HarleyMan46929

Rear PTO setup for D-series Wheel Horse

HarleyMan46929

I own a 1975 D180 Automatic, and have just finished transferring the 3 pt hitch from a '90's C195 onto the D180. What a job that was, but luckily, when I finished I didn't have any leaks, and the 3 pt hitch went up and down correctly when I moved the lever for each up/down cycle. :omg:

Now! I'm considering trying to make my own PTO shaft from the front to the rear, but I need measurements and dimensions concerning length and diameter of shaft :banghead:, pulley size (or part # so I can go to a local Wheel Horse dealer javascript:add_smilie(":kbutt:") frech03.gif, or eBay), and what kind of connection :USA: , (splined- what size diameter and spline-style) is normally used for the rear of the shaft (back of tractor). I also need to know whether I need a solid steel/iron shaft, or if a solid aluminum shaft would be enough to handle 18 hp. I don't have any PTO rear attachments YET....but I'm looking at getting (or making) a rear-mount mower, carrier, tiller, etc. Maybe I'll start keeping a garden again, as long as I don't have to hoe the darn thing...getting too old and stiff for that foolishness!!!

I know I'll need 1 pillow-style bearing for the rear, but what does the front bearing (under the front PTO pulley, about a foot down from engine pulley) look like? I saw one on eBay a week or so ago, but one of the bearings was stuck, so I took a pass on that one, not wanting that much practice at freeing the bearing from the shaft that it looked like it was well-rusted onto).

I probably won't get around to the Rear PTO shaft-building job until next Spring, due to no heat in the barn, and we're heading into winter in Indiana!!! (Need I say more?!) I"m just wanting some information ahead of time so I can draw up a list of parts to either make or buy (cheaply as possible) before I start in next Spring (which for me usually starts in around April 1st). I like to make things myself, if possible,

but I will buy one, and save the brain-aches for someone else, if I can find a good shaft, complete, for under $100. Any ideas or designs, or even pictures of the shaft, both in and out of the tractor, would be very helpful. Any ideas on parts, or better yet, if you can get me some pictures of the rear PTO system on a D180/200 would be greatly appreciated. If you can get me a picture of the shaft assembly lying outside of the tractor, that would, at the least, give me an idea of what I need to look for, or make, myself! Any pictures of the bearings, mounting locations, and the final (rear) connection to the implement(s) would also be helpful!!! Thanks for having such a fun website!!! I love to browse for hours after a hard days work!

I have been a member for since September 23rd, and I really enjoy your group. I get on here just to look to see if I'm still the only person who loves my D-series tractor that my father bought for me in 1975, when I was only 11 years old. It's still running, smokes some, but it's still kicking!! Does a Wheel Horse ever die?!!! I sure hope NOT!

refracman

Sounds like your doing a little upgradeing to your D :banghead: . While not my favorite Wheel Horse some guys do prefer them.

And yes some of them do die but not many!

I sent you a pm about the pto shaft

wh500special

Welcome to the board...another Hoosier joins in the madness.

While you don't have a location specified in your profile, I am guessing that you're from Flora, IN based on the "46929" in your screen name. You're not that far from me (60 miles) and there seems to be a lot of WH stuff around here and in your neighborhood.

You're likely to take some chiding for using a C195 hitch - which is a pretty rare item - on your D, but at least you have a starting point to do what you want to do. I don't recall what the rear bracketry for the 195's hitch looks like, but I think there is a big hole on the toplink bracket that should give you an idea on where the PTO shaft would come out.

The shaft that runs the length of the D's to provide a rear PTO is a 1" diameter (I think) shaft supported by three pillow blocks (edit: actually the rear bearing is a pillow block and the other two are flange bearings). One at the front mounted close to the splined end that takes the main drive pulley, one in the middle of the tractor, and one at the rear by the coupling. Seems like the PTO coupling is 21 splines and the female portion is mounted on the tractor while the male portion is on the implement.

While you're not likely to find a complete shaft assembly for your $100 target, i think it might be easier to just watch eBay for a complete unit. Seems like they sell around $200 plus shipping when they pop up. And they do seem to come up pretty regularly.

Making the solid steel shaft and equipping it with bearings and a front pulley is the easy part, but that rear coupler is a killer. They are expensive and tough to find. The standard D shaft is meant to rotate at 2000 rpm, but if you have your eyes set on non-WH implements and are planning to make your own shaft you could consider making it run closer to the Ag standard of 540 rpm. Might not be feasible given the pulley sizes that would be needed and the limited real estate behind the grill in which to hide everything. Also, if the speed drops the torque required goes up so the shaft size might need to increase to do this sort of thing.

I don't have anything here that you can copy, but if you're interested I will provide you with contact info for someone who might have what you need. He will be above your $100 limit though if he does happen to have something.

Send me a PM if interested.

Steve

jusjeepn

:USA: Harleyman46929. I don't own one (yet). Just wanted to say welcome and :omg: BTW, I have a daughter who lives in your neck of the woods. Around the corner in Burlington. She has an eye out for horses in your area. So if you see a young woman snoopin around your barn, be nice!!! :banghead:

C-Series14

The toplink bracket on the D Series is above the PTO while the PTO on the C-195 comes thru the bracket. I put a D Series 3 pt. on my C-195 and could not use the top link bracket or the upper lift arms...luckily, they were still available at the time! I eventually located a top link bracket. I suppose it would work on a D Series....just not vice versa.

linen beige

You can view a schematic, without measurements, on Toro's site. type in model number 83222. That might give you an idea of what you're going to need.

catman81056

The PTO shaft on my 1974 D160 is 1" 15 spline.

HarleyMan46929

This is an update on my PTO make it myself...or buy a used one with all the parts!

I have found one already, and once I manage to get the money (hopefully after the first of November), I'm going to have him ship it to me. Thanks for all the advice, folks, and to Linen Beige, thanks for the link to the Toro site and the part number I needed to see what all I should be getting with my PTO shaft assembly. Thanks, again, and if I have any more problems, or dilemmas, I'll be sure to post them on here. I'd love to put the pics of my Wheel Horse up, but the digital camera my daughter had got either lost, or someone picked it up and pocketed it, and now we can't find it, which makes posting any pics almost impossible!!! Hope to post some soon, whenever we find that camera, or buy another one!

HarleyMan46929

jhardwick

I just purchased a d160 and was thinking of building the rear pto assembly and was curious if you ever made one and how it turned 

Shuboxlover

I have a complete one for sale in the classifieds....might save you a bunch of time :)

• Like 1