chipwitch

First time mounting tires... tips.

chipwitch

Wow!  That just about sums it up.  Mounting tires on a tractor is a chore.  It took me all day, but I am proud to say I did it myself.

Anyway, looks good.  Much better than the tires I had...  I haven't seen a surface like my sidewalls since someone spilled a bucket of oil on a dry salt lake bed!  I mean, they were CRACKED.  3 of the tires had tubes in them, otherwise, I don't think they'd have held air.  Before I took on the task, I browsed the net, watched videos, read tips and even researched tools available for the job.  I settled on making my own bead breaker using a 6' long 2x4 bolted to my work bench.  This was the lever of the bead breaker.  I bolted a short 2x4 to the first one about 18" from the bench to act as the "shoe horn."  Both bolted joints articulated.  Later, I cut a taper on the shoe horn, making it more pointed where it met the rim.  To the tapered surface, I then screwed a 1/4"x1-1/2"x3" brass plate for strength.  Worked like a charm.  I was glad I had the extra leverage on the front tires.

Aside from the bead breaker, the only other tools used were two of the cheap $5 tire irons from Harbor Fright (typo intentional) and a flat bar (wonder bar).

Okay... here are my tips... things I didn't see elsewhere in my research.

#1 Measure the rim!!!  BOTH SIDES!!!  Geesh... SOME rims the tire will only go on one way!  I wish I had known that.  Futzed with one of the front wheels for 2 hours before I figured out one side of the rim was a good 1/4" larger in diameter.  Once I flipped it around, the tire slid right on (relatively speaking).

#2 NO LUBRICATION!  (if mounting manually).  Rather, only lubricate AFTER the tire is on the rim.  I had more trouble with lubrication than without.  Seemed to make the tire iron slippery enough, but couldn't get purchase necessary to stretch the tire over the rim.  Dry was no problem.  Once the tire is on the rim, I sprayed the bead with windex prior to inflating.  I figured that might help the bead seat.

Tip #3... take your new tires and rims to a garage and PAY THEM TO MOUNT THEM!  :razz:   Okay, I doubt I'll ever follow that tip, but boy will I be tempted.

Finally, I'll finish with this... I decided on BKT tires.  Since I plan on using my C-125 as a FEL, I bought 6-ply turf tires for the front.  I also plan on using the tiller, so I chose the TR-315 trenchers for the rear.  I had seen someone on this site talking about the diameters of the Deestones being considerably smaller than comparable brands (Carlisle?).  For that reason, I avoided the Deestones.  Sadly, the BKT's are also small.  Same size Carlisle Turf tires (23-8.5-12) were a good 2" larger in diameter.  I can't help wonder if the larger turf tires won't have nearly as much traction as the smaller trenchers.  I'm really disappointed about this.  I may try to sell them and get something else.  Anyone have any recommendations?

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:wwp:

Geno

Not worth the time to mess with that stuff yourself sometimes, I get 5.00 to mount a tire, any size.  The cussing fit would far far far outweigh the 10.00 for me.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

varosd

Chipwitch,

Now that you have it down pat, I'll drop off my Work Horse tires/rims!       try not to scratch the rust...   LOL  :rolleyes:

chipwitch

No problem Varo.... Course I charge by the hour ;)

Molon_Labe

As a youngster growing up on a farm I learned to use the front wheels of another vehicle (truck) rolling over the sidewall to break the tire bead and a few large screwdrivers to remove the tire from the rim. With an offset rim you must remove the tire from the narrow side of the offset (drop center).  E.G.,  _tire___ from the left side in this example. It's always a wrestling match and glad you got yours mounted. :)

rmaynard

...I figured out one side of the rim was a good 1/4" larger in diameter...

:scratchead:  Okay, now I'm a little confused. Are we talking about a C-125 with standard rims?

I just mounted a set of 16 x 6.50-8 tires on the front rims of my B-100 (same rim as your C-125, #105882), and both sides of my rims were 9-1/4" diameter. I had no problem mounting them from either side. Tools used were 2 large screw drivers, 1 tire iron, and Dawn dishwashing detergent.

boovuc

I'm with Geno on this one. Especially on the rears which easily fit on any garage's tire machine. I gave my local garage, (great guys too), 10 bucks to take the old rotted turf tires off, clean up the inside and bead surface of the rims and mount my new Deestone Ag tires two weeks ago. Total time was about 15 minutes.

The front tires.........................yea! Well the front tires on my 520 need changed so we will see how the spirit moves me on that chore. An eight inch rim won't fit on a car tire changer and to take it to a Lawn & Garden Dealer is going to cost more than 10 bucks.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

This works pretty good to!

20140424_164455_zpslndmwvf5.jpg

20140424_165121_zpsw88aalue.jpg

Never knew of a rim being smaller diameter on one side compared to the other side

Leaving a tire in the sun for a while will also aid in mounting it, as the rubber is more plyable.

Edited by KC9KAS

rmaynard

Is that a Harbor Freight tool?

rmaynard

Thank you!

KyBlue

I can't speak for tractor rims but the rims on your vehicles and the trucks running up and down the road are different sizes. I can mount and dismount tires workout pulling the rim off the truck on my big truck...only the outside dual drive tires though. The steer rims are facing the wrong way...

I pay to have my tires done... A motorcycle shop should be able to do the little 8" fronts... That's who did mine iirc

chipwitch

:scratchead:  Okay, now I'm a little confused. Are we talking about a C-125 with standard rims?

I just mounted a set of 16 x 6.50-8 tires on the front rims of my B-100 (same rim as your C-125, #105882), and both sides of my rims were 9-1/4" diameter. I had no problem mounting them from either side. Tools used were 2 large screw drivers, 1 tire iron, and Dawn dishwashing detergent

C-125?  Absolutely!  16 x 6.5 x 8?  Yes.  Standard?  Well.... there is where I can't say for sure.  Bought the tractor from a guy that buys and sells them.  He may have changed them, or a previous owner.

546cowboy

If you think it's hard to change those tires, try changing those little tires on the front of a Zero Turn mower. I recently had one of those come off the rim about half way. Now the one on mine just so happened to be filled with foam and believe me there is absolutely no way to get that tire back on there.

After about 5 minutes it was off to the tire shop where the guy told me "No Way" to get it back on. I had to get a new tire for it and have them install it. Of course I had to wait a day for them to get one and I thought it was well worth the $35 it cost me.