual lift that people tend to shy away from)

400 series runs from 12-18 hp and the 8 speeds usually had the 1.125" axles with 8 pinion diffs (though that isnt even always true) All of the hydro versions had the Eaton 1100 that I am aware of.

the 300 series runs from 8hp-12hp and generally had the smaller 1" axles and 4 pinion diff (again, not always true). They were more the barebones tractors. Some had the Eaton 700 some had the 1100 (usually differentiated by an A for the 700 and an H for the 1100).

Almost all models 12hp+ were available in hydro or manual.

Confused yet?  :scratchead:

:help:

ALL of these models have the same frame and bodywork (except the hoods. some had louvers, some did not, and the 520 was slightly different cutout for a "warning light pod"

I think i got most of that right. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

Geno

I'm confused Brandon.   :teasing-poke:  

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Very good summary.

Which ones have a hydro lift?  

What is the difference between a hydro and an automatic?

shallowwatersailor

The term is used loosely. Even though my three 5xi have a two-range transaxle. I have to stop to change ranges. That would be a "hydro." An automatic would change gears like an automobile while moving.

Most, again not always, WH that have an Eaton 1100 will have a hydraulic lift. The Eaton 700 did not support a hydraulic lift. WH also used an electric actuator on some tractors but I am not sure if those were only manual transmission upscale models.

vinnyfish1

I just bought a single stage for my C145 here in INDY and have not used it yet, but based on years of using a Kubota 2 stage diesel shaft driven rig.....I chose the single stage since some of the snow last winter even made the Kubota grunt...I love my Wheel Horse and would never ask her to do  more than she was made to do...... However there are a heck of lot of guys on this  forum that know way more than me

Davenport520

I've been looking for a 48 inch snow blower for my 520H. Pretty hard to find here around Davenport. Been searching C.L. and others within a 100 mile radius to no avail.

vinnyfish1

Keep looking on CL ...I had been looking for a couple months and found one ..I paid $300 but it looks brand new and was manufactured in 1984 ...same as my C145 ,but I think any attach-o-matic year would work for you...keep in mind  Toro took near 15 years before they F.U.B.A.R.'d  Wheel Horse so there has to be one out there for you

gwest_ca

I've been looking for a 48 inch snow blower for my 520H. Pretty hard to find here around Davenport. Been searching C.L. and others within a 100 mile radius to no avail.

Pretty hard to find anywhere because Wheel Horse or Toro never had a 48" snowthrower for the 300, 400 or 500-Series tractors.

42" single stage (1973-2007) or 44" 2-stage only (1990-2007)

They did have a 48" for the D-Series but it was adapted from another manufacturer.

Garry

• Like 1

vinnyfish1

Sorry I did not notice the width he was talking about.. I did post earlier on 2 stage VS 1 stage.... Mine is a Snowthrower 42in 1984-87 06-42ST04 OM _810264R1..I think that width is way overstated which is ok because in my case I love my old HORSE and would hate to over work her and have to put her down.

gwest_ca

The basic housing should be 37" wide. Add the 2 extension wings and that brings it very close to 42" if they are not installed backwards or bent.

Garry

vinnyfish1

yep that what I get