thehorse

Help on approx. 416-h year

thehorse

Hi all. Picking up this horse this weekend. Owner is not a horse guy and has little knowledge of the tractor. Wish he was giving it away though! From the pic could you guess the year?post-8782-0-26331300-1412292742.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The 416-H was built 1990-1997 and 1990 was the first year for the black hood decals so that doesn't help much.

Garry

thehorse

Do the hydro controls give any clues?

I'm a hydro newbie.

gwest_ca

Looks like the speed control moved up to the console in 1996.

Garry

JackC

The large text font for TORO indicates early 1990s and the motion control is on the floor and not on the column indicating the year may be 1990.

I prefer the stick on the floor motion control like in your picture over the motion control on the steering column.

The 1990 also had the smaller front wheels like he ones in the picture.

The model should be: 41-16OE01, 416-H Garden Tractor, 1990

That is  a great tractor other than the fat TORO decal on the hood.

Edited by JackC

CTBT&D

I have a '91 416H, the speed control is on the console.

boovuc

That is a key to dating it! The speed control is NOT up by the steering wheel. They moved this during 1991 as was previously stated so I would guess this is a 1990 or an early 1991 model that still used the older motion controls.

thehorse

Man....that's some tractor guru knowledge...and I appreciate it. I think I'll pick her up Sunday. 600and some odd hrs....

I think I may have the perfect candidate for the 2 stage!

• Like 1

ericj

looks good if the price is right go for it

eric j

Lane Ranger

The model number and serial number should be on a decal in the seat pan on the left side.

thehorse

Ok...po says all runs good....what should I look for....I've only owned 8 speeds. Also said it purrs but has sat for a couple years. Other than clean gas tank and fuel lines.engine oil and filter..what should I do to service hydro...I'm clueless.

Thanks

Len

ericj

change the trans oil and filter and use a toro wheel horse tranny filter it makes a difference. can you drive it or is it non runnig that lakes a difference

eric j

thehorse

Po says it runs great

PaulC

Looks nearly identical in the controls area to my 90 312H. The motion control lever has a jog in it where neutral is (as a safety precaution I think) for going from forward to reverse. I also have a 1987 312A and the motion control lever slot is straight. After being used to the straight motion of the 312A I couldn't stand the jog in the motion control on the 312H.  I ended up making a new cover plate with a straight slot for the H before I did the foot pedal conversion. No modifications need to be made to the linkage below the cover. I highly recommend the foot pedal conversion but its not necessarily cheap so if the jogging of that motion control bothers you it can easily be changed. If you are going to go that route let me know because I have the plate with the straight slot still and I would have no problem just letting you have it.

Looks like a pretty nice machine I love my 312's but have always wondered about more power!!

When I got my 312H I serviced the trans. 5 qts of 10w-30 autozone brand I think and a new napa filter. Not a ton of hours later but the oil still looks like the day I put it in. One thing ive learned since is to take out the fender support bolts which mount the fender support to the top of the trans, they are near the base of the dipstick. If you don't it fills at about 3 drips a minute so I was there for a WHILE!!! :snooty:

Good luck and keep us updated. From what ive saw on here most guys put 2 stages on 520's but maybe that 16 will run it?

Forest Road

You should be very happy with it. I agree probably 91 or 92.

Once you get it all squared away spend the money on Matt's pedal motion control kit. It's a game changer! Makes operating these things far more enjoyable.

Theroundhousernr

When filling the trans , leave the trans filter off or really loose. It will fill right up and you can leave the bolts alone so no dirt gets in. A lot of dirt tends to fill that area around the tank and what not.

• Like 1

thehorse

OK.. since i've never actually been around a hydro horse....does anyone have a link to anything that will help me out

with servicing...fluid types... capacties, filter numbers....

thanks

Len

motox25

Your best bet for that would be manual, it lists all the capacities and recommended oil. I personally use Mobil1 10W-30 with an OEM toro filter. Yours should be the same. As far as which filter to use you can put your model number located on your fender pan into a parts ordering site or toro dealer and it should give you the correct current filter used. Like others have said it takes awhile to drain so I just put a pan underneath it and leave it alone for an hour or so until it's done.

motox25

Also the drain plug is a hex head and mine was frozen tight, I had to use a hex socket to get mine out.

thehorse

All good info. And greatly appreciated. I have archery season opener tomorrow and have some deer zeroed in and pray my 12 year old gets a crack! If that wasn't good enough......I get to pick up a new horse Sunday. If I wasnt 44 I would swear it was Christmas Eve!

So one question...sorry...it is I'm sure stupid and obvious when I get the machine. The rear end will take some form of 90 weight oil and the hydro transmission, being a different unit, will use 10w30.? Honestly I'm not that stupid if it comes off that way. I've only owned 3 different 8 speeds and down to one.

motox25

The only oil I need for my 520h is premium quality 10w-30 for the transmission and 30 for the Engine. Your 416 should be the same.

motox25

Also depending on the transmission in your 416H it might not have a filter. Even more of a reason to keep it changed regularly! Your going to love the 416, they are great tractors! Post more pics when you get it.

thehorse

What transmission is in the tractor...an eaton what?

thehorse

All good info. I Thank you all and this drink of beer...gulp...is for you!

Theroundhousernr

Eaton 1100 the better of the eatons