oldblue1993

Carburetor question

oldblue1993

Could I use a #30 carb off of a 14hp on a 12hp that had a #26? I have a bad needle and seat in mine and a bad float. I stopped by the boneyard today and all I came up with was a #30 off a 14. The only differance I see is the venturi but they use the same gasket. I am not looking for any power increase just for it to be smooth running .I really havent taken any time looking at this just thought I would ask before I spend any time on it or I will just use parts off of it.

Edited by oldblue1993

Terry M

if your talking Kohler and looking for a carb for a 12hp/ k301,  maybe you would consider buying a brand new after market carburetor rather than trying to piece together an old one.  These carbs start around $50 and up on ebay.  And also, I don't believe a k321/14 hp kohler carburetor is compatable with a k301/12hp kohler engine.

Just my 2 cents

oldredrider

You should be fine with the #30 on the 12. It may run a bit rich but tweeking the adjustments will smooth it out.

oldblue1993

Thanks, I am only putting it on till I can come up with funds for the right one, which wont be for a while now, I just try and have everything running for winter so moving them around is easier, as far as ebay, 50 would only get me a used one that chances are someone else pieced together "sorry bad luck with ebay this summer" .  I will see how it does and keep my eyes open for the right one. But thank you for the input/

Fordiesel69

You will be fine with that swap, just adjust it out with the needles to get it where you want.

Save Old Iron

idle mixture might be fussy due to lower airflow velocity thru the throat

but high speed adjust should be ok

tbarnhart

If my measurements are correct, the number represent the diameter of the venturi in 32nds of an inch. A 26 would be 13/16 and was used on the 10s and 12s. There were a few 28s that were used on the 14s but most 14s and 16 had the 30 which would have a 15/16 venturi. The carbs are interchangeable with a few basic understandings. Larger displacement engines with a smaller carb may lose a tiny bit of max power. Smaller engines with larger carbs will tend to have a poor transition between idle and WOT. It should adjust out to idle and run WOT well, and if the mid range is ok, no reason not to run it. It won't hurt anything.

Terry M

Sounds like you guys know your carbs..and have a bit more experiance than I do.  I was just trying to say that the proper carb is an engines best friend . :)   

oldblue1993

Thank you guys , I went out and put it on tonight and played with it a bit in the barn, I will say it sure runs WAY better then before . I was getting mad because it was just sitting there and I knew I couldnt do anything with it. I will get it out of the barn tomorrow and see how she does but it idled nice and and went through rpms fine "did not even sound bad with the pepper can muffler" I am really pleased with it so far. The one I had the PO had opened the jets further then the #30 carb was ,so either way it kinda had to be better. This made her sound like she has some life. 

I have a pretty sweet bone yard, I got the carb, a canister muffler and a starter for 5 bucks. so it was  worth a shot, that may have paid off.

Coadster32

Thank you guys , I went out and put it on tonight and played with it a bit in the barn, I will say it sure runs WAY better then before . I was getting mad because it was just sitting there and I knew I couldnt do anything with it. I will get it out of the barn tomorrow and see how she does but it idled nice and and went through rpms fine "did not even sound bad with the pepper can muffler" I am really pleased with it so far. The one I had the PO had opened the jets further then the #30 carb was ,so either way it kinda had to be better. This made her sound like she has some life. 

I have a pretty sweet bone yard, I got the carb, a canister muffler and a starter for 5 bucks. so it was  worth a shot, that may have paid off.

Pretty darn good boneyard you have access to for sure. Sounded like a killer score to me. Glad it worked for you.

oaktown1987

My 14 had a 26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbarnhart

It could of had. The numbers I posted above were what I've seen and been told. I've actually never seen a 28 and they are said to be rare. All the 14s that I've looked at had 30s, but I don't know if they all came that way or not. Carbs can easily be swapped as well, so sometimes you don't really know what is original. What really matters is if it runs well. It stands to reason that the smaller bore carbs will be more tolerant of midrange throttle changes. I have a Techy OH160 on my C-160 that has a Walbro carb slightly larger than a Kohler 30. It idles well and runs out well, but can often stall if quickly opened up from idle. Larger carbs need some sort of accelerator pump to be able to transition well through the mid range, which sadly few small-engine carbs have. If i gently speed it up a bit before giving it full throttle, it's fine. Just the tradeoff of being able to breath through a big hole under max load.

oaktown1987

Some 14s had 26 from factory looked up numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk