boovuc

Keeping Leafs/grass out of your Onan Engine (Don't Laugh)!

boovuc

I have a bad feeling! Yoko Ono destroyed the Beatles! I don't want to be responsible for bringing down RS and WH collecting with classic tractors wearing galvanized stacks, all top heavy and leaning to the left!   :eusa-doh:

On a serious note...It's been too cold here to paint anything so it remains shiny! More leafs await it this weekend! That may do it for the season. We are suppose to hit 60+ this weekend and early next week so it will be flat black and maybe it will look a little better. :)

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Revenge of the Onan Refurbisher Alliance.

post-1689-0-89914800-1414036819_thumb.gi

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 5

km3h

Revenge of the Onan Refurbisher Alliance.

Now that is really funny.

Cable

Interesting project you have undertaken Boovuc. I can understand how clogging of the cooling air intake is such a problem for you with all of the trees around your place and the fishing camp.  My 520 herd is at 6 right now.  Two of my 48 inch decks are equipped with a factory recycler kit, model number 79190. The recycler greatly reduces the debris volume kicked out from under the deck front.  It isn't a cure all but I am most pleased with mine. I still need to clean the intake occasionally but nothing like without the recycler kit.

I don't rake or bag the leaves any more either. Catalpa and Sycamore leaves sometimes require a second pass as their leaves are so big.

Bruce

boovuc

Good to hear from you Cable! I'll bet some of those leaves require three passes. i can hide under some of the Catalpa leaves up here. 

I have my *"Ram Air Rocket Intake Leaf Preventor" painted flat stove top black now. Just need to put it on again. I have been using my 310-8 this past weekend to mulch. 

*"Ram Air Rocket Intake Leaf Preventor is not a registered trademark of anything anyone would take credit for. Any use, reproductions or other uses associated with this contraption is greatly encouraged so the original owner knows he isn't the only person who would take it out in public.

vinnyfish1

so  ...you are doing  this because , when you are mulching deep piles of leafs the deck blows the one's in front of the deck up and they block the fly wheel screen????? ... Is that correct.....just tying to understand

boovuc

That is correct vinnyfish. Only the Onan powered tractors pick up "excessive" leaf and grass debris due to their oversized air intake and the tremendous amount of air they require to cool. I never have issues with Kohler or other motors on a Wheelhorse tractor. When mulching leaves with an Onan powered Wheelhorse, you quite literally need to hand wipe the flywheel screen while moving every minute or your risking overheating the engine. Hard on the back and not conducive to safe driving!

There have been a few modes posted over the years by members who have used Plexiglas or tin at the bottom of the flywheel screen to cut down on the leaves getting sucked against the screen but you still need to wipe the screen off way too many times. This thing I put on my 416 stopped all the debris. I never had to stop while mulching. It gets it's last mulching duty for the season this weekend with a flat black paint job that is a little easier on the eyes. I'll post some pics of it in use this weekend.