andy001

Test panel lights

andy001

Just picked up anothet horse last night. This one is an 89' 312-8. The test lights are non functional. ..anyone have a few thoughts on where to start? Ive read about the corrosion issues on the board. .Can a new one still be purchased?

gwest_ca

Places like this have the parts lists online and if an item is priced the part should be available from any Toro dealer.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

Type Toro in the 2nd box and the 21-12K806 model number in the 3rd box.

Garry

andy001

I am trying to replace a couple of the test light on my instrument panel how do I know what the amperage and voltage in how many milliamps these lamps are I can't seem to find them

km3h

Check out this thread. All about the lights.    

andy001

Awesome..thank you. The guy at radio shack laughed at me when I asked for grain of wheat lamps. Another one. . Top bulb works..p brake.second one I replaced with the wrong bulb..but it also works. .the test switch Does not....bad switch or something else?

• Like 1

andy001

The blub I replaced was a 12 v 50ma grain of wheat blub...but was to dim. How many Ma are the bulbs everyone replaces with. .the sit above doesn't say and its a $10 min. Order. .id like to find them elsewhere

andy001

For example. .would a 12v 100ma bulb be correct?

km3h

Awesome..thank you. The guy at radio shack laughed at me when I asked for grain of wheat lamps. Another one. . Top bulb works..p brake.second one I replaced with the wrong bulb..but it also works. .the test switch Does not....bad switch or something else?

Look at the connector between the switch and the rest of the wiring. You may have dirty contacts. I am currently restoring a 416-H and I needed a new switch. They can be bought at Allied Electronics cheap. Jack's Small Engines a Toro dealer wants $38.00 for it. I bought a few of them for $8.30. Not real cheap but worth it for an original equipment switch. You will have to buy the button cap separately. Check my rebuild   is the site for the switch.  http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70152323

Edited by km3h

andy001

I think I found another issue with my board. .just not sure what they are called. .or what to tell the guy at radio shack I need. .what is the rating?

post-10371-141386014475_thumb.jpg

Save Old Iron

They are either 1/4 watt or 1/8th watt RESISTORS.

They are color coded with bands indicating the resistor value.

http://ece.ut.ac.ir/circuitlab/images/ResistorColorCodes.jpg

If they are burned, the colors may not be clearly visible. Resistors burn when they have too much current flowing thru them (either wrong value lamps or a short circuit was present across the lamp contacts).

Your board looks like a "new style" indicator board which I have never had a chance to investigate. Possibly if you posted a much clearer picture of where these resistors are located on your board, another member may be able to pick off the color bands from a good board.

• Like 1

andy001

Thank you. .I will post back soon with Better pics

andy001

Here are better pics. .anyone have a thought? They end of the resistors in question are split open and slightly rusty

post-10371-141388719029_thumb.jpg

post-10371-141388720289_thumb.jpg

post-10371-141388721722_thumb.jpg

andy001

It appears I have to different size resistors that are bag..anyone see any other issues?

andy001

One more...also tried to hook up the tail lights last night. .key word tried. Are they powered through the circuit board?

Save Old Iron

wash both sides of the pc board with 91% isopropyl alcohol and scrub with a toothbrush to remove any residue.

then retake the photos

we may be able to see the color bands on the resistors more clearly.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

One more...also tried to hook up the tail lights last night. .key word tried. Are they powered through the circuit board?

No.

This circuit board is an INDICATOR board. It DOES NOT control any function of the tractor. The board essentially contains 4 or 5 little "test lights" hooked to various switches in the tractor. The on or off state of the lites indicate what position the safety switches or oil sensor switch are in when you try to start the tractor.

This board in indeed the "newer" version. If we can get a good idea of the value of the resistors, the board can probably be repaired for under $10.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

The bulbs on this board appear to be red LED's, not grain of wheat bulbs like on the older version board.

Remove the bi-pin bulb you have soldered in place and pick up red LED's (which are a standard item at RShack).

• Like 1

andy001

Cool I will clean it. Keep in mind looking at board that the bulbs that are clear all way to the bottom are orig. I replaced two with 12 v 50ma bulbs geaino wheat style. My replacement and the top bulb work. Your right though. .come to think of it the top one I think is red. .dang it! I couldn't find solder in place red led at radio shack last time I was there

andy001

By the way. .how do I tell if my lights are led ?

Save Old Iron

Visual clues,

LED

http://www.polytechnichub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/led-light-mini.jpg

Grain of wheat [incandescent]

http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/miniature-grain-of-wheat-bulb?productID=b3405ae4-8390-4db9-a6fd-7d4c47bf301b&catalogueLevelItemID=4daa4a6c-ead8-427a-bd21-51c004c7a32d

plus the lower right corner of the board shows a diode (led symbol)

http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-9iRRraRnT

under the lower indicator.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

andy001

You amaze me :) so where do I find bulbs like that? I'll have the board cleaned and new pic posted tonight

Save Old Iron

More like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pcs-5mm-Round-Top-Clear-LEDs-Red-/131323697761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e93809a61

the most important consideration is matching the DIAMETER of the replacement. Measure the original. 3mm 4mm, or 5mm are common sizes.

• Like 1

andy001

Ahhh ok. Here is the board after cleaning. .I tried to be gentle on it.

post-10371-141393678838_thumb.jpg

andy001

Thanks for the link. .I'll measure before I order