Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Bearing plate / blower housing differences

sorekiwi

I've just been trying to fit a blower housing off a recoil start K161 onto a K181. And it doesnt want to fit... :banghead:

It fits really well on the K161 bearing plate, but just wont go onto the 181. I always thought the bearing plates were the same on all the small block engines. The only difference I noticed was the 181 had dowels to locate the coil (magneto) whereas the 161 didnt.

Anyone else run into this? Guess I gotts pull the flywheel off again and have a look, and probably just use all the 161 bits.

WH_Hobie

when we were rebuilding my 161 we put a different bearing plate on it and flywheel. but the blower housing that was on it at first won't fit now

TT

When Kohler changed magneto styles from the magnet rotor mounted on the crankshaft to the magnets mounted inside the flywheel, the flywheel became a little larger. The bearing plate and blower housing also grew slightly to match the increased flywheel diameter. The difference isn't much more than about 3/32", but it prohibits using an older blower housing on the newer bearing plate.

edit: changed above dimension to 3/32" - I had 3/16" for some odd reason. Too early in the day, maybe? :banghead: :USA:

sorekiwi

Well that blows, but makes sense too. Thanks guys.

The difference in mine seems to be like 1/16", close enough that you cant see whats wrong, but far enough away that there's no way you can make it work.

Oh well, I wanted to take some of the end play out of that crank anyway....

sorekiwi

How to change the bearing plate without draining the oil: :banghead:

IMG_1931.jpg

I found out the PTO side seal leaks... <_<

For reference the K161 is on the left (blue), the K181 plate is on the right (red).

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

I really wasnt able to get any good measurements to distinguish the two, and the only differences I could see is that the K181 plate has a part No cast into the back (visible in the last photo), and also has pins to locate the coil, as mentioned above.

I wish there was an easy way to identify them, it will catch someone else out at some stage.

By the way, the motor ran OK, not a smoker, so I'll probably pretty her up a bit and use it on the Lawn Ranger.

linen beige

It appears that the timing mark sight holes are not in the same place.

sorekiwi

It appears that the timing mark sight holes are not in the same place.

Good eye Jim, yes they are indeed in a different place.

Which opens up another can of worms... I guess I have to make sure I am using the correct flywheel, since the timing marks must also be in a different place.

This was supposed to be a simple "see if she runs OK, if so paint it and put it on the tractor" exercise, which is turning into another time consuming chore....