82Caddy

Third generation wheel horse owner

82Caddy

Hi All,

My grandpa bought this 1972 Wheel Horse Commando 800 Special brand new. He used it to mow his yard and move snow in the winter up until probably 15-16 years ago when my parents acquired it from him. They used it until about 10 years ago when it developed some issues (I’ll get to those later) after a rebuild. Now, it’s my turn to play with this old beast. My wife and I just bought a house and we needed a lawnmower and snow mover. Best part, this one was free. It needs some love and work but that’s ok.

I bought the snow blade yesterday because it was a good deal and I figured if I have a push blade and a snow blower that means I can start looking for another tractor to run the blower :)

It has a few issues, maybe I need to post those in the engine area, but overall I like this little machine. It seems fairly simple and easy to work on. First issue is with the throttle and I think is causing the second issue. When I move the throttle lever the cable housing moves a bit and then starts to move the cable. It’s hard to describe so I have a few pictures.

Second issue is there is no throttle control besides idle and wide open. I think this is all being caused by the throttle cable issue above. I can manually move the lever on the carb and it’ll go whatever speed I ask it to.

15311683429_629672d8f0_o.jpg

Even Ellie approves :)

15498230132_6b9d9b3363_o.jpg

15475450906_aa201d557b_o.jpg

Serial Tag:

15495442351_e987b3bf82_o.jpg

Engine:

15475450626_aaf2764f61_o.jpg

15311682839_56e71071a0_o.jpg

Throttle cable issue (coiled housing moves):

15311928598_afb94cac79_o.jpg

Gas tank hold down? I feel like there should be more parts here that aren't wire...

15311682399_999b256ff5_o.jpg

Couple more questions, what is a good place to get a new seat for these? Mine is weathered and cracked. Not very comfy on the butt ;) Is there a preferred vender or a list of vendors that have a good reputation or am I better off going to a place like Mills Fleet Farm for parts and things? I’m new to this whole Wheel Horse game and want to get this thing going well before the snow flies ïŠ

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS:

I get my replacement seats from a local RURAL KING. I am sure any farm & family type stor has them.

Once in a while you can find a Wheel Horse seat on Craigslist or Ebay.

Your fuel tank hold-down is missing a spring from the U shaped end forward to the frame under the fuel tank.

The outter coiled sleeve on the throttle (and choke) should NOT move. That is your throttle problem.

82Caddy

I get my replacement seats from a local RURAL KING. I am sure any farm & family type stor has them.

Once in a while you can find a Wheel Horse seat on Craigslist or Ebay.

Your fuel tank hold-down is missing a spring from the U shaped end forward to the frame under the fuel tank.

The outter coiled sleeve on the throttle (and choke) should NOT move. That is your throttle problem.

I figured it shouldn't move. What is the best way to secure that? I tried squishing the hole smaller that the coiled sleeve goes through without much luck.

Sparky

You and your Commando 800 are in good hands now!

Mike...........

Geno

Hello and  :text-welcomewave:  again. 

KC9KAS

I figured it shouldn't move. What is the best way to secure that? I tried squishing the hole smaller that the coiled sleeve goes through without much luck.

It looks like there is a small (squeeze together) clamp on the end of the movable throttle lever control. The part where the coiled sleeve ends. That is what should hold the coiled sleeve in place and keep it from moving. I think that is the part you "squished".

Is the wire hard to move in the coiled sleeve? If it is too hard to move, and you havent broken the place where the coil part is squeezed, you may need to replace the throttle wire and coiled sleeve...I think you could find a generic cable pretty easy & not too expensive.

AMC RULES

82Caddy

It looks like there is a small (squeeze together) clamp on the end of the movable throttle lever control. The part where the coiled sleeve ends. That is what should hold the coiled sleeve in place and keep it from moving. I think that is the part you "squished".

Is the wire hard to move in the coiled sleeve? If it is too hard to move, and you havent broken the place where the coil part is squeezed, you may need to replace the throttle wire and coiled sleeve...I think you could find a generic cable pretty easy & not too expensive.

Yep, that clamp piece on the end of the moveable throttle lever is what I squished/pinched together. The cable itself seems to move just fine just nothing holding it in place.

Molon_Labe

:WRS: The only way I've found to fix that type of problem with a cable is to remove the entire assembly from the tractor, lay it out straight, unscrew the cable housing (outer sheath) completely from the bracket and use a vise to close the gap in the bracket until the housing will snugly thread back in. You'll get 'er done.

Edited by M_Bailey

CasualObserver

:WRS: I'm just down the road in Kasson. Your dealer decal caught my eye. I'm sure you're aware Manke's is still in business. There are a few other members in our general vicinity. welcome aboard, look forward to meeting up sometime.

Sent using Tapatalk

Amanda

Welcome to redsquare

82Caddy

:WRS: The only way I've found to fix that type of problem with a cable is to remove the entire assembly from the tractor, lay it out straight, unscrew the cable housing (outer sheath) completely from the bracket and use a vise to close the gap in the bracket until the housing will snugly thread back in. You'll get 'er done.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing over the weekend.  Seems to work better  now but still doesn't feel right.  Seems like there isn't much adjustment between wide open and idle.  I can at least control how much the throttle cable moves now.  Little steps :)

Up next is looking for some new tires since these are all dry rotted and cracked.  Primary purpose for this machine will be pushing/blowing snow so any recommendations for that?  Driveway is all concrete so no gravel or dirt to worry about.

:WRS: I'm just down the road in Kasson. Your dealer decal caught my eye. I'm sure you're aware Manke's is still in business. There are a few other members in our general vicinity. welcome aboard, look forward to meeting up sometime.

Sent using Tapatalk

I did not know that Manke's is still in business.  I don't get over that way very often.  My wife and I just bought a house in NE Rochester so things are pretty crazy right now but keep me posted if a meet or something is going on.

Jake Kuhn

tlb41

:greetings-wavegreen:Welcome to RedSqaure!

Terry M

Welcome to :rs:

953 nut

:WRS:   Ellie is one lucky dog!   :text-welcomeconfetti: 

can whlvr

CasualObserver

Sent using Tapatalk

I did not know that Manke's is still in business.  I don't get over that way very often.  My wife and I just bought a house in NE Rochester so things are pretty crazy right now but keep me posted if a meet or something is going on.

Hey @82Caddy just wanted to make sure you knew about the big get-together over at the LeSueur Pioneer Power show in a few weekends....  Hope you can make it over!

Edited by CasualObserver

82Caddy

I'd love to make it over, but I'm out of the country to visit relatives in Norway for a few weeks starting in September...