boovuc

Keeping Leafs/grass out of your Onan Engine (Don't Laugh)!

boovuc

OK. This goes back to an earlier post where the author created a mod for his leaf problems on the Onan powered tractors. (His looked better than my mod). :)  I had some time today to but some fittings together. Using a 12" HVAC duct flange and an elbow, I drilled out the rivets and resized the flange to fit around the flywheel intake of the P series Onan. No screws or nuts in the configuration or conflagration depending on how bad you'll laugh at these pictures. I didn't want anything that could work loose to fall back into the elbow and go through the cooling air intake.

This is held together by rivets and the 4 standard bolts that hold the rubberized air intake cover. It is very lightweight! The flywheel screen is still covering the flywheel fins. The original screen cover is just sitting on top of the elbow. I have another screen cover that I intend on gutting to just give me the black ring that will cover the flange. I'll ruff this thing up, spray and wipe it with acetone then paint it flat black. Now don't laugh too hard though. Without anything covering the elbow end, I mulched all the leaves in the yard, and there were a bunch of them off my Maples, Hickory and Oaks. I dare say it worked great. The only debris that got sucked in was when I was against a tree or the house/garage walls where the leafs became more airborne. Very little was on the actual flywheel screen. This didn't impede the cooling air at all entering the engine tins in my opinion. It does stick out but not much further than my 42" deck on that side. And I didn't have to reach down and clear anything off the screen. Not once! I mulched this thing for almost two hours.

If anyone has a torn or broken out Onan flywheel screen cover, (the part covering the elbow opening), let me know. I'll put a wanted in the classifieds. I really don't want to cut out even my spare cover if I don't have to.

I know........... but try to picture it in flat black!  :roll:  I would only use it in the fall.   :happy-jumpeveryone:

post-940-0-20436100-1413767730.jpg

post-940-0-21237000-1413767732.jpg

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Who cares as long as works...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

just looks like you've installed a cooling tower on your nuclear reactor.

That's all.   :ychain:  

• Like 1

KyBlue

Looks good to me!

Shuboxlover

READY FOR LIFTOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diamondred

Looks Turbine powered! :auto-layrubber:

diamondred

Looks Turbine powered!   :auto-layrubber:

motox25

Looks good! I have a 60" deck and my flywheel doesn't seem to pull that much in, is it worse on the smaller decks?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The looks only a mother could love,,,,,,, lol

As long as it works.

Glenn

squonk

Turn that baby straight up  and extend it and it will look like an old Steamer!!!  :)  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Pullstart

Turn that baby straight up  and extend it and it will look like an old Steamer!!!  :)  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

and run a stack on the other side with the same size shroud.  it'd be an angry bull then

Ed Kennell

Now you did it Boo.  You got me thinking :eusa-think:  about another mod for my 520 snow thrower.  I can see a tee where you have the ell. The one leg pulling the air from my heated cab and the other leg to outside air with a in cab stat controlling the air with a damper.  I could probably keep the cab temp right at 72.5 degrees.   :woohoo:  :occasion-snowman:  

doc724

So here is a question for you 520 owners.  I understand why all the fuss, but has anyone determined if this grass sucking problem happens more with a SD deck or a RD deck?  Reason for asking is that I always (until now) had a RD deck and although all my WH were single cylinder Kohlers, I never had any issue with grass or debris getting caught on the impeller screen (of course the transmission tunnel was always full of grass clipping and leaves).  Now I have a SD deck on my 314 and the left front wheel picks up grass clippings and throws them up to where the engine sucks them in.  I am thinking that maybe a temporary "fender" over the left wheel might mitigate this problem.

scWHhauler

Looks Hot

Tankman

Straight up sick doves down for chow call!

I vac and clean after every outing.

km3h

I can't help myself, I'm laughing. But if it works, it works and that's a good thing.

Edited by km3h

Geno

I like it, it's adjustable too!   :text-woo:

Molon_Labe

:scared-eek:  Art Arfons would be proud. I like it. :)

• Like 1

boovuc

I went out to the garage tonight and looked at it and started laughing myself! Oh well. It works!  :roll:

Doc.....to answer your question, the Kohlers don't have this issue. I don't think they pull half the air that the Onans require for cooling and thus, they don't clog their flywheel screen like the Onans. I have both a rear and side discharge 42" deck and both have been hooked up to my Onans. There is no difference. Grass and especially leafs do blow out from the bottom of the mower deck and the front left wheel kicks up debris as well and it gets sucked against the screen. I quite literally need to brush leafs off the screen of my 520 and my 416-8 every two to three minutes when I am mulching my leaf debris. Big pain as you steer and lean forward to push the clumps off the screen and it does choke off the cooling for the engine. This is for leaf duty only! 

For grass cutting, I just wait for it to cool down then hit it with compressed air through the tins.

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

:scared-eek:  Art Arfons would be proud. I like it. :)

Rolls-Royce may get you for patent infringements

http://www.turbokart.com/about_pegasus.htm

Thats 520-H

The H is for Harrier.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Hit it with some black spray paint and it may look factory!

Theroundhousernr

Reminds me of something from Willy Wonka or Dr. Seuss. Easily removed or added for fall clean up so who cares what it looks like. It does the job but I believe the bigger issue is the fine particulate from every day use and grease making a nice paste forming all over everything.

One question though. When you hit 88 mph, What happens?

km3h

At 88 MPH, he goes into a time warp and "Back to the Future."

• Like 2

Geno

OK, now I want one.  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

km3h

Hey, we could start a new fad. Imagine the comments at the show next year if a bunch of us showed up with rigs like that.

• Like 1