AMC RULES

Fastenal tractor shipping?

AMC RULES

I'm thinking about moving an RJ from Indiana to New York using Fastenal as the carrier...     :thanks: 

anyone have experience using them before? What's your best guess as to the cost of them shipping it will be? 

They told me over the phone, it's based on the actual weight, and size before they'll know for sure.   :confusion-shrug:

slammer302

I read a thread awhile back were a guy shipped a c100 I think and it was 250$

KC9KAS

Another member here checked on a price from Fastenal from Southern Indiana to Miami FL and it was $270 for a complete tractor.

I have used Fastenal for a couple of seat pans and the prices were reasonable and took "about" a week.

stevebo

I used them to ship a 520-8 from MO. to CT for 175 with a 48 inch deck attached. I found they do not weigh the tractor and they really care about the footprint of space it is taking up. I do not think they actually measure so "IF" you want to underestimate your tractor measurements and weight you may be ok. 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I had a quote for moving a standard c series tractor for right around 175 i think.

In my experience they want it on a pallet and all the fluids drained. I haven't used them but I haven't heard any real complaints.

Fun Engineer

Agree with both these statements. Pallets work best and they don't weigh them. They are mostly concerned with the space they take up.

stevasaurus

Craig, pull up the manual for the tractor...it will give you the weight and dimensions.  The Fastenal I use has pallets there and will help tie it down.  Next pull up Fastenal's website and fill out the 3rd party form...listing the Fastenal dealer that it is shipped from and the dealer it is shipped to.  They will get back to you with in 24 hours with a price and the information.  You can decide then if you want to do it that way or not.  :)  I like these guys.

One thing to be aware of...it is hard to go to their store and not buy any thing...they have all the stock you would love to have in your garage.  :)

chipwitch

Another member here checked on a price from Fastenal from Southern Indiana to Miami FL and it was $270 for a complete tractor.

I have used Fastenal for a couple of seat pans and the prices were reasonable and took "about" a week.

That would be me...  BUT.... my only experience with them is buying a fender pan from "KC9KAS".  I got a call to pick up the package about 2 days after it was shipped.  I was impressed with the speed... until I drove 10 miles to get the package... Turned out to be a pallet of Ford tractor fenders (box was crushed and I could see inside) for someone else.  Had my shipping number on it, of course they called me so they had my name and number associated with that number and the poor guy who was waiting for the pallet was none the wiser till I called him.  So, while I'm still waiting for my package to arrive, my experience thus far does not instill a lot of confidence in them.

chipwitch

Oh... beware of one thing... if you do this, not all Fastenal's are equipped to handle a package as large as a tractor.  My local store only has a pallet jack and two employees.  Beyond that, you're on your own.  Might want to call the store at each end to be sure.  One store doesn't seem to know what the others are doing.

AMC RULES

Just got off the phone with my local store...

guy in receiving is all in a tizzy, said he's never heard of this before. 

Can't believe this will ever fly, have to wait for the store Mgr's return call tomorrow. 

Talked to the store on the shipping end(Indiana)yesterday...

said, yeah no problems...local :wh: guys do it all the time.   :eusa-doh: 

Edited by AMC RULES

chipwitch

LOL... keystone shippers... Sounds about right.  I'll let you know how my fender pan looks..  They expect it in tomorrow.  How?  I don't know.  They couldn't tell me where it was on Tuesday, when we discovered the mixup.

AMC RULES

Beginning to sound like I may be at the mercy of the  :wh: gods with this deal.    :scratchead:

Wonder if they offer insurance on any of this stuff, to ensure it actually makes it to it's destination in one piece?  

chipwitch

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

AMC RULES

Guess that means no. 

stevebo

I had the same issue with "where is my tractor" and most I spoke to did not know. I had to speak with the right person who was able to find it. It is worth it when you see your new tractor at the loading dock tho... :happy-partydance:

squonk

The girl (Manager) at my Fastenal is scared of the forklift. The regular forklift driver is only there in the Morning so if I want to ship or recieve i have to take time off. I shipped a tiller this spring and I was the first one they ever did

AMC RULES

I would think it would be hard for them to lose something they don't see everyday. 

chipwitch

It's hard to make the USPS look like the consummate shipping service but danged if Fastenal isn't giving it their best effort.  I forgot to mention, the Ford fenders were "close."  Should have been shipped to a store about 15 miles away.  Oh, and it came from a different state than where my package was shipped from so it's not like the shipping labels fell off in the back of the truck. 

GM_Man

My buddy used this site to ship his 3/4 ton Chevy from Idaho to Ohio. It might be worth looking into.

www.uship.com

chipwitch

Today marks one week since my package was shipped... Indiana to Florida.  No word yet.

squonk

Fastenal only ships these items when there is room on the trucks. If the truck is full with their stuff., your item will sit. Customer shipping is not a priority. They do it to make a little cash and avoid having a half empty truck traveling the interstates.

Funny story about Fastenal. Young guy I work with has a cabin  in the woods. Real secluded area with a little lane way driveway. He came home one day and noticed something in the woods by the driveway. Some Fastenal boxes loaded with bolts. kept looking and founded boxes of safety glasses.Then he found some boxes opened and empty and saw some work gloves stuck in the tree limbs. all the customers name was on the boxes. Turned out the driver knew he was going to be fired at the end of the day so he dumped the load to get back at them.

AMC RULES

Yeah...that's not good. 

Fun Engineer

Sounds like the kind of employee that you don't want working for you. I personally interviewed and selected each employee that worked for me In my previous carrier life. Never made a bad choice. Lucky, or just a good judge of character?

VinsRJ

I all I know... you need to talk to my brother Craig, he is the master at Fastenal shipping... he has moved so many tractors, of all sizes, with them.... he has all of the ins and outs and has never had an issue. If you play games with them like under measuring the size or half as(s) the pallet then you will run into issues.

There should be no issues with moving an RJ... 

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 1

chipwitch

The experience I mentioned previously had nothing to do with packaging issues.

Sender #1 is in one state and is in no way affiliated with sender #2 in another state.  Package #1 is a pallet. Package #2 is a box (I believe?).  Package #1 and Package #2 are both being sent to different stores in the same county in Florida.  Package #1, somehow ends up with Recipient #2's name, phone number and tracking number.  When package #1 is delivered, it's delivered to the wrong store... Destination #2.  Recipient #2 receives the phone call that her package is ready for pickup.  Obviously, being package #1, it is the wrong package for recipient #2.  If they look in the system for the package with the shipping number given to Sender #2 at the time of dropping off the package, their system says the item has arrived, but that, as previously mentioned was wrong.  Their response is, "Let's give it time to show up."  I don't know what tracking number got on my package or how.  It is baffling how the sender in one state is issued a tracking number that is somehow placed on a different package, in a different state.  It is demonstrative of a poorly organized, poorly managed organization.  I'd think twice before intrusting a valuable antique to them.  Maybe problems are rare with Fastenal... One can imagine an accident where a package is damage, or even theft by an unscrupulous employee, but this kind of error is simply incomprehensible.