dclarke

Vintage tricycle

dclarke

A friend wants me to restore his mother's tricycle and I know next to nothing about where to look for information or parts for this old thing. Anybody into rebuilding these things or know anything that might help?

008_zps9396e975.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WOW...I wonder if American Pickers or the other show that does custom rebuilds in California may have a Web Site that could point you in the right direction.  Cool job Denny...good luck mate.  :)  Doesn't hurt to look and maybe ask.  Antiques Roadshow has a Website also with a cast of characters that may be able to help.  :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

There are tricycle specific forums out there...   :handgestures-thumbsup:

might find some help there, good luck with it Denny.

• Like 2

Brrly1

American Restoration

• Like 1

dclarke

Good ideas, guys. I knew this was the place to get started.

dclarke

Thanks, Jim!

• Like 1

64s

American Restoration

And $6500.00

• Like 3

Brrly1

I know they are pretty pricey but, I really don't think the repair to the tricycle would be Quite that much.I still think it's a good show to watch along with several others on Discovery or even the History channel works for me

• Like 1

Coadster32

Cool find. I'm sure you'll do it justice. :handgestures-thumbupright:

GlenPettit

Denny:

Let me know the gauge or OD of those handlebars.  I'm in the process of making some 3" long by 1/2" black hand grips, they are the same ones used on the Bolens 'Garden Master' riding tractors from the 40's, but they were originally used on small tricycles, like your picture.  

The Bolens restorers just can't find them anywhere, all the original ones have broken down/apart.   I'm going from some old photos I blew up to try and reconstruct them to match the original Bolens ones.

Will try and add a photo asap, if they'll fit, I'ld be glad to send you a pair as a gift for your restoration.

Glen

IMG_0001_zpsb2afae0c.jpg

Either of these pairs should work and be a match.  

FYI:  I'm in the process of make them now, the home-made jig on the left lets me control the depth, straightness and centering of the core (where metal handle is it slips on to), the molds are in the center and the grey rigid casing for support during casting. The mold & core are soft Silicone and grips will be epoxy rubber.  I'm still in the process of sanding and carving, and will probably have to make 3-4 generations of casts before they are reasonably correct to use as a "Master Mother", sure wish I had a lathe for these.  Will probably be December before they are ready.  I'm still having fun doing (or trying to do) 'what can't be done' in making restoration parts.  GP

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

dclarke

Denny:

Let me know the gauge or OD of those handlebars.  I'm in the process of making some 3" long by 1/2" black hand grips, they are the same ones used on the Bolens 'Garden Master' riding tractors from the 40's, but they were originally used on small tricycles, like your picture.  

The Bolens restorers just can't find them anywhere, all the original ones have broken down/apart.   I'm going from some old photos I blew up to try and reconstruct them to match the original Bolens ones.

Will try and add a photo asap, if they'll fit, I'ld be glad to send you a pair as a gift for your restoration.

Glen

Thanks for the offer, Glen. These handle bars are 3/4" dia. so I'm not sure your grips would fit. They would certainly add a nice touch to this project though, you do amazing work!

dclarke

I got the handlebars and wheels painted then sent the wheels to "Rideable Bicycle Replicas" in California to have the solid tires installed.  These tires are cut to length, the rubber has a hole in it that a wire is inserted into. It's then installed, the rubber is pulled back and the wire is either twisted tight or pulled tight and brazed to hold the tire on. It took a lot of searching to find someone to do this, I'm glad I had this done by someone that knows what he's doing rather than try it myself.

001_zps02b3e14f.jpg

003_zpscb3a4548.jpg

005_zps0d1be50e.jpg

Edited by dclarke
  • Like 7

AMC RULES

Humm...who knew?   :eusa-think: 

Coadster32

They look great!!

• Like 1

Geno

It will be like brand new!   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Denny:

If you have not found a pair of Grips yet, I can make those tricycle grips with a 3/4" core, and will be.

Learned that that same style was also available in 5/8" as well as 1/2", but there is room for a larger

3/4" core, so I'll be making some.  They were the style of tricycle grips used in the 30's & 40's, and

again, they were also used on one & two wheel garden tractors way back then (also called 'Mules'),

and that's why I started to make grips, for restorations, since the original grips are all gone.

PM me your home address if you want a pair, as a gift, if you post a finished photo when all restored.

The originals were black, but I can make them in any color (red, pink, . . . but not Green).  If people

wanted to add colored stringers, they just drilled their own hole in the grip for it.

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

dclarke

Thanks, Glen. I'd love to have a set of Red grips for this. P. M. Sent. You're the Best!

Zeek

That looks cool.  I like anything vintage that is restored  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Martin

Turned out really nice Denny. Kent did an old tricycle a couple years ago. I painted it at work and he put it all together. It had the solid rubber tires and similar handgrips. Jeanine found some replacement grips online but they were expensive and not exactly like the originals. Kent sold it to one of Jeanine's friends who had a small grand daughter. Made a nice Christmas present. I will have to see if I can dig out some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Denny, that came out "eye popping" sharp.  It is great to see memories like that brought back to life.  WOW !!!  :)

• Like 1

JimD

Beautiful! :thumbs2::):thumbs2:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  Really did turn out really nice Denny. 5da3b431.gif

• Like 1

ronwh

Denny,

You do great work, I am sure she will love it.

Ron

• Like 1