BOWTIE

WHEEL HORSE HOOD HINGE REPAIR

BOWTIE

SEEMS LIKE MOST OF THE 300-400 AND 500 TRACTORS THE HOOD HINGES ARE SHOT. THEY CAME WITH NYLON SLEEVE BUSHINGS THAT WORE OUT OT MISSING WITHIN 300 HOURS. THIS IS HOW BEEN REPAIRING THEM FOR NOW.  THIS IS THE 1992 310-8 I BOUGHT JUST A FIVE DAYS AGO.  THE STEEL BRACKETS WERE EGGED OUT AND MY STEEL ROD WAS GROOVED BAD. I JUST USED A PIECE OF 3/8" OD STEEL DOWEL ROD AND SOME 3/8" ID STEEL BUSHING AND WELDED THEM IN PLACE, THEN I COTTER PIN THE ROD. HERE SOME PICTURES.  

BOWTIE IN OHIO   

post-4576-0-33885200-1412298407_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-98163000-1412298431_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-30308200-1412298942_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-93504300-1412298969_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-82353200-1412299051_thumb.jp

Edited by BOWTIE
  • Like 9

KyBlue

Should work nicely! Great job

JackC

Now that is a hood hinge.  Run in to worn hinges all the time.  Wish I could weld.  Maybe I will get a welder.

KyBlue

Now that is a hood hinge. Run in to worn hinges all the time. Wish I could weld. Maybe I will get a welder.

Sounds like a good time to learn :)

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thats a great, heavy duty repair. Nice job.

Glenn

CTBT&D

I repaired two of the four I currently have. My pins were fine, the nylon bushings were gone. I bored and reamed the bracket holes to 1/2" and put in a shouldered sintered bronze bushing. The hardest part was cutting the bushing to approximately 1/4" long.

I like your idea also, should last at least 40 or 50 years. Nice job.

• Like 1

doc724

Bowtie, Wow, what a great idea!  I have used brass eyelets in the past, but this is way better.  I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea!  BTW, the problem seems to be more prevalent on tractors that did not have shaker plates under the engine.  My 1978 C141, though very old and many hours, has none of this wear

km3h

I have five 400 and 500 series tractors. I have never had the holes in the front attachomatic or whatever it is called wear. I have had the rod and attaching arms on the hood wear. Total cost for new parts is about $19.00. Easier to simply replace them.

doc724

Nick, there might be a clue in your analysis.  All your tractors are twins.  Mine were single cylinder.  It is a sure bet that the vibration amplitude at the hinge pivot points is different with the different engines and the direction of the vibration is different as well since the twins are horizontal opposed while the singles are vertical.  I never would have considered the difference!

• Like 2

PaulC

Nice job!! Does this prevent the hood rattle?

I ended up drilling mine out and putting in small bronze bushings and then used 3/8 hex head bolts with nylock nuts and washers. My hood vibrated a ton and this really cut all of that out and now it opens and closes like the hood of a car!!

Lane Ranger

Great job on the hood hinge repair Bowtie!   I had the same problem on a 312 I repaired this summer.   I had the egg shaped hinge  parts and the 3/8 rod had worn down too!

I used a new 3/8 rod and cut grooves in the 3/8 rod for the e rings .  I was surprised to see Toro no longer sold the replacement hinge  pieces so I  just JB Welded heavy duty washers on the hinge pieces and put everything back together after taking  the hood and hinges it all off the tractor.

post-339-0-29504100-1412368281_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-86437100-1412368302_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-45096500-1412368360_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-18438900-1412368338_thumb.jpg

Tankman

Nice repair on the hood hinges. Have run into the same problem numerous times.

Didn't do a great job but, drilled out the worn holes and used sleeves w/ shoulders. The bearing (or sleeve, whatever I used) is available at Lowes or Home "Cheapo."

Again, excellent repair. You should offer them for sale in the classifieds.  :)

Foozerush

Ok.... Seeing this is making me run down to the garage and check out the hood of my 416-8..... Never noticed any problem..... Fingers crossed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can whlvr

great idea,i made new brackets,but this would have been much easier,i still have the old ones and will borrow this idea to repair them