stratostar250

Solid Lift Linkages

stratostar250

So, this may just be something that I was not aware of, but looking over the :wh: 1277, I noticed that it has a solid lift linkage! :greetings-clappingyellow:  With this, I can apply down pressure, onto the ground, with the plow, which is a real plus!  Is this a stock feature of the older tractors? or is the normal chain linkage normal?  :eusa-think:   Just curious, because I had just noticed, and all of my other tractors have the chain linkage, yet they are much newer.  

post-12245-0-19617800-1413913624_thumb.j

I also noticed that she had been repainted thru her life, and it seems as if the original paint is quite shiny red and good looking!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

You can see the original paint peeking through in these pictures!  :)

post-12245-0-23701600-1413913831_thumb.j

post-12245-0-43237100-1413913847_thumb.j

CasualObserver

They were solid lift links because originally it was called a dozer blade, not just a blade or snow blade.  It had down pressure for that reason. They all used the solid lift link until the T-bar lift came along in the mid 70s. Even the T-bar was connected by a steel rod lift link that had a threaded end and a trunion to connect to the rockshaft.  With the trunion, you had the option of locking the blade or allowing it to float. 

I'm not sure chain was ever the official link, or if it was just what everyone used when they either lost or broke the original lift bar. Many of the lift bars I've seen are wearing through and cutting the pins off after 30/40/50 years of use. If down pressure was no concern, it was much easier to just hook a chain to lift the blade than grind the pins out of the bar and re-weld new ones.  I suppose a chain link could have been used by the factory at some point though... you'd just have to go through every manual until you found one.

stratostar250

They were solid lift links because originally it was called a dozer blade, not just a blade or snow blade. It had down pressure for that reason. They all used the solid lift link until the T-bar lift came along in the mid 70s. Even the T-bar was connected by a steel rod lift link that had a threaded end and a trunion to connect to the rockshaft. With the trunion, you had the option of locking the blade or allowing it to float.

I'm not sure chain was ever the official link, or if it was just what everyone used when they either lost or broke the original lift bar. Many of the lift bars I've seen are wearing through and cutting the pins off after 30/40/50 years of use. If down pressure was no concern, it was much easier to just hook a chain to lift the blade than grind the pins out of the bar and re-weld new ones.  I suppose a chain link could have been used by the factory at some point though... you'd just have to go through every manual until you found one.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea! I thought most had the chains, I guess I was wrong. Can't assume everything!

Don1977

My 1977 had a 1/2" bar that slid through a trunnion. They would get bent and hang up. Wheel Horse changed  to the chain and eye hook I believe in 1978 for the mower lift. I'm not sure if the solid lift bar came with the blade or was an option.

• Like 1

Hodge71

My Dads original 1973 12 Automaticcame with a trunnion for the mower and a solid lift bar for the snow/dozer blade. My 1973 18 automatic has a hydraulic lift and came with a trunnion for the mower and a spring loaded bar for the 60" blade. You could also keep the cylinder floating or pin it for down pressure

• Like 1