TheMooseIsLoose

516H Surging

TheMooseIsLoose

I have surging problem that I haven't experienced with my other Wheelhorse tractors. When started it runs perfect for about 20 - 30 minutes then starts surging. Does anyone think that there is a gasket or compression problem after the motor heats up. I haven't removed the carb to clean it yet, I just cleaned my 416-8 and it runs fine now.

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

km3h

Surging is usually caused by a dirty carburetor. In your case I am not so sure though. If it does not surge upon start up and after you have fully opened the choke it might be something else. When it starts to surge, slowly pull the choke to restrict the flow of air and listen for the surging to stop. If it does, then the engine is running lean which is not a good condition. Lean will cause the engine to overheat. So try the choke and get back here.  

ericj

if it take that long to act up try checking the tank screen or the gas cap not venting and pulling a vacuum on the tank. good luck 

eric j

varosd

agree with all above, dirty carb, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel tank screen,gas cap all are suspect.

TheMooseIsLoose

I never thought about the fuel tank screen and the gas cap. I will try all, I don't have time until next friday.

LindsayLaperr

Governor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMooseIsLoose

Yesterday I loosened the gas cap and ran for 45 minutes, it didn't act up and worked ok but will use some more to be sure.

diamondred

Come to think of it, my 518 was surging the last time I use it. I remember running at full throttle while mowing when it started surging. I cut it back to about half throttle and it quit surging. Think I need to check my fuel delivery system as well. 

diamondred

The governor idea is a possibility as well. What I have read about those settings on the governor arm, the closer to the shaft, the more sensitive it reacts.  Probably the most important through is to make sure that the air/fuel mixture is correct. I usually keep mine on the rich side. When adjustable.

motox25

I'd check the governor for loose linkages and springs, this can cause hunting. Could also be an air leak in the carb or intake manifold.

louk1

I just finished doing a carb cleaning on my 89 520HC. It surged and eventually simply ran rough over a couple of year period. I just use it with a snowblower and cab so I was in no particular hurry. Got ambitious a few weeks ago and discovered that the two bolts holding the carb on the manifold had loosened, one was several threads loose. Cleaned the carb (which was not gummed), new gaskets and a valve adustment made her run like new. Runs steady at all speeds. I had to remove the muffler and the manifold in order to do it right.