Ed Kennell

Gutter cleaning accident

Digger 66

I wish the best for your son, and hope for a speedy and complete recovery.  

Ditto ^ 

Stigian

Ouch!!  all the best to your son, I hope recovery is fast..

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Mike is still at rehab waiting for the swelling to go down enough to operate. Thought I'd get the equipment ready for when he comes home. I had just put everything back in storage after Mrs. K's back fusion in August. She is walking now without any aids and will start rehab therapy in two weeks.

post-7208-0-21474400-1413844214_thumb.jp

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Ed, I just saw this...Holy Cow!!!  A lot like when I fell out of the tree a few years ago.  You know it is going to take a long time to rehab once he gets to that point.  My prayers with you and Mike as you go through this.  The bad thing is, like me, it did not need to happen.  GOD SPEED MATE. 

• Like 1

Geno

Looks like you're all ready Ed, what a great dad.  :text-+1: 

AJ_Thanatos

Just saw this Ed..  That really sucks.. Best wishes and a complete recovery for your son. 

Ed Kennell

Well, It's been a long 12 days of waiting since Mike fell.  But the orthopedic surgeon has given his OK that the swelling is down enough to operate.

His team will begin the reconstruction of Mikes knee and lower leg tomorrow  morning.

Thanks to all my WH brothers..and sisters for wishing him well.

• Like 2

Geno

Great news, let us know how it goes!  :)

shallowwatersailor

That is great to hear! Keep us informed.

Ed Kennell

Good News. The surgeon just came out and reports all went well. It was a long 7 hour repair. Mike is in recovery now.

• Like 5

Geno

All I can say is :text-woo:

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Awesome news!!  Glad to hear that!  :woohoo:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ed, just saw this, sorry. Glad things are coming along.

Glenn

Rick_in_CT

So sorry to hear about your son.  I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery. 

Thanks for posting this it is a very timely reminder.  I am going to be doing my gutters this weekend.

My grandfather fell off the roof many years back, and after having a shattered leg, he had a remarkable recovery for someone who was probably in his 70's at the time.

He is very lucky to have his family by his side. 

Sounds like he should get a special Halloween treat today.

Rick

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Just spent the morning with Mike @ rehab.  He is doing great since his surgery on Monday, and barring any

complications, will be coming home on Sunday.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Just spent the morning with Mike @ rehab.  He is doing great since his surgery on Monday, and barring any

complications, will be coming home on Sunday.

Awesome news!!  So glad things are going well! Once again best wishes on his recovery from Michigan! 

• Like 1

Geno

Great news Ed!  :text-woo: :text-woo:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:happy-jumpeveryone:   Good news .....I  loaded Mike and his wheelchair and took him in for his 4 week check up today and  he came out on crutches.

Getting out of the wheelchair was a big step.  The surgeon did some strength tests on his dislocated right shoulder and the broken ribs on the left side an gave him the OK to use the crutches.

The left leg is healing, but is probably 4-6 months from being able to bear any weight.  The surgeon says this was the worse knee fracture that he ever attempted to repair.

Caution....do not read any further if you do not want details of the accident.

When Mike slid off the roof, feet first, he grabbed the spouting with his right hand dislocating his shoulder. This action swung him vertical and caused him to land on his locked right leg instead of his head or back.   His left leg missed the wall and the full force of his  220 lbs  falling 20' was taken on his right leg.  The stronger upper leg bone (femur) was driven down thru the lower leg bone (tibia) about 4" splintering it into 6 major pieces and dozens of small fragments.  The fibula was also broken one place.  These 6 major  pieces of the upper tibia have been screwed back together and surrounded by a metal band that also has a vertical bar attached to the good part of the lower tibia. 

We thank God that Mike landed on his feet and did not suffer a fatal or paralyzing injury.

We are thankful for the surgeons that did an amazing job of reconstructing the knee.

We thank you,  and all those that offered good wishes and prayers.

• Like 2

19richie66

Awesome news Ed. Well not the tibia and fibia, screws and stuff but you know what I mean. I hope his healing goes well. Also try and have a Happy Thanksgiving..... A lot extra to be thankful for this year.

Geno

What a miracle that he can walk at all!  So glad to hear the good news Ed!  :text-woo:

rick

Glad to hear the healing is going well!

Coadster32

Looks like I've been under a rock, just seeing this now. :hide:

Wow, amazing fall, and recovery!! Hope things continue to go well for him. I bet he's glad to have the support of his family thru all of it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell

Very thankful to have Mike with us this Thanksgiving day .... and even stand and join in the prayer circle.

post-7208-0-86519400-1417215789_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Digger 66

:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Geno

:text-yeahthat:     :text-woo:

• Like 1