rustyoldjunk

Got the "Work Horse in disguise" home

rustyoldjunk

It is in rougher condition then I thought ( I should know better by now :eusa-think: ). It needs a drive belt,a fuel pump,and some wiring work. It has been almost completely re bodied. The paint job is actually one of the better repaints that I have seen but I am not crazy about black. He hadn't put it on yet but he gave me the top piece for the dash to make the re body complete and to make the hood fit right. I am not sure what I will do with this one yet. When I checked the oil it was pure black gas. I drained out at least a quart and a half. It also is missing some engine tin. He said he thinks it is the original engine but the main engine tin and screen do not look right for what was used on the Work Horse tractors. Here's a few pictures. What would you do with it ?

post-146-0-24576300-1413871597_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-44806200-1413871621_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-80628500-1413871645_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-86759100-1413871668_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-03273000-1413871707_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-67184900-1413871733_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-28739200-1413871920_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-78573800-1413871958_thumb.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk

Martin

clean it up, get it running right and make it look they way you want. fuel pump is just some gaskets (pump is on the side of the carb), the tins on the engine look right, the screen on the flywheel needs to come off and maybe that round part as well, its been a while since i had my screen off,  but its really just missing the screen that covers that whole flywheel side of the engine. 

my 1848 had pump problems when i got it, easy fix, the gaskets and diaphragm are easy to replace on the side of the carb, run some decent oil in the engine and change it out a few times and see what you've got.....

heres the thread on when i got mine......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Looks tough. I like it, use the tins you've got...

and make it earn it's keep.     :handgestures-thumbsup:    :popcorn:

• Like 3

Geno

I agree, put her to work.  I would get her cleaned up good too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Aldon

I really like the black.

But it's eye of the beholder thing.

Make it your own...and let her run! Horses like to work!

• Like 2

rustyoldjunk

I did grab a fuel pump out of my carb stash and put on it but of course it needs a rebuild too. Putting a little gas into the carb it starts right up and the engine sounds good so it sounds promising.

Pullstart

looks like the 18 horse engine on my wood splitter!  heavy cast base, square air cleaner on top...

Jparkes43

she's gorgeous it love it

James

Ken B

Get her running and see what you got. If she runs good and the hydro works nice a super cleaning is in order. Personally, I'm not into the black. If after the cleaning the black paint on the frame, suspension parts and rear diff is good enough to leave then I would. I'd repaint the rest of the tins red and put some new decals on it...

Geno

Since it's already all black wonder what it would look like if you switched colors.  Everything normally red would be black and paint the normal black hood part red?  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

RealHorse_ct

hey at least you got a sound of the heartbeat...now just help stand it up and have it walk on its own legs, great find on an onan that fires up right after purchase, ive always went through hell and back to get them running half decent especially on my case 446 FEL... good luck!!