Ken B

520 refurb

Ken B

I picked this 520 up via trade with Stevebo a few weeks ago. Its getting a real good cleanup, a repainting of the tins and some new decals. The first pic is the before pic.. Not too bad but there was a lot of paint peeling and rust coming up that is typical for the age. I got all the tins off and cleaned her up real good. Lotsa mud! I painted some of the tins last week and put them back on today along with new floor mats I cut out exact to the originals. Tomm. I will do the body work on the hood and repaint it and then some new decals and call it done.. I'm not too sure what I'll use the 520 for, snow pusher maybe.. The little guy snuck his way into the pic.. Today is the first time I've run him since the BIG SHOW. Fired on the first pull.

DSCN2299_zpsc15b7739.jpg

DSCN2313_zpsde8bfade.jpg

DSCN2304_zps3326700a.jpg

DSCN2314_zpsb32a7b35.jpg

DSCN2312_zpsd0ad6a6d.jpg

• Like 6

Desko

WOW!! Those horses look great and the refurb on the 520 looks outstanding in performance!!

AMC RULES

Smokin' hot rod Ken.   :auto-layrubber:

stevebo

As expected.... Looking great !! She was a worker for sure. One of the best running Onans I owned. Now you will finish making her pretty. Looking very nice. 

stevebo

What paint are u using?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ken, you allways turn out a nice product.

Glenn

KyBlue

Looking great!

Tim Bergfeld

I wish you were closer to cincy when I get done putting this turbo diesel in my 520 I would have you do the repaint. You do great work.

Tim

Ken B

What paint are u using?

I still have some Valspar Resto Series paint left so I'm shooting it thru my gun. Good enough for a worker...

Tankman

Great lookin' 520 you picked up. How's the hydro.....I wish but, really don't do much more than plow snow, mow an acre, and pull a wagon (firewood). Often, used for grandchildrens' "rides."

The refurb project was Pop-Pop and the grandsons. 

Was skeptical 'bout Onan but, the '90 520-8 I picked up a year ago is one fine Stallion!  :)

• Like 2

546cowboy

Interesting, Never saw a 520 with an electric clutch.

Tankman

Electric PTO? Looks like the manual PTO lever still there. Electric PTO upgrade?

Ken B

One of the previous owners added the electric PTO.I'm going to leave the handle there should it ever decide to stop working..

km3h

Beautiful job so far. You do great work.

fireman

I still have some Valspar Resto Series paint left so I'm shooting it thru my gun. Good enough for a worker...

Ken I have some of that Valspar Resto Series un-opened if your interested.

rustyoldjunk

Looking good Ken. I noticed the PTO conversion too. Might as well have came with them anyway,they came with all the other goodies. Seems like a natural upgrade.

Ken B

I painted the hood at work today. Came out nice but like anything I paint at work dust always finds its way onto the wet paint.. Not too bad though, I'll wet sand and buff it out and she'll be good to go. Hopefully pics later tonight.. I might even get one mowing in with this tractor before snow flies!

Ken B

Got the hood put back on today, hopefully by the end of the week decals will be in.. 

DSCN2318_zps845830ee.jpg

• Like 3

stevebo

Ken- You are SO predictable !! You buy a rusty horse and make it look like new...! Great work for sure. 

• Like 1

Ken B

Thanks much Steve! Its funny that after all these years playing with tractors I'm still at it.... I now wonder what the next one will be.

stevebo

Ken-

I just showed Brennan the pic and he said "why does he always have to do that"? "Why does he always have to make them look good"?? lol

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looking good Ken,,, cant wait for the decal / finish photo shoot.

Glenn

andy001

Ken.. what paint did you use to repaint the tin

fireman

Ken- You are SO predictable !! You buy a rusty horse and make it look like new...! Great work for sure.

That's what your supposed to do. Who wants to drive around in a beat up jalopy when you could be cruising in a Cadillac. Few hours of work and that looks awesome. I'm with Ken!

• Like 2

Ken B

I used Valspar Restoration Series paint thru my HVLP gun. I bought one of the last gallons of it a few yrs. back before they stopped selling it. I have painted a few tractors with it so far and I still have about a half gallon left. It is decent paint and holds up well, especially if the tractor doesn't sit outside in the sun all of the time.

The little Suburban hot rod looking tractor I painted with Rustoleum Regal Red a few yrs. ago with rattle cans. I wasn't planning to use rattle cans on it but I had them on hand so I went with it..  You'd never know rattle cans were used on it but results may vary.... The Suburban has been to two BIG SHOWS and lots of little shows in between so it has seen lots of use and been in the sun quite a bit. She still looks good and is my go to tractor for fun times...

• Like 1