Geno

Piercing leads for testing

Theroundhousernr

Another testimonial to water wicking through wire. I work in the pond industry. I also repair pond equipment (filters, pumps, ultra violet lights.....). When an ultra violet light seals get compromised or the quartz sleeve shatters, it floods the unit with water surrounding the light, socket and wires from the powers source. If left go to long, the water WILL wick it's way through the wires to the ballast and destroy the unit causing hefty repair costs. Sometimes these ballast have fifteen+ feet of wire between it and the UV unit. No challenge for the water!

squonk

Great vid SOI!  :)  :thumbs:

JC 1965

Wow Chuck !!  I'm amazed at your knowledge of electronics.    :bow-blue: Thanks for sharing the video.    :thumbs2:

dennist

Excellent video SOI

Geno

I've been waiting this whole thread for someone to tell me about those, weird.   Here's mine.

post-13404-0-47740300-1415203029_thumb.j

I thought this was over a few weeks ago, is somebody bored?  :laughing-rolling:  

The entire reason of this post was for people on the :wh:  forum to work on their  :wh: , better than what most do when the knife comes out.  Not cars, planes or space shuttles, just old Horses.  :laughing-rolling:

bluebug

But, don't you want your repair to last longer than it took to develop the problem in the first place.

A good repair will last as long as the Wheel Horse.

An it will work for now repair, means you may be back into it sooner than you would like.

Clark

• Like 1

Geno

The entire reason of this post was for people on the :wh:  forum to work on their  :wh: , better than what most do when the knife comes out.

This was never about me, just trying to give people on here a little better way to do things.  Everyone here is at different stages and to spend time on here slamming the way they do things is not courteous, professional, or customer service driven, trying to move someone along as they are ready certainly is, so I try to take little steps.  :)

No repair will last as long as the horse, even the original wiring and many other parts can't do that. 

km3h

Very few of us have the need nor the money to buy expensive testing equipment. I have pierced a lot of wires in my 78 years. It is certainly not the best thing to do and I would never say it was but for the back yard mechanic with limited need for high priced testing tools it will work. I put a piece of rubber tape around it. I think the next time I have to do it I will use a dab of crazy glue along with the tape..  

• Like 2

stephan07

i like the debate it is one i had when i was doing automotive electric work. now that i am in IT the tools work on horses and xjs only. i have used the peircing probes, only when i had to (ex time constraints). but i would prefer not to. I do have enough electrical testing equipment to figure out about anything. however on my 310 i have never found a place i couldn't use my power probe 3 or multimeter. i love the power probe made my life easier many times.

Edited by stephan07
  • Like 3

Save Old Iron

on my 310 i have never found a place i couldn't use my power probe 3 or multimeter.

agree 100%

The fanciest tools available won't fix the issue if the user is ignorant of how to use them and what the tool's limitation(s) are. Understanding the function of the circuit being investigated is also necessary.

Understanding how the circuit works will eliminate 95% of the wiring from suspicion before the test equipment is even powered on. Eyes, ears and noses are pretty darn good at diagnosing the vast majority of L&G issues. A 4 foot long jumper wire can usually get you the rest of the way.

Garden tractors are 5 to 6 feet in length. The hood stand is Grand Central Station for wiring, the longest wire in the tractor is usually no more than 3 - 4 foot in length.

Power probes get a big thumbs up in my book as they attempt to force more current thru a corroded wire or terminal than a standard ohmmeter. This principle has the distinct advantage of "asking more" from a connection before calling it good.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 3

Digger 66

I never even knew such a tool existed .

& here I thought I had "everything"  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 2

stephan07

digger i wouldnt say i have everything. every good mechanic knows there is no such thing as having enough tools lol. my wife on hand, her jaw almost hit the floor when i moved my tools home and told the insurence guy the value

• Like 2