Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Good running Tecumseh's

BairleaFarm

How come it seems people really dontl ike these motors? ive got one on my tiller and the thing does a awsome job. Ive tilled roots up and that little 5hp still has more than enough power to turn the wheels. A carb rebuild and pull cord is all that needed to be replace in the 20 years this tiler has been around.

bell

I wouldn't say that I don't like them, I just haven't had very good luck with them...

sorekiwi

How come it seems people really dontl ike these motors?

I dont really hate them as much as I make out. Well maybe I do.... But I do like the Kohlers better.

To be fair the only ones I've owned have been well abused for 45 years before they got to me, so Ive been faced with trying to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse... :banghead:

I decided to go with a Kohler on my Lawn Ranger mainly due to not having enough Tecumseh bits lying around to build a complete motor. If I'd been able to find a reasonable condition, reasonably pyiced H60 locally I probably would have gone with it. Or if I'd been able to find a bearing plate for an HH60, I would definately have gone for that...

I have an H55 on a 502 that [now] actually runs pretty well. I had to have some welding done to reclaim the exhaust port (no exhaust brace on it when I got it) and at the same time I put some rings in it. But it took a long time to sort out the carb on that one, which was the main problem. I must've had that thing apart 20 times. It also seems to be a little "raucous" - it idles fine, and runs fine when its screaming its little head off, but it doesnt seem to have the low end torque that the Kohlers have.

Also the whole flywheel and cylinder head off to change the points and time the thing gives me a pain in the butt. And I hate torqing cylinder head bolts into 40 year old aluminum...

I do think the internal oil pump on the H55 is pretty cool...

I did think about buying a new HM80 for the Ranger, but decided if I was going to spend that much on a new engine, I'd rather get a new GC Honda, which I am pretty sure would be a tidy installation.

In the end I had the Kohler, its an easy swap, a known product and should start when I pull the string.

But to all you Tecumseh nuts (you listening Wild Bill?) I admire your patience and perseverance, and thank you for not bastardizing your tractors as I have just done. :USA:

Docwheelhorse

I also have not had good luck with Tecumseh's ---EXCEPT--- when its 20 degrees out and there is a pile of snow to be cleared. I don't know why and maybe Bill can tell us but if you have an HM80 on a blower and the points are good (or electronic if lucky) the thing will start, run and work its Azz off. Take that same motor and try to run it during the summer and it will act like a cranky kid :banghead:

Tony

linen beige

I think Mike hit the main reason for their being less popular than Kohlers. It's a lot more work to tune one up, and the carbs are finicky to say the least. But I have 2: An HH100 that runs great when the carb's right, and a V55 that sat unused for thirty five years. I cleaned the points, poured in some gas and she started on the first pull. Really about half way into the first pull she was running, with no smoke. But she does hunt throttle and I can't get her steady. I think they are good engines, if you have time to keep them up. But I do still like Kohlers better.

sorekiwi

I remembered this morning the other trait of the dreaded Tecumseh that ticks me off...

Overfill the oil by 2 ounces, and in a heartbeat it will puke oil all over the front of the motor, the hood, the front of the frame, your front axle, your garage floor and anything else within sight....

jusjeepn

Amen brother!! :banghead:

jerrell

:USA: i have had 4 engines, all 13.5 hp, on mowers and a generator, and every one of them had a carb problem, the engines stood up great but the carbs always messed up at least one time a year, i just quit messing with them now and won't have one, more kohler onan and honda man now. i do have to be honest that the rest of the engine ran great on all three of them , the last one bit the dust when my daughter ran over a 1 inch rod i drove into the ground to hold a flag pole, the blade bent, the motor stopped and a hold appeared on the side of the engine... :banghead::omg::thumbs::lol:

I JUST WONDER ,,HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED TO USE ANOTHER BRAND OF CARB ON THESE ENGINES, CAN THEY FIT , IT LOOKS LIKE THE CONNECTIONS FIT, WHAT WOULD KEEP THE OTHER BRANDS FROM WORKING???????