prondzy

Project "SUPER WHEEL HORSE"

prondzy

I decided to start a post, because over the last couple months in my head I have been "building" a "Super Wheel Horse". So I have a basic idea of what I want, most of the parts are pieces from various tractors I have collected. Yes this will be a "Mutt" but hey why not use up some parts laying around.  I want to use it mainly for pulling a single bottom plow, running my 5000w generator, tiller and really any other accessory I can think of. So it will be a short frame, eight speed, 16hp kohler, with at round hood.... well there I go giving the project away. Just to make sure I don't miss any details in the final build, what details, or parts would you add to make it truly a "Super Wheel Horse", or just cool?

jeremi3210

Sounds cool, can't wait for pics.

GM_Man

The 520 swept front axel is always cool!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Tri ribs on the front, and the rear...

Carlisle Tru-Power 26x12-12 Ags.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sounds interesting,,,,, cant wait to see it evolve.

Glenn

• Like 1

Geno

To truly build a "Super Wheel Horse" you would have to start with a bigger tractor, I say go for the super cool effect.  :text-woo:

Shynon

You will probably need to find a Big Block :teasing-poke:  :ychain:

CasualObserver

Mike... this should be interesting for sure.  I'd add the reduction steering and swept axle from a 520. That will give you a great stance on that short frame, and give you a great look to offset some nice meaty rear tires.  Not to mention it would be nice and stable if you end up building a loader for it.... going to have to have a loader if you truly want it to be "Super" :thumbs:

Ken B

My first and second thoughts were forward swept with beefy tri ribs .A complete setup can get kinda pricey if you don't already have the parts though...

bmsgaffer

I have another vote for the swept axle.

I'm building my own version of the super wheel horse by combining a black hood hood and hood stand with the 520 frame/axle. I guess it all depends what you are using it for. I will be mainly plowing snow on many driveways so a hydro with foot pedal would be best, but I think for ground engaging tiller or plow i would like the 8 speed.

I am using the P220 till it dies because it sounds awesome but I have a completely rebuilt K341 ready to go in when it gives up.

Edited by bmsgaffer

oaktown1987

I don't get why everyone thinks the onan sounds so good they don't idle smooth and hard to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmsgaffer

I don't get why everyone thinks the onan sounds so good they don't idle smooth and hard to start

I guess it depends on your experience...

My onan that has been sitting for years idles and runs smooth as butter and starts with just a second of cranking. I have had Kohlers that are hard to start and dont run smooth, it just depends on the condition of the engine i think.

The one lungers just are a little more rough by nature (they arent balanced with another cylinder!).

Dont get me wrong, I still love the sound and power of my Kohlers and I know i can go back to them every time for reliability and simplicity, but now that I have tried the Onan... I like it too :)

oaktown1987

I think one lungers run more balanced the onans I've seen were maintained very well seen kohlers never been taken care of one of my kohlers started first crank no choke

RMCIII

Now we are talkin': Photo of my super wheel horse, only truly a wheel horse. I have it planned already...... Just have to start the process.... (2) xi's will be combined into 1 to make this: It will look like this, just a WH - version.

Yes, tracks will be used and a 30hp. diesel engine..... The biggest cost to this entire project are the darn tracks. If we are talking a SUPER HORSE, Horse should be a Clydesdale - IMHO! :woohoo:

Rob

post-10322-0-67312200-1413451592_thumb.j

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 1

JC 1965

Sounds very interesting, can't wait to see the pics.    :thumbs2:

prondzy

Well I do like the idea of a swept axle. I don't have one on hand unless someone has one they would like to donate for cheap. Any other suggestions?

pacer

Will the center/pivot pin on a swept axle change over to the C tractors with out mods??

bmsgaffer

I think it matches up.

Based on what I have read:

The only modification you have to make is drill holes for where the gear reduction rack mounts. The frames are the same otherwise. I was going to do this but found a 520 frame so i am pulling the tower and hood from the C series instead of swapping the steering.

546cowboy

SUPER HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-1334-0-59763700-1413581119_thumb.jp

• Like 1

thehorse

beer holder

prondzy

beer holder

Isn't that why the wife is on the patio? But I like your thinking!
  • Like 1

jamesgasho89

My super horse would start with a long frame and 8speed re enforced for rigid ness and additional weight on the whole tractor. Tri ribs up front 26x12x12 rear turfs cause chains can always be added a recoil start lister or hatz diesel for their service life. Larger engine pully and smaller trans pully for a little more top end speed wouldnt loose much torque thanks to the gears of the 8 speed Thats my blue print