JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

OK,,,,,, LETS TALK SNOW CABS

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, since last year I have been hunting a snow cab. Wouldnt mind having one fro my 416 and for my 5xi as I have snow throwers for both. I know from reading some of you guys just dont like them, thats ok, to each his own. Other fellas, like duke,,, (sorry duke, had to mention you) they make thier snow cab like a mini oasis. Extra lights, heat, controls for snow thrower, etc. I could sit in there all day long jn whatever the frigid freezing snowy windy damp weather. Did I make my point.

Then yesterday when I saw fun engineer sell his tractor, I saw the cab he did for that. I seem to remember a thread he had on installing that cub cadet cab on his horse. I forgot how great that turned out. THAT was a cab.

Now my problem is,,,,, what alternatives do we have for cabs? Some of the manufactures want to charge welllllll over a grand,,,,, for what??????? A couple bucks of steel and some flimsy vinyl,,, with vinyl windows....upgrade to tempered glass with a HAND OPERATED wiper and the price goes through the roof like a rocket. NO WAY RAY,,,,,,,, not when I can spend some of that money on another wheel horse.

I like the cub cadet cab conversion,,,,, seems really sturdy and built like a brick outhouse.

Who has ideas on other cabs? Even the vinyl ones for cheaper, or something.

just wanted to throw this out there as winter is coming,,, if you have pictures please post them. I would guess maybe others think about this to, with ol man wjnter heading our way soon I am looking to be outside on my horse, clearing my driveway, but I want to be in a cab and feel like I am on a beach in Florida. Lol

ok,,, lets see who has what ideas. Thank you

• Like 1

Geno

Good post Glenn and you are right, I think we are all geting ripped off for the cost of these things.   :eusa-doh:    I've thought about making frames, I have a few cabs to go off of and am making some missing parts now that between the 2 I have them all. That would be the easy part for me, the vinyl and windows are another story. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

Geno

It does look like a Pope Mobile.   :laughing-rolling:    The fit would have to be better than that for me, I wanna keep warm too. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Lot's of gaps in the fit of an Original Snow Cab...

and mine's still like a sauna in there.    :angry-extinguishflame:

• Like 1

Geno

That's good to hear, I wondered how warm it would be in there.  Maybe I shouldn't do the modification to pull more heat off of the engine.  Or, maybe I should and put a vent in the top you can open if it gets too hot.  I hate the cold!  

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Always thought a really functional modification would be...

moving the air in there with a small electric fan so as not to fog up the windows. 

Can be quite the PITA, when the conditions are right. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

squonk

I want to see a video of someone getting in and out of a cab. I have enough trouble getting on and off a horse as it is. I may have go take Yoga classes!

• Like 4

km3h

A lot of guys fabricated cabs for their Case tractors on another forum several years ago and they turned out to be first class. Metal doors and real glass with fiberglass hard tops, radios, fans and flashing lights. The only thing not metal was the flap over the hood and leggings down the front to direct heat inside.

I wish I had the skill to fabricate stuff like that but I don't.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Were some good ideas in here too. 

AMC RULES

Sounds like you're looking for something along these lines Glenn.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Forest Road

I had a cab.

I had 2 major issues

1 I'm too dam tall to use it.

2 the thought of taking it, or parts of it off every year was just one more thing to do.

I go with the ski outfit and goggles. Blast a heater in the garage to defrost her and I'm good.

Incase you're wondering what happens to it. Wallfish has made good use of it.

• Like 1

Geno

What he did sure is cool but it will take 20-30HP to run the AC compressor and Alternator, doesn't leave much to run the tractor or the deck.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

For their intended purpose...    :eusa-doh: 

a cab shouldn't have to be complicated to work well. 

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

The cub cadet cab I had did an excellent job of protecting me while I was blowing snow. It was very simple to modify to fit my 314 – H. I didn't have to modify the cab. I just added some flat brackets on the rear of the fender as the cab was designed for a flat fender cub cadet. No other modifications needed. Surprisingly without any heat the cab heats up pretty quick just your body heat alone will create moist air causing the front windshield to fog up as someone previously mentioned. Oddly this wasn't a problem for the first seven years I used the cab. But last year with single-digit temperatures I did have a problem with frost on the front windshield so I bought a portable window defroster used in cars it worked pretty sweet. There are lots of other cabs out there for different brands that are pretty simple to modify for your use. I'd keep an eye out on craigslist and flea Bay. You'll never know what you'll find.

The Original Tractor Cab I just purchased for my new tractor is not as nice and sturdy as my other cab was but it's still a nice cab and will really keep me protected from the weather.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Timely topic.  It is snowing in the U.P. tonight.

I have used a vinyl Original Cab for my 520H for a few years.  I have it on 6 months a year, and it gets a lot of use.

I had issues with it.  Condensation, no wiper, and poor visibility, rapid wear on the corners and especially the vinyl windows.

It just isn't holding up to the use and conditions here.

Heat was never a problem.

I'm just finishing work on a Cozy Cab that I got from a salvage yard this summer.

It was on a JD, and needed a fair amount of work to get to fit, but I will be done in the next week.

IT is steel, weighs #400 pounds, and has glass windows, electric wiper, defroster fan, and additional lights.

It will ultimately need to be blasted and painted, and my "quick fixes" to get it up and running will need to be made more permanent,

but so far I am very pleased.  This should last for as long as I care to blow snow.

Edited by cheesegrader
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I had a cab

I go with the ski outfit and goggles. Blast a heater in the garage to defrost her and I'm good.

Let me understand this.. :eusa-think: ..You dress her up in the ski outfit and goggles, then blast her with a heater in the garage to defrost her after she finishes the snow blowing.

:wwp: Wifey has to see this !

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Timely topic.  It is snowing in the U.P. tonight.

I have used a vinyl Original Cab for my 520H for a few years.  I have it on 6 months a year, and it gets a lot of use.

I had issues with it.  Condensation, no wiper, and poor visibility, rapid wear on the corners and especially the vinyl windows.

It just isn't holding up to the use and conditions here.

Heat was never a problem.

I'm just finishing work on a Cozy Cab that I got from a salvage yard this summer.

It was on a JD, and needed a fair amount of work to get to fit, but I will be done in the next week.

IT is steel, weighs #400 pounds, and has glass windows, electric wiper, defroster fan, and additional lights.

It will ultimately need to be blasted and painted, and my "quick fixes" to get it up and running will need to be made more permanent,

but so far I am very pleased.  This should last for as long as I care to blow snow.

If you wouldn't mind. Could we see some pictures when you have time and are ready. That sounds really nice.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The cub cadet cab I had did an excellent job of protecting me while I was blowing snow. It was very simple to modify to fit my 314 – H. I didn't have to modify the cab. I just added some flat brackets on the rear of the fender as the cab was designed for a flat fender cub cadet. No other modifications needed. Surprisingly without any heat the cab heats up pretty quick just your body heat alone will create moist air causing the front windshield to fog up as someone previously mentioned. Oddly this wasn't a problem for the first seven years I used the cab. But last year with single-digit temperatures I did have a problem with frost on the front windshield so I bought a portable window defroster used in cars it worked pretty sweet. There are lots of other cabs out there for different brands that are pretty simple to modify for your use. I'd keep an eye out on craigslist and flea Bay. You'll never know what you'll find.

The Original Tractor Cab I just purchased for my new tractor is not as nice and sturdy as my other cab was but it's still a nice cab and will really keep me protected from the weather.

If you have the model number or something for that particular unit could you post it. As that one you barely modified seems to meet all the requirements of a wheel horse application.

Glenn

cheesegrader

Glenn,

I'm at the cabin, and don't have the cord to load pictures.

I'll put a bunch up when I get home Sunday.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Glenn,

I'm at the cabin, and don't have the cord to load pictures.

I'll put a bunch up when I get home Sunday.

thanks cheese, it sounds very long term worthy. No rush, at your conveinience.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Good post Glenn and you are right, I think we are all geting ripped off for the cost of these things.   :eusa-doh:    I've thought about making frames, I have a few cabs to go off of and am making some missing parts now that between the 2 I have them all. That would be the easy part for me, the vinyl and windows are another story.

Do I hear the start of a coroporation? " GENES COMFORT CAB COMPANY"

If you can make a cab as quick as you type,,,, we all got it made this year, nothing will be better than cruising in a Genes comfy cab.

Glenn

• Like 1

RMCIII

Ok, Now my problem is,,,,, what alternatives do we have for cabs? Some of the manufactures want to charge welllllll over a grand,,,,, for what??????? A couple bucks of steel and some flimsy vinyl,,, with vinyl windows....upgrade to tempered glass with a HAND OPERATED wiper and the price goes through the roof like a rocket. NO WAY RAY,,,,,,,, not when I can spend some of that money on another wheel horse.

Well, actually, my wiper is not hand operated. Has a low/hi-off switch, works awesome! Yes tempered glass. I do agree with the "flimsy" vinyl that is used for the exterior covering... But, it does a great job of blocking that wind when it is howling at 30 mph and the snow is whipping around... Mine came as part of the entire package, so I can't complain about the price. It also had the Beacon light, like Duke, now the wiring, will be used for a heater.... As for size.... I am 6'1" and have no issues getting in and out of the cab.

Unfortunately for us "XI" owners, there is no way to hook a fan up and direct the engine heat back into the cab.. I had thought about that, but it would not work. You guys with the 3-4-5 series would have much better luck. DUKE - how about it? Engine fan?

Now, some of you military guys may remember, cabs having a cloth material... We had a couple cabs fitted for or jammers. They were used only on extremely cold, windy days... NO I do not have a picture. But the cloth material was very heavy. I would call it military grade "tent" material.  That stuff was AWESOME..... Hey Vinyl Guy, giving you any ideas??? I'll be the first to send you my specs of my cab!!!!!

Rob

• Like 1