Tankman

Work Horse

Tankman

Painting our '83 Work Horse.

What were the colors? We used black enamel on the frame even though all our Horses are red.

The gray? Sporting Rustoleum #7786 Smoke Gray. Hey, at least saving the old Horse from the scrap yard.

I did look for Linc/Merc Pewter/Gray, didn't find it.

Going to remove the donuts and sand blast the wheels. What colors were Work Horse rims? 'Till now we've only used red, sheet metal, frames, etc. Linen or off white, rims. then silver rims. What next?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looking good...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

I vote gloss black for the wheels. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Not a fan of the flat Briggs muffler. Looking for qualified information from the well time tested forum members.  :)

As you can see, the Briggs muffler is short flat, box. Heat caused the deterioration of the right side Horse decal.

I think, "If the heat were best distributed out 'n down or up, this condition would be eliminated.  :eusa-think:

Perhaps an image or two, three, four, options for this "condition?"

N3PUY

I painted this one Rustoleum Smoke Grey.   I didn't stick to any original colors ... It is "MY" WorkHorse!

post-6866-0-82484700-1411909052_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Your Briggs looks like the perfect canidate for a stack, and a rain cap to me Tankman.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Edited by AMC RULES

Tankman

Looking good...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

I vote gloss black for the wheels. 

I'm in agreement. When all red in my barn, was easy. 

Now, by chance, picked up this Work Horse. 

Pulled the steering wheel off yesterday, was easy enough. I replaced the plastic shaft cover. The old plastic was broken 'n hanging, looked like junque. Nice now, looks good. I'm holding the wheel on with a drill bit, will pick up a roll pin today.

The seat was kaput, bent and ripped to shreds. A $60 TSC seat works. Done.

All hardware, as we go, is replaced with SS and Never-Seez or Threadlocker Blue. 

Tankman

I painted this one Rustoleum Smoke Grey.   I didn't stick to any original colors ... It is "MY" WorkHorse!

attachicon.gifIMG_5440.JPG

I like the red frame and belt guards. Guess the gray belt guards, looks too unexciting to me, look great WH red!

Very nice!

Used some old wheels, 8.50's for now. The wheels I got with the Horse are 9.50's but junque, old and broken up bad. After I sand blast the rims, new donuts.

With the grandsons' eagerness, go get 'em attitude, the project is movin' quicker than I ever did!  :laughing-rofl:

Edited by Tankman

Tankman

Your Briggs looks like the perfect canidate for a stack, and a rain cap to me Tankman.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Where can I pick one up? 

KyBlue

Tsc should have them... EBay... Not sure how the muffler attaches on that Briggs so I can't give ya more help... All mine are kohler.

Looking good on the restore. Keep up the awesome work! What a project for the grandson to learn on.... More kids need this... Not just video games

Tankman

Tsc should have them... EBay... Not sure how the muffler attaches on that Briggs so I can't give ya more help... All mine are kohler.

Looking good on the restore. Keep up the awesome work! What a project for the grandson to learn on.... More kids need this... Not just video games

Till recently, all Kohler. A stack would be easy enough! This Briggs, so far runnin' OK but, doesn't feel like a Kohler.

TSC might have them but, doubt it. Have looked numerous times at their exhaust pipes 'n mufflers. None seemed garden tractor.

I'll keep looking, need a stack.  :laughing-rofl:

post-8021-0-37283000-1411920067.jpg

• Like 1

KyBlue

You might have to check their book ... Some of the special order stuff??

I have one similar to what you pictured, but I've had it for the last 20 years ... in a box. lol  I'll be mounting it in place of the factory muffler on my b80 since the OE is blown out and loud..

oaktown1987

Using rattle cans or air paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky

The toughest part of a stack exhaust will be fabricating the 2-into-one header :scratchead:  . You do still have the Briggs twin under the hood right?

Mike..........

Tankman

The toughest part of a stack exhaust will be fabricating the 2-into-one header :scratchead:  . You do still have the Briggs twin under the hood right?

Mike..........

The Briggs twin is still yes, under the hood. 

I was wondering if P/N 676B could be used to bring the exhaust out 'n up, or down, to deflect the exhaust more efficiently.

Guess I could weld an elbow to the  P/N 676B to accomplish the chore? Or might a new exhaust manifold shown in the same engine listings do the trick? Appears various configurations are available.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=303447-1147-A1&dn=96910008

Edited by Tankman

Tankman

Was thinkin', "Son has a trashed handicap rail from a recent job."

We cut the rail, stainless with welded flanges. Pulled out the pop rivets.

The Dewalt cutoff saw did the trick.

Then we thought, sounds great. We tried to use the fall off from out first try.

Sounds great and the heat is rising. Sounds like sunrise at Camp Lejeune!  :laughing-rofl:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

Geno

Now that is cool!   :text-woo:

Tankman

Too much gray, liked N3PUY's red belt guard and clutch linkage guard.

So......

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

Sparky

Good idea on the exhaust! Is it far enough out to not wreck the hood decals?

The red body parts.....um.....sorry but I'm not a fan :eusa-whistle: . Makes the tractor look like it was pieced together.

Mike...........

Tankman

Good idea on the exhaust! Is it far enough out to not wreck the hood decals?

The red body parts.....um.....sorry but I'm not a fan :eusa-whistle: . Makes the tractor look like it was pieced together.

Mike...........

The exhaust seems far enough out. But, the engine is hot anyway, radiating heat. Time'll tell if the decal lives.

The gray / red does seem unmatched. Still thinkin'.

At the moment we are tunin' the exhaust.  :laughing-rofl:

Thanks, Mike

Edited by Tankman

N3PUY

The gray / red does seem unmatched. Still thinkin'.

Thanks, Mike

attachicon.gifWork_Horse_Tuning_ExhaustWWW.JPG

The RED looks OK on mine BUT on your's it really stands out.

Maybe you need to paint the wheels  :ychain:

Originally I was going for the "red, white, blue" theme and that is how it got blue wheels.  :flags-usa:

Oh! I see .... your frame is black!   My guards blend in with my red frame. ;-)

Joe

Edited by N3PUY

Tankman

I like how your Horse looks, very nice! The Red, White 'n Blue has me thinkin' again.........

Owned Wheel Horses for over 40 years, first the sons...........nowadays, grandsons.

Nuts like Joe (you) and Art (me) are all over Red Square!   :laughing-rofl:

WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) is contagious!