oldblue1993

Black hoods?

oldblue1993

I picked up my first black hood c145 hydro, so I started reading a bit on them and see a lot of people talking about them as if they were almost a differant brand. The thing is I can not find any real history as why they did this or why no one wants them, Can someone please help me as to find what the deal is with them. I like knowing a bit about each one I have but this one seems as thou I can not find any real info about. To me other then the hood and fenders its the same as the others "well for the most part the same". Thanks in advance and any info would be helpful.

Geno

I like them a lot, I have a 1980 C145 myself, it's the second one I ever owned.  :)

• Like 1

km3h

The only time I have ever seen one is at the show this year. Don't know much about them either.

JackC

"To me other then the hood and fenders its the same as the others "well for the most part the same". 

You have that right.  I like the C-175 Automatics with the twin cylinder Kohler engines.

This one only has 278 hours on it.

post-4541-0-57838500-1412298229_thumb.jp

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

boovuc

There isn't really much to say in regard to a story. The Blackhoods were a design change and it was one of those love/hate things.

You can easily mount a 300 or 400 series hood on a blackhood and "poof"......... You have a more modern wheelhorse!

My first wheelhorse was a blackhood which I still own. (C-175 8-Speed). Great tractor and for the record, anyone who has tried to plow or mow at night with the older design WH hoods/lights knows the Blackhoods out-shined everything up to that time with their sealed beam headlights. Down side to the BH's were the fiberglass tub fenders. Most converted to the steel pans and many were ordered or altered by the dealerships back to steel.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I've got an '83 C-175 here... :handgestures-thumbsup: 

hands down, one of my favorite :wh: workers. 

post-3498-0-40319800-1412375403_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-87006800-1412386885_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-26650800-1412387480_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-86404100-1412387760_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-97854000-1412387783_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-89369400-1412387822_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

shallowwatersailor

Currently my '80 C-105 is what I grab for the odd-jobs around the house, like moving my woodpile. I did mow with it one summer with a 42" RD.

post-3066-0-42634100-1412303845_thumb.jp

• Like 4

ericj

research 78 or 79 C161 twins. they were the first black hoods. according to ed cole the black hoods were designed to accept the new twin cylinder motors the earlier C series didn't have enough room for the factory to stuff the larger twins in so they did a redesign

eric j 

cjsdad

My first and only 'Horse is a C-85 Black-Hood.  Still working on it and still loving it.  It's a love-hate relationship sometimes, but still loving it!

When I brought it home...

img081.jpg

After a little TLC.

downsized_0318111145.jpg

• Like 5

bmsgaffer

I currently own 3 blackhoods and a 520... A C-105 was my first wheel horse (Been in my family since I was 1)

Honestly I like the looks of the blackhoods better than the newer ones, but I know most people don't like them as much as they are pretty different hood-wise than the other wheel horses.

Blackhoods are just the 1980-1985 wheel horses. They are pretty much the same as any other horse from the 1970s-1990's.

• Like 1

Trouty56

And they double as a work bench with that nice flat hood....well mine do.....

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:

Jake Kuhn

I have a 175 and a 105....I really like them...and really aren't much different from the other horses....besides hood/dash/ and fenders they are just about the same as the later c series like the c141's.

Aldon

This is a C-161 with the initial Fiberglass Blackhood and Briggs 16 Opposed Twin......Now that I have most of the mechanicals worked out, I really like it so it will be getting the full spa treatment in near future.

I really like the ride and profile of my new to me GT 14's. Feels more steady and the hydro speed more consistant yet it is slower max speed than the C-161.

So II will keep both!

post-11709-0-88368700-1412336502_thumb.j

post-11709-0-08479500-1412336528_thumb.j

• Like 4

AJ_Thanatos

Blackhoods, I have two words  :woohoo: !!

My first tractor was a C-100 then I joined this forum and saw a blackhood for the first time.. 

Now Im obsessed with them... I have my eye on about 3 of them that will make it to my stable eventually! 

I love the design!  

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

I, unfortunately, am guilty of the same thing and will second that!

• Like 2

Don1977

The shaker engine  mount is the big difference between the black hoods and the others.

• Like 1

Catmanii

I have a 1982 C-175 twin auto and I think it is a great tractor. I have had it for 14 years or so and it is just now getting a little badly needed paint. The fiberglass finders are a pain becuse they will get cracked and if you don't catch and patch the crack there will be a chunk gone before you know it. Still I have kept it looking origional and really like it.  :)

jackhammer

83 16hp

Backed out from going to Scotts

th_photo1_zpsbe34d396.jpg

Edited by jackhammer
  • Like 2

Geno

Nice tractors guys!    :text-woo:

• Like 1

PaulC

Yes some very nice tractors on this thread!! I am intrigued by black hoods myself and also don't know very much about them. A neighbor of mine has one that unfortunately just sits out in front of his garage and hasn't moved since the day I noticed it. I have never met him but often think about stopping to ask about it. There is also a 520 near me that has been outside for over 2 years now that moves randomly and occasionally that I am always scoping out, can u say addicted :bow-blue:  :wh: . Anyway if I ever meet that neighbor I am going to find out about it. If I had the room and an understanding wife id probably be like Geno :laughing-rofl: I put that wrong shes understanding just accuses me of being crazy.....and I only have 2 :wh:

• Like 2

oldblue1993

Wow nice guys, and thank you all for the info. Mine is not anywheres near that nice "yet" it was sitting outside for a few years. The guy that owned it thought the motor was seized so I gave him 50 for it. I got it home and when I started on it the starter was lodged , I removed it cleaned the gas tank put it all back together and it fired right up and drove it around with no problems. I will post some pics once I get it back together but everything was so crusty I wanted to get it all free and clean before to much running. The only problem I have with it is my wife seen it and said "is that a hydro?" I said yes why, she goes, well that ones mine!

• Like 4

Geno

Yes some very nice tractors on this thread!! I am intrigued by black hoods myself and also don't know very much about them. A neighbor of mine has one that unfortunately just sits out in front of his garage and hasn't moved since the day I noticed it. I have never met him but often think about stopping to ask about it. There is also a 520 near me that has been outside for over 2 years now that moves randomly and occasionally that I am always scoping out, can u say addicted :bow-blue:  :wh: . Anyway if I ever meet that neighbor I am going to find out about it. If I had the room and an understanding wife id probably be like Geno :laughing-rofl: I put that wrong shes understanding just accuses me of being crazy.....and I only have 2 :wh:

Never hurts to poke around and ask what they're gonna do with them.  Don't tell them you're shopping, just looking.  You may get them for free or close to it.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

If I was up there they'd probably already be gone.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 3

chipwitch

My C-125 is my first WH.  I've only ever owned JD lawn tractors (not the Home Depot consumer stuff).  I never expected to get "excited" about a tractor... sorry guys... but, the simplicity and heft are so elegant I couldn't help myself!  Now, according to the OP, black hoods aren't considered to be a real WH by some?  WOW!  I must be REALLY missing out.  I can't imagine making a better garden tractor.  It continues to impress me every time I take it out.

Nice to see so many people chime in.  I'm hearing a lot of luv out there for the black hoods.  Enjoy your C-145.  In my inexperienced opinion, the only way to beat a C Series WH is with a BIGGER C Series WH!! :)  I know, WH makes a lot of fine tractors and everyone will have his/her favorite.

That being said, did Toro continue the Black Hoods?  Could it be THAT is the "different brand" that the OP has read being talked about?

• Like 3