JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Fishing in a,,,,,GAS TANK.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

OK,,, if this dont beat all. Just put the 416 and xi away after working them today. While re filling the fuel tank on this xi,,,, put the 5 gallong jug down. I pick up the mower gast tank cap in my left hand,,, I was still holding the gas jug cap in my left hand. (Smart move). Anyway,,,, as I go to screw the xi cap on,,,,, plunk,,,,,,,,,,,, there the the gas jug cap. Bout the size of the end of your thumb..

God bless,,,,,,,,, all I could do was stand there,,,, amazed at myself how the heck perfect that whole fiasco was. Get my flashlight,,,,, try to peer into the now FULL tank. Cant see jack s#%:×.

Anyway,,,,, has anyone a creative way to find and fish this out? Or will this be a drop / pull tank.

Not sure how the tanks shape is yet,,,, but will be looking. Thanks,,,,,,,

Glenn

• Like 1

64s

If you have a set of extra long needle nose pliers, try that.  Just poke around and see if you feel something.  I'd also try bending a clothes hanger to make a 3/4 - 1 inch hook and just fish around.  To me, its worth playing around for 15-20 minutes vs just taking it apart right away.

• Like 1

Ethan and Randies horses

if it floats fill it all the way full and see if its comes to the top I did the same thing with my 520 and after a year it finally floated to the top.

• Like 1

JackC

I would say forget the cap.  It probably will do no harm in the tank and it would be a bit of a project to unfasten and lift the rear fender to remove the tank to shake the cap out.  The tank is a very weird shape and there may be no way to get it out without removing the tank.  A new tank by the way is only $658.23 from parts tree dot com.  I have removed one and if you have some time it is not all that bad.  Plan on a few hours to do it.  See the service manual for the procedure to unfasten and lift the rear fender.  To remove the rear fender they recommend a two man lift up and off the tractor.  All you need to do is unfasten the fender and prop it up so you can get to the tank.  Working on the Xis is more like working on a small car than working on the traditional Wheel Horse.

Here is a diagram from parts tree if the link works.  You can also go to parts tree and enter Toro Consumer model 73520.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=73542%2C+520xi+Garden+Tractor%2C+1999+%28SN+9900001-9999999%29&dn=3321-940-_9400029-00024

• Like 1

squonk

Go to your favorite hardware store. Get one of those Kerosene siphon pumps and one of those claw pick up tools. Pump out the gas and grab the cap

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Update. The gas is not out. I have been fishing in there for a while now. No luck. If you see the link Jack posted. The tank is a weird shape. Look in the fill hole. Very shallow there. And drops off on all sides. Plus can't feel a darn thing in there. Taking a fishing break.

Oh. The cap does not float. It's a heavy. Thick plastic. Sunk like a stone.

Edit: mike. Using the spring claw thing.

That's my fish pole.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

Austin860

Run the old girl empty, enjoy the seat time, and before you know it you'll be shooting fish in an empty bucket

• Like 6

squonk

Leave it for the night. Go out tomorrow and it will be out in a min.

• Like 2

jackhammer

Id prop up my gas fill tank and undo the fuel line at my in line filter... Let it gravity feed till morn then use a mechanics three prong parts grabber if I was able to see the gas plug

• Like 1

Rick_in_CT

Glen,

Attached is a picture of the gas tank (this one is for sale on ebay).  As you noted, they are a very strange shape, and if the cap has gone to the far end, its going to be difficult to fish out.  Towards the center of the tank it gets deeper as well.  One thought would be to open the tank drain, drain out the gas, drive the tractor up onto some car ramps positioned on the right side tires, and hope the cap falls to the left, then try fishing out with the grabber tool.  This would not take too much time to try, and if it doesn't work, then it may mean pulling the tank.  Hopefully others will have ideas as well. 

Good luck,

Rick

post-8836-0-43809000-1413721384_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Ahab, buy a new 5 gallon gas can and let sleeping caps lay

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 5

jackhammer

easiest :woohoo:   SOI comes thru again :text-+1:

• Like 1

Eck

Looking at the picture of the posted gas tank, I would park the tractor on a grade where the cap end of the tank is higher than the other end and see if the cap inside floats to the HIGH end of the tank. Then fish it out. If not run the engine for 30 minutes to burn up some fuel, and then park it again on a grade and see if you can now see the cap inside to fish it out.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Update,,,,,,,,,,, all good suggestions. Thank you.

None worked yet. The cap does not float. It sunk like a stone. Hard injection molded plastic is my guess.

Yes,,,,, was out all day today running around the yard,, muching,, chopping,,, pulverizing leaves. There is plenty of gas left, as the tank is BIG. The little bugger is hiding in there pretty good. Like a bass hiding in the lake.

EDIT: gas tank holds 4 gallons.

Not done trying,,,,,, yet.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

doc724

I would leave it there.  The worst that will happen is that it gets caught in the float mechanism for the fuel gauge.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

When you least expect it Glenn...

that cap will surface again.  :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Aw shucks just go to your local ace hardware and get plastic magnet !!

• Like 4

AJ_Thanatos

Update,,,,,,,,,,, all good suggestions. Thank you.

None worked yet. The cap does not float. It sunk like a stone. Hard injection molded plastic is my guess.

Yes,,,,, was out all day today running around the yard,, muching,, chopping,,, pulverizing leaves. There is plenty of gas left, as the tank is BIG. The little bugger is hiding in there pretty good. Like a bass hiding in the lake.

EDIT: gas tank holds 4 gallons.

Not done trying,,,,,, yet.

Glenn

Oh if it is like a bass I will find it every time!! 

• Like 3

AMC RULES
He's looking for a gas cap here...
not a bass cap.    :)
post-3498-0-74223000-1371346058_thumb.jp
  • Like 3

AJ_Thanatos

I found these bass caps in the U.P. 

post-13750-0-76433000-1413812587_thumb.j

And this one in a creek! 

post-13750-0-50949500-1413812756_thumb.j

Thread was Hijacked... Sorry Glenn.. Im done now

Edited by AJ_Thanatos
  • Like 3

fatboycowen

If you take the fender off, the tank is pretty much loose under there. It's not a difficult job, and doesnt take long.  I bet if you had it close to empty, or drained it, pulled the fender, you could probably lift it up, tip it, and fish it out easily, without pulling any lines. That what i would do. Or, if you don't need it, just leave it until you feel like tinkering.