edwroy

Snow Blade edge

edwroy

To protect the concrete and blackop driveways - what are you all using for the cutting edge on your snow blades?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

Sparky

My driveway is asphalt and the standard metal cutting edge leaves no marks/damage at all. My plows are hanging off the lift mechanism with chain-links and not a solid lift link so only the weight of the plow is on the driveway, no extra force. I don't run chains because they will mark up a driveway.

Mike..........

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I used this last winter made from a horse mat from TSC because I plow my neighbors driveways as well as mine, and two had serious $$ repaving done last year.  It worked well and was cheap. But that plow was sold and replaced with a genuine Toro Wheel Horse plow for this year. Now I have done work on my driveway so I will need to duplicate it plus make skid strips from a cutting board for my snowthrowers.

post-3066-0-44954400-1411839580_thumb.jppost-3066-0-51632500-1411839615_thumb.jp

And in action. It still clears all but ice.

post-3066-0-69653300-1411839728_thumb.jp

• Like 2

rmaynard

I use the 1/4" steel edge that came with the plow. I have an asphalt drive. No marks from the plow, but the chains do mark the driveway a bit. I've flipped the edge once, and just ordered a new one last week as mine had worn quite badly. The two edges of this plow have lasted since 1984. Nothing against your rubber edge John, but I can't see it lasting more than a season on my drive.  :)

Pocketraisins

I am going to try the rubber edging on the blade this year. I have a LARGE roll of conveyor belt from a tub grinder my one government worker friend gave me. It is super heavy duty and reinforced with nylon webbing.

I think it will last for a few seasons....and if not, I will have plenty left to make a new one. Im also going to make up the kit to install on my single stage snow thrower as well as my walk behind blower. We WILL see!  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

varosd

I used a strip of UHMW plastic (think white cutting board stuff).  used a 3/4 piece from Mcmaster-Carr.  works great and yes it does wear over a couple seasons. there are some old posts out there on this subject and also using the same material for the snow thrower skids.

Why are we talking about snow?   It's Leaf Season (war)!!! :D

shallowwatersailor

I used a strip of UHMW plastic (think white cutting board stuff).  used a 3/4 piece from Mcmaster-Carr.  works great and yes it does wear over a couple seasons. there are some old posts out there on this subject and also using the same material for the snow thrower skids.

I agree, Don. At some point soon I will have about 5-6 weekends of Leaf Patrol!

Ethan and Randies horses

My friend uses real thick plexi glass on his

Pocketraisins

I have heard that the white (I believe its called phenolic) plastic works great. I have been told it is nice and slick and doesn't mark but does wear fairly quick.

Tankman

Gravel and millings driveways, use the WH plows as they are.

I do spray WD-40 along the top edge of the scrapping edge on occasion.

When I park in the barn after plowing, I always back in on 2x6's or whatever to keep chains and lowered blade out of the drip, drip, drip.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Hey John:

I like that idea... I am wondering if TSC has that stuff in different thickness..... Taper an edge on 1 side and wha-la, rubber blade for a snowblower!

Rob

specialwheelhorse

Maybe one of our trucker buddy's can chime in here

My old buddy next door done some trucking of big rock

And his old dump bed was nearly wore thru and

He had some kind of heavy black liner put in seemed to last quite

Well and was very slick. Looked like enough in that bed for

Umpteen dozen plow edges.

rmaynard

I agree, Don. At some point soon I will have about 5-6 weekends of Leaf Patrol!

I am looking at my Cyclone Rake right now. Just pulled it out of the shed to unfold it. Now that that is done, the "back-flipping" Commando 8 is going to have to go out to pasture until leaves are done and I can fold the Cyclone back up and hang it on the wall.

Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzze don't start talking about snow so soon. I know the horses love to play in the stuff, but like John said, let get the leaves picked up first.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Hey John:

I like that idea... I am wondering if TSC has that stuff in different thickness..... Taper an edge on 1 side and wha-la, rubber blade for a snowblower!

Rob

Rob,

The mats are 1/2" thick for cushioning the horse's hooves in a stall. I think that the snowthrower edge is at a greater angle of attack so I'm not sure if that would be what you want. The skids are what really ride on the surface.

When I check out my walk behind for the season, I use a 1/8" thick paint stirrer for a gallon can for setting the height. FYI: The stirrers for the five gallon pails are about 1/4" thick. Easy-Peasy measuring!

John