Dhodge

518H rear end locked up

Dhodge

I picked up a 518H the other day with a locked up rear end. I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but was wondering if anyone has had experience and can give any tips. I will check the obvious such as brakes locked up, but I cant help but wonder what I might be in for here. My guess is that someone towed it, but who knows.

I have yet to work on or repair any transmitions, so this will be my first go round.

woodchuckfarmer

You could have a broken bolt in the rear end jammed between the case and the pinion gear.

ericj

is the rear locked up with the tractor running or shut off. you can not push a eaton 700 with the engine off unless you put the motion control lever all the way forward and I've had some that still wouldn't push but fire the tractor up and it will move under it's own power. i get scared when you can push it easy because that mean the rear is shot  

eric j

Dhodge

is the rear locked up with the tractor running or shut off. you can not push a eaton 700 with the engine off unless you put the motion control lever all the way forward and I've had some that still wouldn't push but fire the tractor up and it will move under it's own power. i get scared when you can push it easy because that mean the rear is shot  

eric j

Well you were right Eric. I purchased the 518H as a locked up rear end and got a Work Horse GT1800 with a good 1100 tranny in the deal. Yesterday I decided to see if the Onan would run and indeed it did after an hour of tinkering. It fired up and I proceeded to drive it around the yard with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the info!!!