some-beach!

New guy ~ trying to get 'Ol Red' running again

some-beach!

Went and picked up Dad's old WH 417-A [1986 I think]. Hasn't run in 2 years. Battery was still good for a few cranks then I had to jump ~ currently on charger. When I turned the key ~ nothing ~ except for headlights worked when switched on. I used a screwdriver to jump across the starter relay and it cranked but no spark/no start. The brake pedal is tight although I did get it to move a little with force and WD-40. I know there's safety switched and I also know at least one was bypassed at some point if memory serves me. I can't tell much but something isn't allowing the key to crank it and there's no spark ~ not sure if a safety switch would make both inoperable. It ran great a couple years ago until left sitting outside in the elements. 

What safety switches are there? I think there was a PTO / neutral switch and a park brake safety switch. I don't see a seat switch or maybe that was the one bypassed???? I'm taking off the instrument panel and shift plates to get a better look. Might just be a bad connection or rusty connection.

Can't wait to hear it run, access the condition and begin to restore 'Ol Red'

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Save Old Iron

If the battery has been severely discharged for several years, capacity or "cranking time" may be near zero.

Slow charge the battery and measure the voltage across the battery while cranking. Less than 10 volts indicates a compromised battery in need of replacement.

some-beach!

Time to get an operators manual and a wiring diagram I guess...............

AMC RULES

Check for it in the manuals section here on  :rs:

Amanda

Welcome to redsquare

Molon_Labe

Geno

Sorry so late, I was out of town but hello and  :text-welcomewave:

CasualObserver

Sparky