KyBlue

05-42MS05 Refurb

KyBlue

This is the deck that came with the 418A.   I pulled it off and put it on the B when the Kohler was found to be critically wounded on the 418A.  It cut like Poo ... The blades weren't level and you could watch the shell flex when I picked up on the lift. Not good!

Since it's the end of summer It's time to redo it. Being as everybody loves pictures ... I'll do my best to document what I do.

I pulled the Lift Linkages and the wheels off tonight, in order to search for, and mark any/all cracks and damage.  Four Cracks, One WTF area that is going to have to be totally cut out and patched, and a tiny pinhole of rust.

I haven't Stripped the inderside yet, but I suspect a couple of the baffles are going to need to work too.

20140927_212342_zpsi7yhryab.jpg

20140927_212349_zpsdx5rwwjk.jpg

20140927_212357_zpsms1tkkpq.jpg

20140927_212404_zps5hjey6yw.jpg

20140927_212422_zps2i1bsyzf.jpg

I'll be pulling the Spindles off, and getting the rest of the deck stripped soon, then I'm going to turn the media blaster on it.  Once the Cracks and em, prior damage repaired It'll get Primed and Painted.

• Like 1

KyBlue

A bit of a update for you ... rust  repair is done!  however when I put the shell back together I noticed the blades were uneven (the cause of it cutting like poo) ... after scraping away the grass and debris around the spindles ... I found  half missing spindles! Two of the four bolts were gone on one, and the other only only had three...

Pics are coming

tmp_17517-20150725_0921342139963419.jpg

Edited by KyBlue

KyBlue

tmp_14992-20150725_0921502139963419.jpg

PaulC

Unfortunately this is pretty common stuff but fortunately your deck shell really isn't that bad. I have a couple spindles housings messed up like yours on a deck I'm fixing. Mine still have about half a hole and I was thinking of going with a longer bolt and putting a nut on the back? Spindle housings are not cheap!! Good luck with your repairs and keep the pics coming. 

bmsgaffer

Thanks for the update Blue.

I have had a couple spindle housings rot away like that and the grass makes them look whole!

Looking forward to following progress!

slammer302

I have a good housing i would sale if you are intrested KyBlue

KyBlue

Already have the housings - I needed two so I reached out to someone who I knew would have them... sadly now I'm waiting for two bearings

I did find quite a  few cracks in the Shell under the pullies. Ground them out a bit and welded them up. More pics when my bearings come in.

6203-RS1 if anybody needs the # (the 6203-2RS won't fit so beware)

can whlvr

the shells of the mower decks are a constant repair issue,and they do wear out,thats why a lot of people get rid or their wheelhorse,they can buy a new cheapo lawn tractor cheaper than a deck when priced at dealer,i just picked up a c160 because of this heres a pic of my bought from new 42 sd ,I had to replace the whole top of the deck,but its so smooth when running because I used 5/16 plate,
014.jpg