gwess

Throttle Control and the Idle Adjustment Body

gwess

Hello,

So i finally got my Wheel Horse running after some work. I have rebuilt the carburetor and now I need to fine tune it. However, I have an issue. My engine idles lowest, but not all the way, at mid throttle. If i push the throttle down all the way my engine revs back up. While i go through the throttle i can witness the idle adjustment spring body go like this:  

Throttle all the way open, Idle Spring and body all the way up.

Throttle midway, Idle spring and body close to all the way down.

Throttle closed, idle spring goes back up a bit to midway. 

Any thoughts would be great. 

Thank you,

rmaynard

What model Wheel Horse, and what engine are we talking about here?

gwess

Ha! Yeah that would help. Sorry about that. 83 GT 1142: 11hp briggs. Not only am I having the issue above but it is jumping to high revs on its own and then is hard to get back down to lower idle. I can use my finger an push the idle spring body down and than it'll rest there and idle low. It stalled and wouldn't start so I checked the spark plug, which is new, and it was really black. Cleaned it up and it started right up. So it would seem to be running ver rich but not a lot of smoke. Any thoughts out there?

gwest_ca

There are some instructions in the engine's owner manual that may help.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/3838-engine-bs-11hp-hs-252417-om-iplpdf/

Your dash throttle control cable pulls on a spring to increase rpm. The spring is connected to the governor arm. The governor tries to reduce rpm and it's force is proportional to engine rpm, The balance of these opposing forces determines the position of the governor arm which is connected to the carb throttle by a link.

Garry

gwess

Hey guys thank you for the responses. 

I can see pretty clearly the relation of the governor arm, spring and throttle body with the carb. 

I tried to adjust the throttle cable with little effect on my issue. 

To note, when the throttle is set to choke the governor body does not touch or push in the choke link. 

I am sure there is a slight adjustment to be made here. I am wondering if it is the carb link that needs adjusting. Is it possible that i hooked the carb link up backwards and it is just off enough to not allow my throttle to push far enough to activate the choke? When i move the throttle lever through the motions it matches the points on the throttle body just fine. 

Also, my engine is running rich. How do i tune for this, especially with the throttle out of sync, How many turns out should the top adjustment screw be?

Thanks, 

gwess

Hey guys,

I got the carb tuned up pretty nicely. I was able to get out and push some dirt piles back into the holes and it did a heck of a job. My dad was super imprssed and made sure I wasn't planning on selling. :-)

I adjusted the throttle cable down on the throttle body a bit and I also adjusted the governor a bit and now I can at least find the idle position a bit easier with my throttle lever. It is still quite a bit off though. My throttle has little range and is super sensitive. if I throttle all the way down it still raises my revs up way high and I am still not getting any choke if I raise my throttle lever all the way up to choke. The choke press just doesn't go far enough to push in the choke plunger. Also I'm still getting wild revs. I know the governor still needs further adjusting. Any tips?