shallowwatersailor

New Sleeve Hitch on 523Dxi

shallowwatersailor

I made another addition to "Paladin" to make it my primary worker. Right now I am setting it up for winter and installed a Johnny Bucket Universal Electric Sleeve Hitch. This is the tractor that will have the snowthrower so I am using a scrape plow on the rear to get up near the garage doors for snow.

Once again the unique Wheel Horse hitch caused fitment issues ( attaching a Cyclone Rake was my previous challenge.) I needed to install the tongue bracket that bolts to the existing hitch backwards so that it didn't interfere with attaching the sleeve hitch. I lose the ability to put a trailer ball through the extra hole. But it would be too low to use anyway so I have plans on how to remedy this. The frame has holes at the rear for the OEM weight box and I used two of these for the metal straps. I sprung for the optional suitcase weight brackets as well. It took three tries at wiring it until I came up with actually a simple solution which doesn't require the wiring extension included with the kit and allows a quick disconnect if I need to remove the hitch.

It is a well made item and should provide years of service. I was concerned about the additional length but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

post-3066-0-29785000-1413846144_thumb.jppost-3066-0-72269400-1413846177_thumb.jppost-3066-0-85200200-1413846223_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 6

doc724

John, you are one determined and clever guy!  I am amazed at the solutions you come up with!

shallowwatersailor

Don, thanks for the complement. It is a tractor series that I really like, and enjoy making improvements on. I just wish that I could learn how to weld but until then its figuring out how to "bolt" things together.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Looks great John. Any idea what the weight of the hitch is?

This would work great on my 530 as I have the same problem as you re: operating the front and rear implements independently.

KyBlue

Looks awesome!!

shallowwatersailor

The shipping weight for the hitch was 55 pounds. He does make a rather robust product! I am figuring on this tractor being almost 1,800 pounds to blow snow.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Looks good John. Just curious, why the Johnny B???? I think there is a FEL up by you on CL that would fit the "D"... Just wondering is all.

Rob

vinnyfish1

Nice ...I love those linear actuators .... I modified a sears sleeve hitch to work with one....FYI : I just moved 25 tons of rock (#53 driveway base ) with a JB loader ...

Fun Engineer

Have you played with it yet John? What's the model of the blade that's on it? Looks pretty heavy duty.

shallowwatersailor

I'm still setting the tractor up. Ran into an issue with the input shaft bearing on the snowthrower. Snow is still about 8 weeks away as I am just going to start on the leaves today. Tomorrow is predicted to have high winds so hopefully I don't have to work on future wood for the fireplace as well. Should have more leaves to do after tomorrow.

The blade is a Sears 917.252390 Sleeve Hitch Grader Blade and, I think, made by Roper in the '70s. It weighs about 40 lbs. I plan on some paint to freshen it. Scored a snowplow for the MW/Simplicity walk behinds and will pick it up next week. I bought a HF 6.5 hp engine yesterday for the MW Chor Trac while I tear down the Clinton this winter. Winter will be over before I have everything ready!!!

DennisThornton

Now that time has passed what are your thoughts? 

WNYPCRepair
On October 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM, shallowwatersailor said:

I just wish that I could learn how to weld but until then its figuring out how to "bolt" things together.

If I can do it, you can. :)

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Now that time has passed what are your thoughts? 

The JB Sleeve Hitch is extremely well made! It definitely added to the 523Dxi capability as I can still use the hydraulics for another attachment. It does require a tractor with a frame to the rear which precludes the "Classic" Wheel Horse. I could just order the sides for the sleeve hitch and be able to put it on one of the other 5xi as well.

Besides the Roper Scratch Blade I did add the trash can hauler attachment that I had made. I could probably rig up a fork lift attachment for pallets as well do to the 250 lb. rating. There may be other uses, besides the standard garden attachments associated with a sleeve hitch.

One thing I would do differently is to install the switch for the sleeve hitch on the High-Low console. I have it on the dash where It is awkward to operate and watch behind at the same time, especially with the cab on. It is a simple thing to move when I have time.

• Like 2