JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

OK,,,,,, LETS TALK SNOW CABS

Fun Engineer

If you have the model number or something for that particular unit could you post it. As that one you barely modified seems to meet all the requirements of a wheel horse application.

Glenn

Glenn

Sorry but I don't have the model number. Maybe someone here that's familiar with the older flat fender cub cadets might help. The same cab was also built for John Deere and I believe Bolens.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Ok, since last year I have been hunting a snow cab. Wouldnt mind having one fro my 416 and for my 5xi as I have snow throwers for both. I know from reading some of you guys just dont like them, thats ok, to each his own. Other fellas, like duke,,, (sorry duke, had to mention you) they make thier snow cab like a mini oasis. Extra lights, heat, controls for snow thrower, etc. I could sit in there all day long jn whatever the frigid freezing snowy windy damp weather. Did I make my point.

Then yesterday when I saw fun engineer sell his tractor, I saw the cab he did for that. I seem to remember a thread he had on installing that cub cadet cab on his horse. I forgot how great that turned out. THAT was a cab.

Now my problem is,,,,, what alternatives do we have for cabs? Some of the manufactures want to charge welllllll over a grand,,,,, for what??????? A couple bucks of steel and some flimsy vinyl,,, with vinyl windows....upgrade to tempered glass with a HAND OPERATED wiper and the price goes through the roof like a rocket. NO WAY RAY,,,,,,,, not when I can spend some of that money on another wheel horse.

I like the cub cadet cab conversion,,,,, seems really sturdy and built like a brick outhouse.

Who has ideas on other cabs? Even the vinyl ones for cheaper, or something.

just wanted to throw this out there as winter is coming,,, if you have pictures please post them. I would guess maybe others think about this to, with ol man wjnter heading our way soon I am looking to be outside on my horse, clearing my driveway, but I want to be in a cab and feel like I am on a beach in Florida. Lol

ok,,, lets see who has what ideas. Thank you

I just received my new vinyl cab from OTC. The plastic roof seems to be constructed well, the vinyl fabric looks to be just as durable as what was on my cub cadet cab. The steel frame does seem a little light but overall it appears to be well designed. I opted for the glass windshield for a total cab price of $1052.00 shipped to my door. I already have LED lights and plan on buying a wiper made for golf carts.

I really didn't think the price was that bad for what I got, considering I expect his cab the last a minimum of 20 to 30 years. Oh, and it's specifically designed to fit my tractor. No modification needed.

When I get Home from Scott's I'll take pictures of it and pictures of it installed on the tractor.

I should add that it was packaged for shipping well. No shipping damage.

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 2

doc724

From time to time I have toyed with the idea of getting a cab.  If the price was right...maybe.  I have a tall shoot blower which really moves the snow up and away and if I pay attention to the wind direction, blow back is minimal.  However, there are those times when I rotate the chute and forget to stop moving the tractor and... you guessed it...I look like frosty the snowman.

This thread, is informative.  I particularly like the comment about the difficulty getting into a cab.  Never would have thought of it.  On my 5xi, the transmission tunnel is big and there is nothing there, so I would not expect it to be a problem.  On the 314, not so sure, especially when you have boots and all that other snow gear on!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

From time to time I have toyed with the idea of getting a cab.  If the price was right...maybe.  I have a tall shoot blower which really moves the snow up and away and if I pay attention to the wind direction, blow back is minimal.  However, there are those times when I rotate the chute and forget to stop moving the tractor and... you guessed it...I look like frosty the snowman.

This thread, is informative.  I particularly like the comment about the difficulty getting into a cab.  Never would have thought of it.  On my 5xi, the transmission tunnel is big and there is nothing there, so I would not expect it to be a problem.  On the 314, not so sure, especially when you have boots and all that other snow gear on!

doc,,,,,,, good comment. I thought of the same thing after Mike / squonk posted that " someone should do a video of getting in and out of a cab" that gave me a laugh. I pictured myself trying to climb over the shifter,, imagine with your heavy winter clothes on. Lol,,,,, what a sight. And like you said also on the 5xi,,,,,,,,,, I cant see any problems there,,,, no controls to dodge and alllllllll that room in front of the seat. No problems there.

Glenn

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

I'm 5'6" and it was a problem for me. Especially if I had winter boots on.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Access is a problem.  I'm 6" #200, and I feel a little cramped.

Stepping over the center tunnel is not easy, especially when you have the seat jammed forward, the chute director handle and other related goodies in the way, and you are wearing winter boots.  I was considering converting the snowbeast to one of Matt's foot pedals, but between the space and boot issues, I think I will stick with hand control for now.

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

So here's the start of my new OTC cab installation. Sorry, I don't want to high jack this thread but thought you'd all like to see what OTC is manufacturing now. I'll start a new tread on this after I finish the installation.

Everything came in theses two boxes. Small one on the left was the safety glass windshield. The rest of the cab came in the large box.

re3ebara.jpg

Nice packaging job. Some of the smaller rods banged against each other and chipped the paint. Not very happy with the paint job.

this all came in the big box along with the roof.

ehaqu4ej.jpgpu6u9a4a.jpg

Part of the lower support system loosely in place.

dy2eqa8u.jpg

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I do a lot of small driveways where I do lot of backing up, so I feel the foot control is a must to keep one hand free to operate the hydo lift.

I find I can step in the left side and swing my 180 lbs over the seat without much trouble. I keep my 520H in a heated garage and with the amount of heat pumped into the cab thru the vented belt guard, I will be blowing snow in sneakers shorts and a Tee shirt.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Do any of you guys get nervous pumping the engine air into the cab? I guess the original wheel horse cabs have plenty of air leaks but some of these nice big sealed ones would make me nervous pumping engine air into the cab. I guess Duke has something going good there with the stack on his 520H. Would make be feel better.....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I don't see any possible way exhaust could get into the cab on my 520H. 

THIS MAY NOY BE TRUE ON OTHER TRACTORS.

The heat is being pumped from the lower rear cylinder through holes in the belt guard.

The muffler exhaust is at the front top of the engine. Even if the exhaust manifold or muffler were leaking, The pressure inside the cab should be higher than atmosphere, preventing any exhaust from entering the cab.

I believe this pressurizing of the cab with clean hot air from the rear cylinder actually would prevent any bad air from entering the cab.

If the cab completely enclosed the engine including the exhaust manifold and muffler like some heat housers on the large tractors, then the possibility of getting exhaust in the cab does exist.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

I guess what I picture is exhaust fumes being drawn into the flywheel side and then pushed in. Exhaust/ fumes can carry pretty far and with the right condition....... But I guess being in open atmosphere. There is little to no worry what so ever. Just a thought / concern.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-goodpost: I see what you are saying.

Definitely should be a concern on a C series where the exhaust is at the low left front near the air intake.

My post above was with reference to a 520H.  I certainly don't want anyone to assume all heated cabs are safe.   Each set up should be looked at individually for safety faults.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just out of what has been posted so far. It seems OCC and whomever else.Has the sno cab market locked up.

The conversion cabs a few members have done are really really nice, but expensive, hard to find, and very time consuming to work on and make them work. Just an observation so far.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Fun Engineer

Well the cab is on and frankly I like it better than my modified cub cab. It took a few hours as the directions are not as clear as they could be and parts are not labeled. Having said that, here's the positive....

Lighter=less stress on the fender and foot boards

Fits together and seals extremely well for a tube and vinyl cab.

Very roomy inside.

Built for my tractor model.

Looks good[emoji4]

The negative.

The paint on the frame is poor quality [emoji53]

be3asepe.jpgahevehuh.jpg

gudubema.jpg

I would definitely recommend these cabs. I hope to contact OTC regarding their paint process.

• Like 1

Macgyver

Hi later this year when the weather gets cooler I'll take some pictures of my 520H. I fabed up a mount that bolts down to the seat pan. That is where my Curtis hard cab bolts onto as well as the foot rests. A hard cab with real doors glass Windows and electric wipers along with heat is sweet.

• Like 1