tom h.hill

doesnt run smooth

tom h.hill

well i bought a new carb,after market fuel pump,new plug and points an condensor.figured out the wiring.its running but at low rpms ansorta high rpms i cant seem to get it to smooth out.i try adjusting the carb an thepopping almost goes away but not fully.oh yeah it is hard to get started.i get on it take a couple of laps around the yard get back to the garage put in nutral an then it just quits altogether.an then wont start foe awile.to get it started i have to hold my hand over the mouth of the carb.i noticed a couple of times when the idle was up the battery terminal on the voltage regulator the conection was sparking.WHATCHA THINK.

gwest_ca

Tom

What model tractor is this and what engine?

Garry

tom h.hill

sorry about that.its my awsome 1054 10hp.

rmaynard

Is the carburetor a new OEM carburetor, a new after-market carburetor, or a new to you used carburetor?

Tighten all of your electrical connections if they are sparking.

tom h.hill

new new carb.im in the house now but im pretty sure its a carter.

Edited by tom h.hill

oldredrider

Double check your condensor. Make sure it is hooked to the - post on the coil and is mounted to a good ground.

tom h.hill

im heading out an check that now.thanks

KyBlue

Keep us posted!

stevasaurus

The points should be set at .020, maybe try the gap at .018.  The gap controls the timing and sometimes on these old machines the smaller gap works better.  :)

tom h.hill

well im redoing everything fromthe points an condensor.making the choke cable an lever glide back an forth easyier.checkin grounds thank you all for your input.ill be intouch.thanks again

tom h.hill

went out worked on it most of sunday checked elec conections and grounds.thier good.rechecked points gap 18 condensor good ground .reran choke cable now it operates nice an smooth.im getting gas and spark and it still wont start.the only way i can start it is by giving it a shot of either an then it only stays running for a few seconds.oyeah i adjusted carb.turned both screws in an backed them out 1 1/4 turn an then try ajusting them from there.no luck.cant figure out what aint right.s/g was just bebuilt new voltage reg.no clue

stevasaurus

Disconnect the line going from the fuel pump to the carb and see if gas spurts out when cranking the engine.  I chased a fuel problem like what you are describing all the way back to the tank one day.  There was a white spider in the tank blocking the fuel line just enough to make it run like yours. Flushed out the spider and it ran great (after readjusting the carb, because now it was getting gas).  :bow-blue:  :)  

I know you said the carb was new, but this only takes a second to check.  Take out the adjustment screw that is on top of the carb.  There is a small hole in the shaft of that screw near the point.  Take some carb cleaner and a piece of wire that will fit in the hole and make sure it is not clogged.  This happened on my B-100.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

rmaynard

Hmm...have you checked the gas cap to be sure that the vent is open?

• Like 3

WH nut

How was the gasket carb to block?

Firpo701

went out worked on it most of sunday checked elec conections and grounds.thier good.rechecked points gap 18 condensor good ground .reran choke cable now it operates nice an smooth.im getting gas and spark and it still wont start.the only way i can start it is by giving it a shot of either an then it only stays running for a few seconds.oyeah i adjusted carb.turned both screws in an backed them out 1 1/4 turn an then try ajusting them from there.no luck.cant figure out what aint right.s/g was just bebuilt new voltage reg.no clue

I always back the adjustments out 2 1/2 turns and then adjust...
  • Like 1

tom h.hill

well let me tell ya.backed out the screw on top cleaned it.put it back.disconnect fuel line from carb turned it over not squirtin nothin out from fuel pump.now its a straight line to the inline fuel filter an then straigh line to the glass bowl attatched to the gas tank.well gavity should let the gas pour out in a way.but nothin.so im going to eliminate the glass bowl i got a new inline filter and new line.back to fuel pump an we should be good.thank you for pointing me in the right direction.tomorrow after work you no what ill be doing.thankyou very much. ill get back to ya once its all hooked up.seeya

tom h.hill

no good.need to get another fuel pump.this is drivin me crazy.when i crank it over the gas is not squirting out the fuel pump.the origianl pump was metal this replacement one is plastic.anyone no where i can find a metal one?

stevasaurus

Do you have the old one??  You can take it apart and clean it.  It has 2 metal balls in it...one lets gas in the pump from the tank side and the other keeps gas from draining back down from the carb.  I am not sure, but is it possible to mount your new one upside down?  Sorry, I had to ask.  :)

Martin

Did you pressurize the tank to make sure no air is in the line between tank and fuel pump. If you have any air in there it will make it hard for the pump to be able to move gas in the line when cranking. Being a 1054 I would use a clean toilet plunger or similar and make sure you get the line full of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

rmaynard

If you are getting no flow of gas from the glass bowl when you disconnect the inlet tube from the pump, another pump probably isn't going to help. You need to find out why the gas is not flowing out of the tank by gravity

• Like 2

tom h.hill

i did everything everyone suggested.nothin.so i pulled the fuel pump off again turned it over an heard something rattle inside of it.so i open the pump up shoock it an out of the arm there came out this crab claw piece an on the the ends of it you could see it broke off the end of the arm  cause it was what fastened the plunger part of the pump to the arm.so now i got to get another pump.sure dont want another plastic one.i saw online a couple of origanal ones but they want way way to much money an then you dont no if its any good .or if it works you dont no how long it will last.ya no what i mean.thanks everyone again.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I've been using a plastic pump for about six years on my B-100. No problems. If the pump was purchased new, I'd return it. Buying a used pump is risky unless the seller is willing to guarantee it with full return privileges including shipping.

stevasaurus

Excellent, Looks like you found the problem.  :)

tom h.hill

Well until I find a good pump. I saw this guy make up a different way using a Briggs an Stratton fuel pump. It looked like he new what he was doing. An it worked. This is only temporary.ya it sure does work.now i just need to add a gasket to to piece i made up.man what a difference in running getting a good constint flow of gas.rerun all the lines and secure everything an thats one problem done  .i made a stainlees steel air breather similar to one   of the pics i saw in the gallery of photos.that bolted up perfect to the carb.thanks for your input everyone.

Edited by tom h.hill