Hodge71

416 Charging High

Hodge71

As amny know Im redoing a 1996 416 for my Dads 75th birthday in a few weeks. I got the wiring pretty well wrapped up last night and fired it up to see the operation of the new voltage meter and also the hour meter. The voltage meter was reading over 16 volts at high idle...say around 1800-2000 rpm. Is this normal? All my Kohlers charge around 14.5- 15 volts. Now to be fair I didn't run it very long and it has sat for a couple weeks so the battery is definitely less than fully charged. I will try again tomorrow when I have more time to see if it goes back down once it runs longer. I'm not familiar with the Onans so I wasnt sure if this is normal

km3h

Using a meter, measure the voltage at the battery with engine off and then running. The Wheel Horse meter may be out of calibration.

• Like 1

Hodge71

Its not a Wheel Horse meter...its aftermarket and I measured it with the tractor off and running...>According to my Fluke....12.2 volts off...17.1 at fast idle and 15.5 at engine idle ...I would ay the meter I installed is dead on

Trouty56

Jeff....I only owned 1 onan for a short period.....after buying a new aftermarket regulator it was dead on 14.4.....

rmaynard

Make sure that the regulator is properly grounded.

• Like 2

Hodge71

Make sure that the regulator is properly grounded.

Ok Bob....Wheres the regulator and how do I make sure its grounded correctly? I never touched it...at least Im assuming because I have no idea where it is. The only ground I touched was the main ground wire from the battery to the engine block and I assume that is good as well because the tractor starts with no issue. 

rmaynard

Since I don't own one, I'm not sure where the regulator is on a 416, but it has to be mounted either to the frame or engine. If it's not a bad ground, it's probably a bad regulator.

mike416

I have a 416H Onan and love it. Facing the flywheel side, the regulator is located on top of the engine shroud on the right hand side (right of the air cleaner). Its a small, rectangular (about 1" x 2") part that has 3 electrical terminals coming out of it. It looks similar to a Kohler command voltage regulator. The two outside terminals are your AC in, and the center terminal is your DC out. Check the DC terminal with your meter (DC terminal to negative on battery) and see what it shows. If its putting out more than say around 14.9 at full throttle, I would think your regulator is bad and is over charging. If you have any concern that the regulator isn't grounding properly, then add a small ground wire from the regulator mount bolt to one of the bolts that hold the cover (metal heat shield) over the engine head on that side. I do not know the exact Onan specs for this application, but my 416 has always made around low 12's at idle and high 14's at full throttle. Hope this helps and Good luck!

• Like 2

Martin

looking at the is pic its right above the fuel pump and just left of the fuses. right on top of the rear cylinder shroud where the red wire is curving around to a terminal........

post-4321-0-55647600-1411848926_thumb.jp

heres a slightly better pic. the regulator is right at the bottom of the pic....

post-4321-0-36432100-1411849121_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1