wallfish

Eye Trauma

wallfish

I wear safety glasses once in a while but not clearly as often as I should. I'll being wearing them more often now!

Took a really good hit directly in the eye ball from the end of a piece of wire. Looked much worse when blood was pouring out. Today it's much more sore and I look like a prize fighter with the black eye.

post-658-0-34542300-1412348083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Geno

Holy cow!  I'm glad you can still use it.  :)

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Was that from a wire wheel?  In younger, dumber and indestructible days I opted not to use saftey glasses... but once I started picking pieces of wire out of my shirt and cheeks I put them on and never looked back.  You just never know when it can happen, and it only takes one piece of debris to royally foul up your eye.

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

Yep binther dun that.

Another word to all on the eye thing

Now I wear glasses all the time since

I ruined them while working in a model

Shop with the use of super glue every

Day. Cyanoacrylate the stuff has

Cyanide in it and the fumes are deadly

To the eyes. NOT GOOD !!

• Like 1

rmaynard

There are those that will look at this and start to wear safety glasses, and there are those who will still say that it won't happen to them. I have been lucky in my 64 years. Even when wearing safety glasses, last week I managed to get a tiny bit of aluminum in my eye while cutting with a sawzall. It came out with eye wash. 

We also read all the warnings on here about proper breathing protection when painting, but I bet many still ignore it. A lot of these problems don't show up right away, but later in life when you can't breathe like you used to, you start to think about the dumb things you did earlier in life.

Please listen to John and those who have warned about proper safety equipment. You only get one set of eyes, and one pair of lungs.

Protect them!

Thanks for sharing your experience John.

• Like 3

wallfish

Not a wire wheel, it was actually a piece of 1/4" wide x 15 ft metal snake used to pull and snake wires through ceilings and walls. As I was pulling the wires, I found a length of string in the ceiling so I tied the snake on to that and pulled from the other end of the string. When it was close to coming back out, the wires broke loose from the other end of the snake and it came flying into my eye. The snake has some weight to it so all that moving force was stopped with my eyeball.

I'm also one of those idiots who don't wear eye protection as much as I should. I've had quite a few things in them that needed a doctor to remove, not to mention all the numerous eye washes to get things out too. Maybe I learned my lesson this time!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Glad you're OK John.

• Like 1

neil

That looks sore john , thanx for posting this , you may have just saved someone's eyesight.

Get well soon m8

wallfish

Probably my own too Neil.

I'll definitely be more conscious and aware of it. Doctor said I was VERY lucky because it hit on the white part and could have easily blinded me or caused partial blindness if it hit directly in the lens/pupil. He used bigger words to describe the parts of the eye but you get the idea. And yes, very sore every time my eye moves plus it still feels like there's debris in it. Doc removed it all plus the pieces of my eyeball that were chipped off so he said it may take a while before that feeling goes away.

DON"T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU TOO! Wear safety glasses! I was an 1/8" away from having my life turned upside down and shaken if I was blinded by this. It could happen in the blink of an eye! (Pun intended)

AMC RULES

I'm down with the whole eye safety thing...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

but, do they go out of their way when designing this stuff..

to make you look like a dork when wearing it?     :eusa-doh:

Just sayin'...look at this guy here?  

If they made 'em so everybody looked like Thor...

then every one would be wearing 'em.   :teasing-poke:

post-3498-0-83559200-1412370770_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

Geno

That is so true, nice pic.   :laughing-rolling:

shorts

I used to have a service/safety instructor that had a pair of his own safety glasses with a 16 penny nail sticking thru one lens and a scar on his cheek to show how lucky he was.  Kind of sobering and makes you a believer in using your PPE

64s

• post-3498-0-83559200-1412370770.jpg

What does the 'Lost In Space' robot have to do with this thread??

Seriously, we all need reminders.  I almost lost sight in one eye from a blast of bleach at least 20 years ago,  now I've have gotten lazy about eye protection.  Glad you were one of the lucky ones John.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

See what I mean?    :confusion-shrug:

squonk

Better get that face shield off ASAP! I was watching CNN and all the women in NY are running around screaming like the Beatles are in town!  :scared-eek:  :angry-steamingears:  :angry-jumpinganger:  :shock:  :angry-screaming: 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah...screaming in horror.    :scared-notify:

Navig8r

Wear your safety glasses so you don't end up wearing one of these!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

post-12383-141243234916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Navig8r
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Good lookin' out.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

meadowfield

Ouch! You were lucky....

stevebo

John,

Just read this. Good to hear you are going to be okay. I need to start wearing them too. I weedwack without them and that is not good. 

SALTYWRIGHT

JOHN I HOPE THINGS TURN OUT O.K. I LOST MY EYE SIGHT IN MY LEFT EYE MANY YEARS AGO AND IT IS NOT FUN. PLEASE EVERY ONE BE CAREFUL. RUSS

tunahead72

Just want to add a quick note to what Mr. Maynard said...

If you've decided to start wearing safety glasses, or ear plugs, or whatever safety device makes sense after reading some of the stories that have come up here recently, please start TODAY.

Life's too short, it only takes one accident to mess you up permanently, and you don't get to choose when it happens.

End of lecture.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm glad you are OK John...pretty scary and lucky mate.  :)

• Like 1

wallfish

Wore my glasses all week and got used to them. Actually had a piece of electric wire roll off the ceiling tile I opened and hit the glasses. Probably wouldn't have went into my eye without the glasses but nothing wrong with making sure.  

Zeek

I'm down with the whole eye safety thing...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

but, do they go out of their way when designing this stuff..

to make you look like a dork when wearing it?     :eusa-doh:

Just sayin'...look at this guy here?  

If they made 'em so everybody looked like Thor...

then every one would be wearing 'em.   :teasing-poke:

:happy-hippy:  :teasing-poke:

I wear safety glasses once in a while but not clearly as often as I should. I'll being wearing them more often now!

Took a really good hit directly in the eye ball from the end of a piece of wire. Looked much worse when blood was pouring out. Today it's much more sore and I look like a prize fighter with the black eye.

Yikes  :eek:  . . . I had metal before, but nothing like that!  Safety glasses and ear plugs my friend  :helmet: