Sign in to follow this  
Duff

M12 cover removal

Duff

Hi, gents!

Well, the beady eyed little b*stards bet me to it in terms of getting dryer sheets around my motor (M12 on an '89 312-8) or moving it indoors, and now the fan shroud is packed with mouse bedding.

Any tips/pointers/cautions about how to take the tins off to clean things out? It looks fairly straightforward, but I've been known to overlook the obvious in the past! :USA:

Thanks as always!

Duff :banghead:

TT

If you haven't already pulled this off, (literally :USA: ) you shouldn't have any surprises, duff. Be careful when removing the bolts as they have a tendency to corrode in the aluminum bearing plate, cylinder head, etc. and can twist off before you can say "OH CRAP!" (a little anti-seize upon reassembly is recommended. :banghead: )

Note the location of the throttle and choke controls if you have to remove any of those pieces. Beyond that, it should be a relatively easy job.

Duff

If you haven't already pulled this off, (literally :thumbs: ) you shouldn't have any surprises, duff. Be careful when removing the bolts as they have a tendency to corrode in the aluminum bearing plate, cylinder head, etc. and can twist off before you can say "OH CRAP!" (a little anti-seize upon reassembly is recommended. :banghead: )

Note the location of the throttle and choke controls if you have to remove any of those pieces. Beyond that, it should be a relatively easy job.

Thanks, TT!

Somewhere among the threads here I thought I read that some of these bolts could/should be replaced with new Grade 8's as long as it's apart. Your thoughts?

Either way, anti-seize will be applied!

:omg:

Duff :USA:

TT

I don't know of any reason you'd need to use grade 8's to hold the tins on, but you could replace all of the plain steel fasteners with stainless. (for looks and corrosion resistance) I would still use the anti-seize regardless. :banghead:

Duff

I don't know of any reason you'd need to use grade 8's to hold the tins on, but you could replace all of the plain steel fasteners with stainless. (for looks and corrosion resistance) I would still use the anti-seize regardless. :banghead:

Aah! Good idea! As I was restoring - uhh -rebuilding - the tractor, I replaced all the other non-load bearing screws and bolts with stainless but didn't even think about it for the engine - glad you reminded me!

Thanks again!

Duff :USA:

Duff

Score one for the good guys! Got the blower housing off with no issues at all (four bolts) and removed what seemed like a half bushel of mouse bedding....and one mouse that had been chopped in half by the fan blades. :USA:

Except for looking like the aftermath of dressing a deer (for the hunters among us), nothing amiss and we're back in top running condition! :horseplay:

End of thread!

Duff :banghead:

EDIT: Oh....and many dryer sheets now reside under the hood!